AM I ON BORROWED TIME ???

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

pawnman69z

AM I ON BORROWED TIME ???

#1 Post by pawnman69z » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:15 pm

i have a backhalf big tire ladder bar 69 camaro running a 565 with a 300 shot fogger...it has a tight chance nitrous converter, 180 powerglide and is weighing in at 3200 pounds...to date i have got the car to run 8.22 at around 165 mph with a 1.23 60 foot...so now it's time for a gear change because i would like to step up on my tune-up and was thinking about either a 3.89 or a 4.11...my qustion is...i have a 9 inch in the car now with a 4.56 "STREET" gear and was thinking while im changing gears i should bite the bullet and convert my third member over to except a big pinion pro-gear...what are your thoughts on this ??? how much abuse can a street gear actually take ??? is there a weight, horsepower or et rule of thumb for this change over ???

thanks

chris

bracketracer

Re: AM I ON BORROWED TIME ???

#2 Post by bracketracer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:28 pm

I would say you are on borrowed time with that gear set for sure!! Big pinion and a pro gear is a must!!! What do you have for axles???

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:17 pm

You know I've seen guys with very fast and heavy cars get by with small pinion street gears in a non-nodular chunk and put hundreds of runs on them. Don't know how they get by with it, some people are just lucky like that. I've seen others break big pinion pro gears too... so?

If you ask the manufacturers I'm certain they would recommend a big pinion pro gear for your ride. That's what I'm running now in mine, but prior to that I had a street gear in it. It had a lot of 8 second passes at 3400 lbs in it with no problems.

Do you feel lucky??

pawnman69z

#4 Post by pawnman69z » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:46 am

well i am a gambling man but i think my luck will run out as soon as i throw more nitrous in the mix...i do have an all the big bearing moser center section and 35 spine axels...i guess its just time to break open the piggy bank and spend the extra money it will take to set it up to except the big pinion pro-gear...