Conversion

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

fishun83

Conversion

#1 Post by fishun83 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Ok so I am new to this site and need some help. I have the original 8" rear end and tansmission from an 87 bronco full size. I want to put them, along with the carb 351w, in a 66 ranchero. Can anybody help me out? Is it possible? I know the wheel base dimensions are different for the rear end, the bronco is around 65" and the ranchero is 57" I believe. No clue about the transmission. Pretty sure the 351w will bolt right in. If I am wrong, please guide me. I have called all sorts of places and researched a ton, but constantly getting mixed answers.

HAULIN' IT

Re: Conversion

#2 Post by HAULIN' IT » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:36 pm

Your '87 Bronco wouldn't have a 8"...it would be a 8.8, tin cover on the back. The 8" is a front loader. What rear is in the Ranchero now?
As far as using the '87 Bronco rear, as you mentioned...it's way too wide. Your looking for an early Mustang or a Granada/Monarch, pre '77 Bronco among a few others, get a tape measure & hit a salvage yard with some older stuff, the fox/sn Mustangs wouldn't be too far off either. Is this a 2wd Bronco transmission? What engine was in the Bronco? Will try to help, Lorne