TRANSMISSION mystery, confusion, frustrastion!

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

nuthernova

TRANSMISSION mystery, confusion, frustrastion!

#1 Post by nuthernova » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:46 am

OK racers, mechanics, private backyard transmission builders, have I got a story for you..

I have been getting really used to breaking transmissions over the years. I've just thought that it is something in the parts, or maybe the builder.. This time, I am really stumped. I know the build process for a TH350 now, not by choice, but because this is my fourth failure in three months.

I've went from the good drum-race combo, to the stock drum with a different piston/extra clutch assemby... good fluid etc. No luck. no matter what i do, I lunch second gear. This time first is now slipping totally, second sounds like gravel and third is similiar in noise.

It's not like it is losing fluid.. It's fresh. My little small block may put out 500 HP!, probably less if actually dyno'd.

I've decided to start with a new case, and new internals..
This particular build, I got two highway passes and about five miles of street driving! Not abused at all really. Between all four combos, no more than fifteen miles of street and 5 passes.

Any suggestions? Recommendations!

Hey heard, you live five miles away, haven't even seen you driving through town- what's up. I was actually going to drive the nova to your house in Laharpe but the trans went out on me just cruising! Ha ha..

Bob West

Re: TRANSMISSION mystery, confusion, frustrastion!

#2 Post by Bob West » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:11 am

Have you reused any of the parts in all 4 rebuilds? Like maybe the case or pump? Could either be bad?
72 Malibu-Nov. '08-1.329-3.995-6.280@106.94-9.988@131.62
best 60ft to date- 1.319
http://www.dragtimes.com/1972-Chevrolet ... -5251.html

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:27 am

nuthernova wrote:I've decided to start with a new case, and new internals..
This particular build, I got two highway passes and about five miles of street driving! Not abused at all really. Between all four combos, no more than fifteen miles of street and 5 passes.

Any suggestions? Recommendations!

Hey heard, you live five miles away, haven't even seen you driving through town- what's up. I was actually going to drive the nova to your house in Laharpe but the trans went out on me just cruising! Ha ha..
I think it's time for a different tranny builder Mike, I know he's tried to take care of the issues for you and treated you right, but it's just not working out. Ask Jim who did Russel's TH350, they seem to be having pretty good luck with that one. We should sit down and discuss how you're shimming the converter and your procedure for installing the shifter cable/adjustment just to make sure that isn't causing some of the problems too.

It's kinda hard to drive mine right now with no rims or front suspension under it! You need to come over and check out the new racing stripes...

roadrunner451

#4 Post by roadrunner451 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:08 am

make sure fluid is going through your trans cooler ive seen guys over look these things. being they could be clogged and burning the trans up its just a guess ...
mike , 1970 road runner 451 cu in indy 440-1 cyl heads, solid roller cam,T&D rockers 11.12 at 120 mph on motor.