Vegas trip update

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

1320quick

Vegas trip update

#1 Post by 1320quick » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:01 am

HI guys, Made the long haul from Colorado to Vegas last week for the SCSN3 to run Wild street. When we unloaded Thursday night for the t-n-t, the best the car had ever gone was 9.39@148. We made a motor pass first just to make sure everything was ok after almost wrecking the car on the last pass in Colorado. Car went it's quickest N/A 60' ever of 1.492 and an ET of 10.30. Boy is the car ever lazy with that tight converter and 3.90 gear. Next made a bottle pass and it spun a bit with a 1.58 60' and run a 9.58 at 149. Disappointed and pushed an intake gasket on that pass. :( We got the oil leak fixed and made first round qualifying Friday morning. Car blew the tires off at the hit, ran a 1.97 60' and a 10.16. We went back and changed the dig 7 and progressive and went to second round. I let go of the transbrake and all I could see was sky! Car dead hooked, pulled the front end about 3 feet and carried it 40+ feet. Went a 1.36 60 foot and ran 9.16@149. What a great pass. Then we made some changes on Saturday morning for 3rd rd qualifying and the car didn't feel right so I aborted the pass about 200ft out. We adjusted again and the car went a 1.44 60' 9.14@150 in the last qualifying pass. I was happy with how the car was running but concerned that we would not run the 8 second pass that I wanted so bad. We qualified #28 in the 32 car field. Had to run the #5 qualifier. We got aggressive with the timing and progressive controller for Round 1. I did my job and got a tenth from him at the tree. Car ran a best ever 1.354 60' and 8.89 @153!!!!!!! Still lost by three car lengths to his 8.17 but we gave it all we had. Car weighed 3615lbs this weekend so it was over weight by 300+ lbs. Gotta love them 275/60R-15 MT drag radials! What a great trip and I'm already making plans to attend next year!
Ron
71 Nova - 3300lbs, stock suspended on a 275
5.35 132MPH in the thin Colorado air

ERV JR

#2 Post by ERV JR » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:29 am

Congrats on the sec pass , thats great news. now its got you thinking im sure . Whats next ?

TubbedTruck67

#3 Post by TubbedTruck67 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:42 am

Hell yah man, now its time to see where to take 300 pounds out of the car.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:59 am

Congratulations Ron! Great to hear about your progress and new personal best!

1320quick

#5 Post by 1320quick » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:05 pm

ERV JR wrote:Congrats on the sec pass , thats great news. now its got you thinking im sure . Whats next ?
Yea, that was cool and now my wheels are spinning trying to figure out how to go faster. Looks like the car (and driver) will be going on a diet. Need to update the chassis to 25.5 so it will cert to 7.50. Putting together the $$$ to upgrade the bullet with better heads and more hp.
Ron

mytmouz

#6 Post by mytmouz » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:38 pm

8-)
Trucks are for haulin...

sc racing

#7 Post by sc racing » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:06 pm

Congrats on the 8 sec run...........never fast enough, I see your already thinking ahead!!

Mike Peters

#8 Post by Mike Peters » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:54 am

Good job Ron. Altitude change makes a difference, eh? :wink:

How was the event overall? That would be a trip I'd like to make in the future when John Heard buys his stacker trailer. :lol:

How's the USP series looking for next season? I wouldn't mind trying to make it to Pueblo once.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

1320quick

#9 Post by 1320quick » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:28 am

Mike Peters wrote:Good job Ron. Altitude change makes a difference, eh? :wink:

How was the event overall? That would be a trip I'd like to make in the future when John Heard buys his stacker trailer. :lol:

How's the USP series looking for next season? I wouldn't mind trying to make it to Pueblo once.
Yea, it was nice not running in density altitude over 9000ft for once. :-)

The overall event was outstanding. It was very well organized and well run. The quality of cars and the car count was great. I'm already making plans to attend the race next year. Even if you don't go out to race, if you love fast street cars and heads up racing, you can't miss this race.

As far as the USP goes for next year, it's looking FAST. Everytime I turn around, I hear of another car being built or another racer stepping up his bullet. I suspect the stock suspended class will take 8.80's to win, the ultimate street class to take 8.0's to win and the Hot street N/A class will take 9.70's to win. I think the payouts will be at least a $1000 to win in all the classes and I look for 15-20 cars in limited, ultimate and hot street for every race. Come on out and race with us sometime. It would be great to meet you.
Ron

Mike Peters

#10 Post by Mike Peters » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:41 pm

1320quick wrote:
The overall event was outstanding. It was very well organized and well run. The quality of cars and the car count was great. I'm already making plans to attend the race next year. Even if you don't go out to race, if you love fast street cars and heads up racing, you can't miss this race.

As far as the USP goes for next year, it's looking FAST. Everytime I turn around, I hear of another car being built or another racer stepping up his bullet. I suspect the stock suspended class will take 8.80's to win, the ultimate street class to take 8.0's to win and the Hot street N/A class will take 9.70's to win. I think the payouts will be at least a $1000 to win in all the classes and I look for 15-20 cars in limited, ultimate and hot street for every race. Come on out and race with us sometime. It would be great to meet you.
Artis Huston keeps inviting me to Vegas and is pushing me to be ready for next year already. I guess he doesn't have enough guys to whup up on as it is. :lol:

Who's going to be the car or cars to run the 8.80's in Limited USP? 15-20 cars is a good turnout for each class. We need to figure out how to merge USP and MAKO for an event or two. 8-) Whadda ya think?

1320quick

#11 Post by 1320quick » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:45 pm

Mike Peters wrote:
1320quick wrote:

Artis Huston keeps inviting me to Vegas and is pushing me to be ready for next year already. I guess he doesn't have enough guys to whup up on as it is. :lol:

Who's going to be the car or cars to run the 8.80's in Limited USP? 15-20 cars is a good turnout for each class. We need to figure out how to merge USP and MAKO for an event or two. 8-) Whadda ya think?
Yea, Artis is a really nice guy. When I talked to him in the lanes on Saturday, he said he might try to make it out to CO for a USP race next year if everything worked out. They had his Nova flying last weekend. That 8.02 in the semi's was stout!

As far as 8.80's in limited go, I think Aaron Walker 70 Chevelle, Jeremy Martinez 66 Chevelle, Jered Trembath 66 Nova, Vance Hewitt 78 Nova, Scott Mcbrome BBC mustang and my Nova will all be able to run in that range. I know a ultimate car that has gone 8.50 that is rumored to be putting the stock suspension back on to run limited. I hear rumors of 3 or 4 other cars being built or upgraded to run limited as well that could be players. One is a 9.90 car on the motor and another has a power plant that went 8.80's in an ultimate street car two years ago. There are three classes, Pro-street, outlaw and quick street don't have great support so I don't know what will happen with them but the small tire classes seem to be growing fast. That would be cool if we could figure out a way to have a couple of combined USP and MAKO events. I'd be willing to talk to the guy that runs USP about it. Seems like the MAKO Real street rules are closer to the USP Ultimate street rules. Maybe we could come up with two or three different classes to include more cars?
Ron

Mike Peters

#12 Post by Mike Peters » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:04 pm

1320quick wrote: Yea, Artis is a really nice guy. When I talked to him in the lanes on Saturday, he said he might try to make it out to CO for a USP race next year if everything worked out. They had his Nova flying last weekend. That 8.02 in the semi's was stout!

As far as 8.80's in limited go, I think Aaron Walker 70 Chevelle, Jeremy Martinez 66 Chevelle, Jered Trembath 66 Nova, Vance Hewitt 78 Nova, Scott Mcbrome BBC mustang and my Nova will all be able to run in that range. I know a ultimate car that has gone 8.50 that is rumored to be putting the stock suspension back on to run limited. I hear rumors of 3 or 4 other cars being built or upgraded to run limited as well that could be players. One is a 9.90 car on the motor and another has a power plant that went 8.80's in an ultimate street car two years ago. There are three classes, Pro-street, outlaw and quick street don't have great support so I don't know what will happen with them but the small tire classes seem to be growing fast. That would be cool if we could figure out a way to have a couple of combined USP and MAKO events. I'd be willing to talk to the guy that runs USP about it. Seems like the MAKO Real street rules are closer to the USP Ultimate street rules. Maybe we could come up with two or three different classes to include more cars?
Let's suppose we can make this happen as early as next season. So, we need to agree on some major points. MAKO is going to 1/8th exclusively next season. So, which would it be? 1/8th or 1/4? I don't think we would neccesarily have to follow one of the other organization's rules and they could be combined to meet the needs of the biggest cross-section of cars. I see the biggest draw for cars while keeping it simple would be to keep it a small-tired event with maybe 2 class. One class with bolt-on suspensions and some power adder limitations and the other allowing the ladder bar cars and cars that don't want power adder/engine limitations. So, my idea is 2 classes of True 10.5 cars at a centralized location considering we could draw cars from Missouri and Arkansas too. Maybe Great Bend or Topeka? It's good to toss around ideas like this. Scott and Jeff will be the ones who decide though. One big event to bring the region together once a year.

Tell Aaron Walker hello for me. I'm trying to get Paddock to come back this way when he's ready.