narrowing a nine inch

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

backhalfer

narrowing a nine inch

#1 Post by backhalfer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:17 am

hi people this is my first post on this site, so thanx in advance for any help! Im building a ladderbar backhalf Ventura and i am narrowing a nine so the pinion is centered, which means the axles will be different lengths. will this be a problem. The rear is out of a '73 ford f-150 and the axles are the same length right now. :roll: :!: :?: :thumb:

backhalfer

Re: narrowing a nine inch

#2 Post by backhalfer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:08 pm

One other thing is if the pumpkin is offset i was thinking my lower coilover spring perches may be running to close to the pumpkin on one side. My frame rails are 28 inches on the outside.??! :roll: :scratch:

HAULIN' IT

#3 Post by HAULIN' IT » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:17 pm

Actually trying to keep the axles the same length will be a problem...the pinion will be 4" to the Right. My suggestion would be to do a little measuring first. I'm certain you will find your whole car is built "to the Right" about an inch or so, meaning that the engine/trans, tunnel, ect. will be to the passenger's side of the centerline of the car (unless someone put the engine/trans in different than stock). This is where I would put the pinion of the 9", center the housing, not the pinion. It will end up 15/16" to the Right done this way. You can go more if the car is more off-set, but I don't think it will be. Also this makes the bracket placement more ideal (they will be equal from the weld seams, ect). Hope this helps, Lorne

backhalfer

#4 Post by backhalfer » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:21 pm

Ok that makes alot of sense. I ckecked and the tranny mount is offset to the right about one inch g.o.t. now i see why when you look at how a pinion and ring gear are set up it has to be offset to keep the driveline straight. Too bad i already fit up and tacked my dropped crossmember on dead center, hopefully theres room for driveshaft! :oops:

HAULIN' IT

#5 Post by HAULIN' IT » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:34 pm

Where is the crankshaft centerline in relation? You don't want the engine/trans. assy. in the car at an angle. It sounds like it would be best to cut the tacks & get it right before you move on. Lorne

stroker1

#6 Post by stroker1 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:49 pm

Make sure you keep the centerline of the engine and transmission parallel to the car. Even if the pinion and engine are not on the same centerline left to right, it is more important that the centerlines be parallel to each other.
'87 S10 stock suspension, Caltracs, 9" rearend, 1.82 Glide, 383 SBC,
Brodix Track1 Heads, 14:1 compression, 180 shot plate,
2" tube Hussler Headers, 1.38 60ft., 6.20 ET 1/8th, 109 MPH,
Still Tuning, more to come.