Driveshaft and Rearend

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

Ls7camaro

Driveshaft and Rearend

#1 Post by Ls7camaro » Sat May 30, 2009 6:52 pm

Hey, I am running a 79 camaro, I was using the stock drive shaft and GM 10bolt. Long story short, I had an odd U Joint in the rear, so I questioned everything about upgrading the shaft. everything said and done, I have got a "thick wall" 3" shaft being made with 1350 joints. The problem, I need to change the Yolk on the rear end. I got the correct part from the shop. Question 1. Do I just undo the old yolk and put the new one on, counting the thread the nut turns and just reinstall? 2. I asked about jumping to a 9" or Dana 60 rear. The shop told me to just upgrade the 10 bolt. Said it is durable enough to go into the 10's with, with better axles and C Clip Eliminators and so on. 3. Can you run a full spool on the street? I only drive maybe 1000 miles a year if that.
I can't wait for race season, this has got to be the year.

rustbucket

Re: Driveshaft and Rearend

#2 Post by rustbucket » Sat May 30, 2009 7:07 pm

I had a 8.5 ten bolt with a posi unit and sprayed 275 off the line for 2 years. I couldnt make it break. That was with all stock parts. The motor probably had around 600 horse by itself. I just got lucky. :mrgreen:
406sbc, powerglide, nitrous
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DssW5vc_t3k

waterdog

#3 Post by waterdog » Sun May 31, 2009 8:21 pm

You can run a spool on the street with street/strip axles, I did a couple Powertours 1500 miles each with no problems. I know several dudes running 10bolts and haulling ass, but there aren't many stock parts in them. A girdle will help keep the teeth on the ring gear. Walt
1970 Nova SS 3580lb, Shafiroff 434 na, 9.94@135.8

Ls7camaro

#4 Post by Ls7camaro » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:13 pm

OK, I found a kit from MOSER, and when I talked to the tech person, told me to put different ends on the axle tubes to eliminate the Clip eliminators. Ford Bearing size, Kit comes with Spool and 33 spline axles, should be good to run into the 10's.

I am planning on running a 10.5W tire like a DOT Slick w/ 12" rims

Thank you everyone for your input.
I can't wait for race season, this has got to be the year.

wikd69

#5 Post by wikd69 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:09 am

Ls7camaro wrote:OK, I found a kit from MOSER, and when I talked to the tech person, told me to put different ends on the axle tubes to eliminate the Clip eliminators. Ford Bearing size, Kit comes with Spool and 33 spline axles, should be good to run into the 10's.

I am planning on running a 10.5W tire like a DOT Slick w/ 12" rims

Thank you everyone for your input.
I'm running a pretty narrow 12-bolt and it originally had c-clip eliminators. Got rid of those and at the suggestion of the folks at Aerospace Components (I also installed a set of their discs in the back) used Pointiac / Olds housing ends, they're heftier than the small or big Ford ends and provide better bearing support, etc.

Dunno if it's any help, but here's a drawing I made with my specs - I needed this to get the right spacing for the housing ends and disc rotor offset, etc. I provided this to the shop so they could order my Moser axles the right length and get the right offset on the housing ends.

1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

ERV JR

#6 Post by ERV JR » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:51 am

Craig W on here has a 10 bolt, been 5.66 wheels up, talk to him, as far as welding new ends its a toss up, there two styles of eleminators . if you retube the housing then weld ends on if not and are considering upgrading to a nine inch then do it now. dont buy axles then change your mind.
I have a few friend who i have done work onthere cars with 10 bolts in the 9's