Powerglide Questions/Help

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

GotSomeRust

Powerglide Questions/Help

#1 Post by GotSomeRust » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:33 pm

I need a new front pump for my TCI powerglide for my bracket car. I came across this one at jegs. It has the bushing in it, but my current pump does not. Does that matter? Am I better off finding a stock pump? I really don't want to drop a big chunk of change on the pump alone. Help? Thanks

http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/743400/10002/-1

Another dumb question. Is the turbo bushing & stator bushing the same thing? Or what's what? Thanks again...

supernova

Re: Powerglide Questions/Help

#2 Post by supernova » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:04 am

If your talking about the bushing in the stator support and your stock unit does not have one then you can remove the bushing out of the new one. Your caonverter must be configured so you can remove the bushing.
Call you converter co. and give them the converter part # and thay should be able to tell your if the converter is configured right.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

bracketracer

#3 Post by bracketracer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:52 am

Are you using a glide spline converter??? If so you don't need the bushing..The bushing is only used for a Turbo input shaft....

A stock pump with some mods will work just fine for most of us here. All of the mods to the factory pump you can do yourself, it's not a big deal at all If your interested I can post some pic's of what I do to the stock pumps or get the "Book" from TSR....

GotSomeRust

#4 Post by GotSomeRust » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:09 pm

bracketracer wrote:Are you using a glide spline converter??? If so you don't need the bushing..The bushing is only used for a Turbo input shaft....

A stock pump with some mods will work just fine for most of us here. All of the mods to the factory pump you can do yourself, it's not a big deal at all If your interested I can post some pic's of what I do to the stock pumps or get the "Book" from TSR....
Yes, please post some pics or email them to GotSomeRust@hotmail.com. Thanks...

bracketracer

#5 Post by bracketracer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:15 pm

I will email them to you later tonight.....

chpcamaro

#6 Post by chpcamaro » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:41 pm

hey bracketracer can i get a copy to chp474@aol.com
thank you
rob
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

supernova

#7 Post by supernova » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:08 am

bracketracer wrote:Are you using a glide spline converter??? If so you don't need the bushing..The bushing is only used for a Turbo input shaft....

Bracketracer is right. I have a fine splined hardened turbo shaft in my power P/G.

I would like to have a copy as well.
ssnova10@yahoo.com

Thanks
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

bracketracer

#8 Post by bracketracer » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Sorry guys as I just have not had any time to do it but I will as it's "V" day :mrgreen: ........Stay tuned as I will just post them here for all....

chpcamaro

#9 Post by chpcamaro » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:36 am

thank you bracketracer
67 Camaro RS/SS

bracketracer

#10 Post by bracketracer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:49 pm

Really sorry for the delay guys but I had the week from He!!....Anyway here we go and all of this I have got from reading and testing most of this and it does work well for me.......Before you start make sure you have a good pump to work with..

First think I did is get a new stator. After you press the old one out you will see a ton of crap in the housing that was around the stator just clean it good and press the new one in taking a good look at the old one as there is only one way it should go back in.....Here is a pic new stator pressed in...The bushing goes in the end and will support the turbo shaft..Do not install the bushing if your using a glide shaft

This hole is for lubrication of the drum bushing. You want to drill through the other side with a 3/16 drill and try to match the chamfer on the other side. This will help lubrication to the direct drum bushing... :smt003

This is the converter "fill" hole this needs to be 1/4 if not it need to be drilled out..You also need to drill the intersecting hole also...I have not really seen to many of these not a 1/4 so this you may not have to do,but is something to look at and check...

Drill this hole out to .110 this will provide better lubrication for the thrust washer

Ok we are almost done :thumb:
Most important part the priming valve...If you don't do this it will leave you to push your car back on the trailer :pissed:

There are two ways to do this you can put a larger roll pin in it or do it the way I do and it will never fail....Pull the stock roll pin out and remove the priming valve and spring..tap the priming valve hole for a 1/4 NPT threads (the hole is the right size for this)only tap deep enough to thread the pipe plug to bottom out to where it just covers the roll pin hole and it's tight...You need to drill a 3/16 hole in the center of the pipe plug and then install the spring and valve in the hole and then thread your pipe plug in..Make sure that the priming valve moves freely in the bore and you may need to file the hole after you thread it.

One last thing I use this for my stuff and it works great and seems to last longer as far as gears in the pump and planetary gears...I get it at tractor supply and is around $60 bucks :smt003 :smt003

Hope you guy will try this stuff and it's not really hard to do your own trans yourself....Any questions feel free to ask and I'll take more pictures :smt003 :smt003

chpcamaro

#11 Post by chpcamaro » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:24 pm

thank you bracketrace
great instructions i will be playing with a extra glide i have and i will do your upgrades to it
once again thank you
rob :mrgreen:
67 Camaro RS/SS

jmarkaudio

#12 Post by jmarkaudio » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:39 am

One more thing, the bushing as others have stated is not needed with a glide spline input shaft, it is also not needed on a turbo splined setup if the converter has been modified for an internal bushing. In both cases above it is better to not use the bushing in the stator support tube to allow fluid to pass unrestricted. Most newer performance converters are bushed internally, however some are not as well as factory converters. Best to check with the manufacturer.
Mark Whitener

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

bracketracer

#13 Post by bracketracer » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:15 am

Mark, I was told to use the bushing even if you have the internal bushing in the converter as it will hold the shaft from deflecting...Most of the new shafts have 2 large groves in the as all they used to have is just a small hole in them....

GotSomeRust

#14 Post by GotSomeRust » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks for the info. One more question. If I have a tube with the stator bushing already pressed in, can you take the bushing back out and how much of a pain is it or am I better off finding a tube without the bushing in it? Thanks again...

bracketracer

#15 Post by bracketracer » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:56 pm

GotSomeRust wrote:Thanks for the info. One more question. If I have a tube with the stator bushing already pressed in, can you take the bushing back out and how much of a pain is it or am I better off finding a tube without the bushing in it? Thanks again...

I never removed one but I would think it should come right out of there easy enough...Maybe cut a grove
in it with a hacksaw and weaken it :scratch: