Transbrake vs Non Transbrake ?

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

434 nova

Transbrake vs Non Transbrake ?

#1 Post by 434 nova » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:58 pm

My car as of now does not have a transbrake would the car be faster with a transbrake or wil it be more consistent.

427belair

Re: Transbrake vs Non Transbrake ?

#2 Post by 427belair » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Depending on your converter and how well your breaks hold I would think you would gain performance and consitancy.

monzaz

#3 Post by monzaz » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:32 pm

Trans brake is a button system so it should give you a quicker reaction time consider the distacne to your foot compared to your hand...PLUS no likage and the throttle will be full on the rev limiter right off the bat.

Trans brake could be harder on some of the drive line components ans the hit is a bit harder then the sling shot from the converter.

I personally do not have transbrake...I like footbrake racing at the moment...BUT if I was serious about winning TRANS BRAKE is the way to go for consist launches. JUST a fact. :) Jim
Jim Mitschke
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh

johnh

#4 Post by johnh » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:30 pm

more consistent.

I prefer foot brake as well.. I have a Transbrake and have used it... The reaction time was the biggest improvement.... every thing else pretty much stayed the same.. 4000 Rpm launch
6.01 @ 116 on 9 Inch Slicks

Chevyfireball

#5 Post by Chevyfireball » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:00 pm

When I started using the transbrake on my Camaro I never went back to the footbrake. Consistent revs at launch. No worries about the car creeping through the lights.
'It Ain't Over Til It's NOVA'

Bob West

#6 Post by Bob West » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:18 am

I'd put my footbraked ATI converter up against any transbraked car for consistency ;) Footbraking also isnt near as hard on the driveline.
72 Malibu-Nov. '08-1.329-3.995-6.280@106.94-9.988@131.62
best 60ft to date- 1.319
http://www.dragtimes.com/1972-Chevrolet ... -5251.html

Craig W.

#7 Post by Craig W. » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:09 pm

I found it hard to cut good lights on a .400 pro tree when footbraking. I like the transbrake.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

apacheracing

#8 Post by apacheracing » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:37 pm

I have seen several trans brake cars push through the lights. Yes there is a problem with that, but it does happen. I like trans brakes. I use the trans brake and hold the 59 with the brakes as well.

Craig W.

#9 Post by Craig W. » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:35 pm

I lost in the finals one night when my transbrake didn't engage.

Now I hold the brake, hit the transbrake button and easy down on the gas until I feel the transbrake hold the car. Then I go to the floor with the gas.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

Speedster

#10 Post by Speedster » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:43 pm

I have a question about using the trans break?

The new car we bought has a power glide with a trans break and a 4000 stall and i was wondering if you all would be willing to share how to use this trans break?
We used it once on the last run. the way the guy said to use it was roll in hit the button and when the first amber comes on floor the car and let the button go on the bottom bulb? is that what you all do?

wikd69

#11 Post by wikd69 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:43 am

Dummy that I am, I'm usually on full throttle just before the second yellow (Sportsman tree, I'm not good enough for a Pro tree - yet :) and release the brake on the bottom solid yellow - just as you described. So far my times aren't all that good but they do improve with each set of runs. I'm working on consistency and then will chase the light.

It's truly incredible to watch folks cut consistent .004 and .007 lights again and again. I don't expect I'll ever do that except by accident :mrgreen:

Maybe some of the veterans here can share some wisdom :)
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

Speedster

#12 Post by Speedster » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:26 am

My son raced jr dragsters and has been out them for 3 years and goes out in our new car foot braking and cuts .07 light second time in the car!

sg7365

#13 Post by sg7365 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:57 pm

Speedster

Its all about seat time!! Practice what you feel is right and what your car and you feel is best.
All cars and tracks are different.
My last car was another s/g car with a turbo 400 and sbc and dependent on the track, I would leave at 4K at Vegas and come back to Ca and run 4.6k or even 5K. That turbo had a 2.48 gear and a tall tire. What you don't want is to spin the tires, now going back to yours launching at 4K is what I am doing now with the new car, dart sb and a glide. No tire spin and good 60 footers. My delay on the box is .980 now. Last car is was close to 1.00 second.
Also faster cars-lighter cars need a little more delay because you don't have all that weight to pull.

Delay boxes are real good. Tire roll out is different and you have to measure that for yours and set the delay to that----and also how far you go into the beams. You can launch on any bulb but the preferred method is when you have a delay box is to release on the top bulb.....We will say you have an average car with average hook-up. So set the delay at 1.00 second on the delay---again eye to hand movement is in the micro-seconds, so start with one second and go with that. If you don't have a delay and are launching on the third amber---its all in the release button, eye to hand coordination etc etc.
I like to practice we will say one second on the top bulb and make several passes with that. And adjust the delay accordingly.
Also if you run a pro-brake-it will help cut consistant lights.
Also a rule of thumb for the trans brake: for every second your on it/with the rpm up-the trans temp will go up 100 Degrees---

With everyone else who runs the trans brake and leaves on the top bulb, they will release on the top bulb and then go instantly to the throttle--that should put you in the neighborhood of about the second amber (another half second-total time one second or so). That rpm has to be up when that third bulb lights or otherwise you will notice inconsistencies in your 60 footers.

Hey I've been beat many a time with the foot breakers too. Dang even got spanked by a stock 19 second El Camino.
Ask some guys at the track what they do, a car similiar to yours and get some different ideas and don't be afraid to write that stuff down in a log book. Car/weight/engine/trans/launch rpm/is the track consistent for everyone/is your car consistent/
So many varibables with all of us. (trans/weight of car/tire/roll out/track/prep of track) But one thing for sure the small block must be up in rpm like yours (4K) to be in the hp powerband to launch.

Have fun
Ron

Speedster

#14 Post by Speedster » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks Ron.
We bought a new intake and Dominator and will put them on as soon as it gets here and see if that helps some?
it's way under carbed and too small of intake IMHO?

Speedster

#15 Post by Speedster » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:36 pm

got all the stuff to make the switch so the engine can breath in and out!
new aluminum heads 205cc runners 2.02 valves ported and polished and new hurricane hi rise single plane intake and my new carb a holley dominator all new braided hose and stepped up to -an 8 to make sure it could get the fuel it needs and new regulator too!
hopefully it will pickup some et and mph? oh and the kid just loves the Trans Break!