drive line / pinion set up angles

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

bert

drive line / pinion set up angles

#1 Post by bert » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:07 am

Hello I have a 71 nova ,sbc 625 hp, I've changed over everything in the drivetrain, Trans=PG, Drive line= 3.5"DOM W/1350 joints, Chris alstons 9", Cal Tracs split leafs and Cal Trac bars, 10.5" MT slicks. to set up the pinion angle I measured the crank shaft/trans center line angle and the pinion angle with the driver in the car and the weight of the car on the tires. I foumd them to be within 1/2 degree of parrallel of each other ( the half degree was negative or down at the pinion ) the drive line working angle is 5 degrees. I've installed 4 degree pinion wedges to get more negative pinion angle which puts the pinion angle at about 4 1/2 degrees negative. With the drive line working angle at 5 degrees and the pinion angle at 4 1/2 degrees negative with respect to the trans center line angle it put the rear u joint angle total at 9 1/2 degrees static. Does this sound correct?
[youtube]pWMP4iSIAhk[youtube]

sc racing

Re: drive line / pinion set up angles

#2 Post by sc racing » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:12 pm

If Im reading correctly you have 5* neg crank/trans and 1/2* neg pinion without a wedge which gives you 5-1/2* negative. You want between 4-7* so you should not put the 4* wedge in there, if you do you will have u-joint bind.

bert

#3 Post by bert » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:08 pm

The trans angle is not 5 degrees neg. it is almost paralel with the pinion. the drive line it self is 5 degrees sloping down from the trans to the pinion.

sc racing

#4 Post by sc racing » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:50 pm

Do you have Dave Morgans " Chassis Book" ? if not , get it . It will show you exactly how to check it . This is how Ive always checked mine : Put an angle finder on driveshaft ( lets say I got 3* down ) then put angle finder on pinion yoke ( lets say it was 2* up ) that gives me 1* down I would put a 4* wedge in it and end up with 5* down. IM NOT SAYING THIS IS CORRECT but I never had driveshaft or u-joint problems.

bert

#5 Post by bert » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi, Thankyou for the replies. I don't have that book but I'll get it .