Proportioning valve

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

Proportioning valve

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:30 am

I got a question about how an adjustable proportioning valve gets installed.

I installed mine in the line for the front brakes, this is correct right?

The reason I ask is because the other day I was looking at a picture of another 69 Camaro and it sure looked like he had his installed in the lines for the back brakes.

You can clearly see the front brake line running down but then you see the valve and a line coming down from what looks like to be the rear brake line.

Why would he have done this?

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

supernova

Re: Proportioning valve

#2 Post by supernova » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:35 pm

Bruce69Camaro wrote:I got a question about how an adjustable proportioning valve gets installed.

I installed mine in the line for the front brakes, this is correct right?

The reason I ask is because the other day I was looking at a picture of another 69 Camaro and it sure looked like he had his installed in the lines for the back brakes.

You can clearly see the front brake line running down but then you see the valve and a line coming down from what looks like to be the rear brake line.

Why would he have done this?

Bruce
No, It needs to be on the back.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

mytmouz

#3 Post by mytmouz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Willwood and Strange recommend it be on the front if you have bigger rear tires and skinnys...
Trucks are for haulin...

Bruce69Camaro

#4 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:15 am

I was to the front as well?

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

supernova

#5 Post by supernova » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:26 am

I'm redoing me brakes right now and called Wilwood on Tuesday. What I was told was to put the valve on the back.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Bruce69Camaro

#6 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:06 am

Guess what, we're all right. I looked on the Strange site:
http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html
and if you read about the valve, it states for drag racing applications, the valve gets installed in the front brake line and for street applications the valve gets installed in the rear brake line.
So now comes the question for you street/ strip cars, where do you put it.....let me guess, you need one for both lines... :smt005 :smt005

Bruce

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:28 am

Put it in the front line. I had one in the back to start with and moved it - don't really remember why I put it there to start out, but no doubt you want it in the front line. Those little skinny front tires will lock up far earlier than the big sticky rear ones. This is for street or strip...

Bruce69Camaro

#8 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:16 am

John Heard, how do I know that name????

How are you John?

Did Mr. Peters tell you I said hi the other day? He said he was going too....

My car is going to be just for the strip and I do have the skinnies and biggie tires, but now that I think about it and read over some of the comments and looked on the Strange site, the Camaro that I was looking at looked like it may be a 10.5 car so could this be why he ran the valve in the rear lines because of the tire sizes?

Bruce.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#9 Post by John_Heard » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:33 am

Well there's a movie actor with that name, but he stinks, so hopefully you don't associate him with me haha..

Mike forgot, or I forgot, one of the other, I don't recall him mentioning you? We were kinda deep in discussing the wiring on his car though.

My car is a 10.5 tire car, still applies. I highly recommend putting the prop valve in the front brake line. That's the one that will lock up first, which is what you're wanting to avoid.

Mike Peters

#10 Post by Mike Peters » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:56 am

John_Heard wrote:
Mike forgot, or I forgot, one of the other, I don't recall him mentioning you? We were kinda deep in discussing the wiring on his car though.
John couldn't hear me when I mentioned you Bruce. He was smacking his lips on a 12 oz KC strip and deep fried green beans. :thumb: Consultant fees come in various forms ya know......
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

Bruce69Camaro

#11 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:26 am

Hey, where did you come from?

I thought you had to put in some OT to pay for all the food John ate??? :smt005 :smt005

Hey, I'll make you a killer italian meatloaf or baked ziti and even through in a homemade cheese cake
if either you or John want to come over to the east coast and help me put in my carpet? Just make
sure you don't hit any amish buggies on the way.

Oh yeah, and John, my valve is in the front line, forgot to mention that.

Talk to you later.

Bruce

Mike Peters

#12 Post by Mike Peters » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:43 am

Bruce69Camaro wrote:
Hey, I'll make you a killer italian meatloaf or baked ziti and even through in a homemade cheese cake
if either you or John want to come over to the east coast and help me put in my carpet? Just make
sure you don't hit any amish buggies on the way.
OK Bruce, you're just makin' me hungry now.......Italian meatloaf? Never heard of it but, man that sure sounds good. Heard you guys have some pretty good chocolate out that direction too.

You'll get through the carpet installation just fine and I expect you to post step-by-step instructions, photos, and pointers on fitment around the cage bars.

Saw a show on TV where one of the Amish kids considering that "rumshpringah" (or however you spell it) period in his life had an 800 watt stereo in his buggy blasting AC/DC. :smt020 I don't think they're as conservative as they used to be...... Maybe one of them is considering installing a KB hemi in his buggy.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

Bruce69Camaro

#13 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:11 pm

You got to watch some of the Amish kids. I've already seen the boom boxes in the buggies. We got a family down the street from us and they're pretty cool. They always wave as they buggy on by the house. Don't be fooled, you should see what they have hidden in their tobacco barns...some serious horsepower and not the type they use to pull their buggies with either!

Did you hear about the Amish school house shooting a few years ago? That wasn't too far away from us. Very sad day.

Hershey chocolate factory is not far from my place. I worked at Hershey Park for years, when I was a teenager.

M&M mars is in my hometown and I'm not sure what bars they make there, but rule of thumb was, if you could smell the chocolate, prepare for rain and most of the time when this happened, it did rain.

As for the meatloaf, some people call it a stuffed meatloaf. I add my dry mixes to the meat, roll it out flat and add different cheese and roll it up like a jelly roll and bake it in tomato sauce. Then I serve it with a lettuce, bacon and onion salad with a mayo based dressing. Add scallop potatoes and some fresh corn and BINGO...you'll be my best friend for life and also about 5 lbs heavier. Let me know what kind of cheesecake to make, my wife prefers chocolate cheesecake, but I'll make a philly one with cherry's. Hungry yet???

See what you guys are missing by living out there?

Bruce

vegaracer

#14 Post by vegaracer » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:41 pm

Bruce69Camaro wrote:You got to watch some of the Amish kids. I've already seen the boom boxes in the buggies. We got a family down the street from us and they're pretty cool. They always wave as they buggy on by the house. Don't be fooled, you should see what they have hidden in their tobacco barns...some serious horsepower and not the type they use to pull their buggies with either!

Did you hear about the Amish school house shooting a few years ago? That wasn't too far away from us. Very sad day.

Hershey chocolate factory is not far from my place. I worked at Hershey Park for years, when I was a teenager.

M&M mars is in my hometown and I'm not sure what bars they make there, but rule of thumb was, if you could smell the chocolate, prepare for rain and most of the time when this happened, it did rain.

As for the meatloaf, some people call it a stuffed meatloaf. I add my dry mixes to the meat, roll it out flat and add different cheese and roll it up like a jelly roll and bake it in tomato sauce. Then I serve it with a lettuce, bacon and onion salad with a mayo based dressing. Add scallop potatoes and some fresh corn and BINGO...you'll be my best friend for life and also about 5 lbs heavier. Let me know what kind of cheesecake to make, my wife prefers chocolate cheesecake, but I'll make a philly one with cherry's. Hungry yet???

Bruce
Send some of that this way. :drinkers:
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

wikd69

#15 Post by wikd69 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Bruce69Camaro wrote:You got to watch some of the Amish kids. I've already seen the boom boxes in the buggies. We got a family down the street from us and they're pretty cool. They always wave as they buggy on by the house. Don't be fooled, you should see what they have hidden in their tobacco barns...some serious horsepower and not the type they use to pull their buggies with either!

Bruce
Oh great, now I'm starving. Thanks guys :roll:

Oh, and if you really want to mix things up, use the your proportioning valve to split left and right, not front to back. Thats the way a *real* man would do it. I'm lucky, I don't need a proportioning valve in my ride. Thats cuz I never use the brake pedal, only the throttle and my B&M ProRatchet. You oughta see me parallel park :smt003 :smt003
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm