Ok, so I need some opinions...

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

wikd69

Ok, so I need some opinions...

#1 Post by wikd69 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:45 pm

I'd like to get some feed back from the group.

I'm upgrading to a full return flow fuel system, installing a new 4-port Aeromotive regulator along with new carb lines, etc.

Here is a shot of work in progress, installing a new -10 return port in the cell. The long tube is supposed to prevent aeration of the fuel during operation.

I'm still fabricating, but below is the mounted Aeromotive fuel regulator and new carb fuel lines. I ran the lines up and back to avoid the throttle linkage and keep the lines away from motor and blower heat. Also, they should air-cool at speed, so there is a benefit to having them this way (or at least that's my thought).

Now here's a question for the group, and it's really just an issue of the 'coolness' factor of the end result:

Do the new carb lines look a little too Buck Rodgers ? <laffin> It may sound goofy, but I'm wondering whether or not to leave these lines like this. I've not been able to locate other rides with a fuel setup like this, so I don't have any examples to consider. The alternative would be to run them down lower.

I'd appreciate opinions from the crowd.

1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

supernova

Re: Ok, so I need some opinions...

#2 Post by supernova » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:24 pm

Can you say ( beam me up Scotty!)
No just kidding.
The only thing I see that might be a concern is the 180 deg. turn to the carb inlets. I would put the inlets on the other side of bowls so that they have a straighter shot to the bowl.
It might also look cleaner too.

But what do I know, I'm a nitrous guy! :mrgreen:
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

wikd69

#3 Post by wikd69 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:43 pm

supernova wrote:Can you say ( beam me up Scotty!)
No just kidding.
The only thing I see that might be a concern is the 180 deg. turn to the carb inlets. I would put the inlets on the other side of bowls so that they have a straighter shot to the bowl.
It might also look cleaner too.

But what do I know, I'm a nitrous guy! :mrgreen:
Unfortunately, I can't use the forward facing bowl inlets on the drivers side, the throttle linkage and mounting brackets interfere. That's why I went with the 150 degree hose ends and rear inlets. I don't like the u-turn the fuel makes but I don't think it'll be a performance or flow inhibitor. I could have used the forward inlets on the passenger side, but then it'd be asymmetrical in appearance. I'm really OCD about that sort of thing :-)

And I'll try not to hold the nitrous thing against you, we all have our bad habits :mrgreen:

supernova

#4 Post by supernova » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:56 pm

[quote="wikd69
And I'll try not to hold the nitrous thing against you, we all have our bad habits :mrgreen:[/quote]

Now thats funny! :lol:

I think your set-up will be ok. It doesn't look that bad :smt119

I do like your car! It's clean not a bunch of over the top junk the you don't need. Watched your video's and it seams to run good. I think I would go up on the gear though. It seams to labor some. Maybe loosen the converter some.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

sc racing

#5 Post by sc racing » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:12 pm

I know you just made all those lines and spent a bunch of $$$ on the fittings but I think hard lines look a lot cleaner. Its cheaper too but harder to work with. Dont get me wrong it looks good and I dont think you will have any flow problems I just like hard lines.

wikd69

#6 Post by wikd69 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:34 am

supernova wrote:

I do like your car! It's clean not a bunch of over the top junk the you don't need. Watched your video's and it seams to run good. I think I would go up on the gear though. It seams to labor some. Maybe loosen the converter some.
It doesn't look *that* bad ? Well *there's* an overwhelming endorsement :lol: :lol:

I guess we're even now after my nitrous dig :nutkick:

Yeah, the converter was purchased for the prior motor build. It didn't make near as much power and the cam was a lot milder. I can make up for it by swapping blower cogs, going from 9% under to 1-to-1 or 9% overdriven. This will both increase boost and will move it lower in the rpm band, helping out with my lower end. Dunno if I'm going there, but it's an option. I had to make some compromises when I built this thing, wanting something pretty streetable and still capable of hitting the track on occasion. When I did the motor build this last time I also swapped out a set of 4.88's out for 4.10's and went with a stouter carrier and 33 spline Mosers.
Last edited by wikd69 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wikd69

#7 Post by wikd69 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:38 am

sc racing wrote:I know you just made all those lines and spent a bunch of $$$ on the fittings but I think hard lines look a lot cleaner. Its cheaper too but harder to work with. Dont get me wrong it looks good and I dont think you will have any flow problems I just like hard lines.
I opted for the hard lines originally for the exact same reason. I didn't like the cowboy look of the soft lines, but that was before I made the move to this high volume fuel system. Now I need a full return flow system and need keep the juice cool near the carbs. Compromises... :-)

supernova

#8 Post by supernova » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:55 am

All in good fun. :lol:
It's growing on me. I've tried think of what I've seen in the past and other than hard lines, I can't think of any other way to do it.
Could you turn the fittings down so the lines are not up in the air?

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

wikd69

#9 Post by wikd69 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:57 pm

supernova wrote:All in good fun. :lol:
It's growing on me. I've tried think of what I've seen in the past and other than hard lines, I can't think of any other way to do it.
stay tuned <g>

wikd69

#10 Post by wikd69 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:18 am

supernova wrote:All in good fun. :lol:
Here, this is better. Now I won't worry about showing up on some hotrod gag reel somewhere on YouTube. At least not for how I look. :lol:

And I am *done* making hoses for awhile. sheeesh !!!

supernova

#11 Post by supernova » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:40 am

That looks better! :thumb: Hose making , what a pain. :smt005

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

sverbus

#12 Post by sverbus » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:07 am

yeah that looks really sharp! I gotta get me one of them there blowers!
'70 Nova
434 small block
Best so far of 10.51 @ 131mph with a best so far 60' /1.46

evil16v

#13 Post by evil16v » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:59 pm

I thought it looked fine either way...

The only thing i could think of ,to make it any different..... would be to throw on 90* an to npt on the carb bowls and make your own fuel logs from nice chunk of aluminum, thread the npt in the logs.... but then you forgo the whole purpose of the four port reg... decisions ....decisions... :smt003
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

evil16v

#14 Post by evil16v » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:01 pm

wikd69 wrote:
supernova wrote:

It doesn't look *that* bad ? Well *there's* an overwhelming endorsement :lol: :lol:

Yeah, the converter was purchased for the prior motor build. It didn't make near as much power and the cam was a lot milder. I can make up for it by swapping blower cogs, going from 9% under to 1-to-1 or 9% overdriven. This will both increase boost and will move it lower in the rpm band, helping out with my lower end. Dunno if I'm going there, but it's an option. I had to make some compromises when I built this thing, wanting something pretty streetable and still capable of hitting the track on occasion. When I did the motor build this last time I also swapped out a set of 4.88's out for 4.10's and went with a stouter carrier and 33 spline Mosers.
do you runa 400? Ever thought of a switch pitch?
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

wikd69

#15 Post by wikd69 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:13 pm

evil16v wrote:
wikd69 wrote:
supernova wrote:

do you runa 400? Ever thought of a switch pitch?
Yep, I'm running a TH400 from TCI. It's their competition trans, running a solid VM300 input shaft, red eagle clutches, transbrake, blah blah blah. All the rotating parts seem to be fine, it's the transmission cases I have problems with. For some reason I keep wiping case lugs out. In fact I found a spare part in the transmission pan this weekend when I dropped it to change fluid and filters. Lucky me. Now I'm out hunting for an available HD TH400 case I can do a transplant into. This is the 2nd TH400 case my hotrod has eaten. I may have to do an intervention if it this thing keeps abusing transmissions this way. :-)

What's a 'switch pitch' ? Does it involve baseballs and greasy hair or spit ? Is it legal in the Major Leagues ?

Forgive me - it's mid-afternoon and my brain is on siesta... :lol:

Is that some sort of converter ?