What ring & pinion vendor?

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

Homers442

What ring & pinion vendor?

#1 Post by Homers442 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:44 pm

Whats a good set of rear end gears for a Ford 9" used strictly for drag racing. The engine made 775 Hp and 675 Ft lbs of torque measured at the flywheel. I'm using a tranny brake with a5600 stall coverter. It should be a mid 9 second car.
I want something I can put in and feel safe with.

supernova

Re: What ring & pinion vendor?

#2 Post by supernova » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:20 pm

Try these guy's. I have the motive gears from them. I think they can fix you up.....

http://www.quickperformance.com/Products/9-gears.htm
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

427belair

#3 Post by 427belair » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:28 pm

My car is similar to yours and I ended up going with the richmond pro gear. I have had good luck with Quick performance before, but the last time I was tring to get a "pro gear" 4.30 ratio and they said they had the NASCAR pro style gear on special that would be perfect for me? Well every ratio was on sale but the big pinion 4.30,4.56....ect and they tried charging me more than it cost for the richmond gears. You probebly get away with a street gear just make sure you know what you want before you try to order. BTW just pulled the rear on my car last weekend and everything looked great.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:41 pm

If you call them, tell them to take down the web page they stole from Craig Watson at 2quicknovas.com like they said they would 3 + years ago...

BracketNova

#5 Post by BracketNova » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:04 pm

Do I need to give Doug some $hit about something, Quick performance is two blocks from where I work...

But on topic, my whole rearend is from there with the motive gears...no complaints.
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

Craig W.

#6 Post by Craig W. » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:18 am

Yeah, if you don't care to talk to them, they need to take down the stolen page on pinion angles. I didn't read through the rest of the site to see if there were any more stolen pages.

I contacted them a few years ago I think. I should contact their host and throw a fit.

Thanks.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

Mike Peters

#7 Post by Mike Peters » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:09 am

You mean everything posted on the internet is not for sharing and plagiarism? :roll:

Speaking of pinion angles, I read the stolen info from Craig's Quick Nova's site and would have to disagree. I'm not alone when I say pinion angle should be determined from referencing the driveline angle and NOT the driveshaft angle. Setting the pinion be a congruent angle to the driveline angle under power is what should be accomplished. This keeps the driveshaft "in phase" for less horsepower loss and less wear and bind on the u-joints. No disrespect but, to determine "one size fits all" pinion angles by suspension types is just not very scientific. Cars with tube chassis 4-links usually require a different pinion angle than a car with a factory 4-link due to the differences in driveline angle. Tube chassis cars are built with lower engine locations and more transmission tunnel clearance and therefore can run driveline angles at or near zero degrees. Most factory engine locations have a tailshaft down angle.

I'd be very hesitant to buy something from a company who professes to be an "expert" yet, doesn't know the correct procedure for setting pinion angle as well as one who thinks "cutting and pasting" someone else's work is acceptable. So, you can drop by their shop and tell them they're full of hu-hu.

I hope I didn't come across as too "Bigley-like" in this post but, it's important to put some of these fallacies to rest. Please click on the link below but, don't post it anywhere without permission. HEED THE WARNING :lol: Note that nowhere in these instrucutions does it say to place the angle finder on the driveshaft.

Property of Rossler Transmissions

Cannot be copied or reproduced with out

Written permission from Rossler Transmissions Inc.

http://www.rosslertrans.com/Pinion%20angle.htm
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

Craig W.

#8 Post by Craig W. » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:01 am

Did you actually read the article? I clearly talk about the entire driveline and not just the driveshaft farther down in the article.

The article is meant to be very general and a starting point for inexperienced hot rodders. The intent wasn't to address every specific vehicle ever conceived by man. For experts such as yourself, please refrain from reading my articles. They are way under your pay grade.

Mike Peters wrote:You mean everything posted on the internet is not for sharing and plagiarism? :roll:

Speaking of pinion angles, I read the stolen info from Craig's Quick Nova's site and would have to disagree. I'm not alone when I say pinion angle should be determined from referencing the driveline angle and NOT the driveshaft angle. Setting the pinion be a congruent angle to the driveline angle under power is what should be accomplished. This keeps the driveshaft "in phase" for less horsepower loss and less wear and bind on the u-joints. No disrespect but, to determine "one size fits all" pinion angles by suspension types is just not very scientific. Cars with tube chassis 4-links usually require a different pinion angle than a car with a factory 4-link due to the differences in driveline angle. Tube chassis cars are built with lower engine locations and more transmission tunnel clearance and therefore can run driveline angles at or near zero degrees. Most factory engine locations have a tailshaft down angle.

I'd be very hesitant to buy something from a company who professes to be an "expert" yet, doesn't know the correct procedure for setting pinion angle as well as one who thinks "cutting and pasting" someone else's work is acceptable. So, you can drop by their shop and tell them they're full of hu-hu.

I hope I didn't come across as too "Bigley-like" in this post but, it's important to put some of these fallacies to rest. Please click on the link below but, don't post it anywhere without permission. HEED THE WARNING :lol: Note that nowhere in these instrucutions does it say to place the angle finder on the driveshaft.

Property of Rossler Transmissions

Cannot be copied or reproduced with out

Written permission from Rossler Transmissions Inc.

http://www.rosslertrans.com/Pinion%20angle.htm
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

mytmouz

#9 Post by mytmouz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 am

pop:
Trucks are for haulin...

Mike Peters

#10 Post by Mike Peters » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:26 am

Craig W. wrote:Did you actually read the article? I clearly talk about the entire driveline and not just the driveshaft farther down in the article.

The article is meant to be very general and a starting point for inexperienced hot rodders. The intent wasn't to address every specific vehicle ever conceived by man. For experts such as yourself, please refrain from reading my articles. They are way under your pay grade.

Geez Louise Craig. Ease up dude. What did I say in my post that spoiled your Post Toasties? Don't call me an "expert". I never professed to be one. All I said was I disagree, I gave reasons why, and posted a link to an article written by a real "expert". That's never happened to you before? :prayer: Too many misconceptions about setting pinion angle out there on the internet for my taste. If your method works for you then, stick with it. I'll admit I did not read the article from YOUR website and only read the stuff that was "stolen" and assumed it was the same article in its entirety. IF the article on YOUR website is different then, I suggest to all readers that they read YOUR information in its entirety and compare to the article in the link I posted and decide for themselves. Notice I never said the article on YOUR website and stated I had only read the the "stolen" info on this "Quick Performance's" website. I never clicked on YOUR website and never stated I did.

Craig W.

#11 Post by Craig W. » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:53 am

Just not in the mood for it this morning I guess. Getting hammered from all directions (mostly work stuff) and just not in the mood to sit back and take it.

No hard feelings Mike. I'm normally thicker skinned.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

Mike Peters

#12 Post by Mike Peters » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:19 am

Craig W. wrote:Just not in the mood for it this morning I guess. Getting hammered from all directions (mostly work stuff) and just not in the mood to sit back and take it.

No hard feelings Mike. I'm normally thicker skinned.
S'all good bro. We all have our ups and downs. I know you're a smart dude and have a very successful program gettin' it done on 8.5's.

Craig W.

#13 Post by Craig W. » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:58 am

Thanks. Yeah, its all water under the bridge. Thanks for understanding.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

supernova

#14 Post by supernova » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:31 pm

Hey sorry they stole part of your info. I never read any of it tell now.
They do have some good deals on rearend parts. Most of the stuff in both my cars rearends came from them. And at a cost savings.

I do think theft is ilegal and as a DS member if the comunity thinks we should boycot QP than I will stand with you. You have my support...........
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#15 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:45 pm

I've bought stuff from Doug before and have been happy with their service, but he really does need to take Craig's stuff down. He's already been told about it numerous times, I think I emailed him as well back when we noticed it years ago. I forgot about it till someone mentioned the other day seeing the page still up.