First trip to the track

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

wikd69

First trip to the track

#1 Post by wikd69 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:29 pm

Hey all :)

For you veteran racers out there this is minor stuff, but I've been waiting a long time to actually make smoke and go fast like this...

I finally made it to the track with the Camaro (first time out). I trailered down to Sacramento Raceway last weekend (June 15).

On the very first test run my trans/shifter cable decided to come apart so I got to be towed back to the pits by a *Mopar* guy (Bill Creech / Lil Demon) of all things <laffin>

So, back in the trailer it went. Took it home, swapped the cable and was back at the track for Test-N-Tune the next Friday nite (last week).

Back at the track I made one test run, no times, just to make certain nothing big was gonna fall off or hand-grenade.

Then I staged, launched and peeled off a 12:00 @ 114 mph. Spun like hell, I was late on the launch, I took a nap between shifts and the damn thing *still* pulled off a 12.0. I was screaming when I went through the traps <laffin>. Man, I was happy, happy guy. Still am, in fact :D :D

I made 5 more runs, getting my routine down, figuring out how to light the meats up to get em sticky, figuring out all the switchology with the multi-function Roll-Stop / Trans-Brake button, remembering to smack the ratchet shifter when that bright light comes on, etc., etc.

It's amazing how far down your IQ drops when your heart rate and adrenaline level goes past the moon :D

It was also damn hot. It was over 100 degrees at the track when I got there for Tech at 5:00 PM and when we started running at 6:00 PM it was still about 99 degrees out.

Here’s my times and speeds, along with the ambient temp for each. I also posted videos out on YouTube (links below). You should be able to click them for the video. If I managed to screw them up you can still do a search on YouTube for WIKD69 if you want to watch.

6:12PM, 99 Degrees - Test launch, no ET
6:29PM, 98 Degrees - 12.008 ET, 113.998 MPH
7:29PM, 91 Degrees - 12.432 ET, 104.206 MPH
7:36PM, 91 Degrees - 11.278 ET, 106.677 MPH
8:20PM, 92 Degrees - 11.276 ET, 123.276 MPH
8:24PM, 92 Degrees - 11.075 ET, 124.012 MPH
And back home, unloading.

I parked back at the trailer after the 11.07 run above, intending to wait a bit for cooler air and then rip off three more runs before the track closed at 10:00 PM.

Unfortunately some guy in an import windowed his block and oiled things from half-track all the way to the stripe. So much for my runs in better air. They did get the track open again at 9:40 or so but I decided not to chance a freshly oiled/cleaned surface. And sure enough the first guy out afterwards went sideways at half-track before bringing it back.

Bill Creech (Lil Demon) and Al Alquire helped me out a bunch, giving me good advice and keeping me alive until I got things figured out. Both Al and Bill have been racing for a lot of years.

All in all, it was a fantastic experience. I think that if I had been able to make my last three runs in better air, combined with my getting more of a clue, I would have nailed some 10.90 runs before I went home that night. And, the car was basically in hamburger-chasing street trim. The only things I changed were to add some header extenders and a load of 110 race fuel. No timing, tuning, jetting or other changes at all. I think the next time I’ll spend some time playing with jets and shooters and tweak the timing just a bit. If I really want to up the ante I'll swap the cogs on the blower. I'm running 9% underdriven right now and swapping would take me to 9% over, tho I'm not sure what jets and shooters I'd need for that configuration. I also need some real rubber on the back. I’m running 29 x 18.50 MT Sportsman Pros and while they wrinkle and make nice smoke and hook pretty well they’re still not real slicks. If I can swing it the next time out I’ll hang some honest rubber under it.

Sorry this was such a long post, but I’ve been waiting to make it to the track for a long, long time and this is pretty major event for me. I know these were just a few Test-N-Tune by-runs but I’m still reliving those rides down the track. I can’t wait to go back out there. :D

Harry
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: First trip to the track

#2 Post by John_Heard » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:02 pm

Excellent post Harry, boy I can sure tell the excitement is there! Congrat's on getting out to the track and getting a rush...

BBC505

#3 Post by BBC505 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:26 pm

Very Nice car there wikd69. 10s are right around the corner, Congrats. 3rdgear: :partyman:

stroker1

#4 Post by stroker1 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:32 pm

X2 Congrats, and good looking car. You've got some more numbers in that thing!
'87 S10 stock suspension, Caltracs, 9" rearend, 1.82 Glide, 383 SBC,
Brodix Track1 Heads, 14:1 compression, 180 shot plate,
2" tube Hussler Headers, 1.38 60ft., 6.20 ET 1/8th, 109 MPH,
Still Tuning, more to come.

wikd69

#5 Post by wikd69 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:52 am

Thanks all :)

waterdog

#6 Post by waterdog » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:19 am

Man it all sounds great to me. After all the hard work building a car or changing a combo, making it to the track is the big payoff. Good or bad its an accomplishment , Congrats and let the fun begin.
1970 Nova SS 3580lb, Shafiroff 434 na, 9.94@135.8

bvr421

#7 Post by bvr421 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:43 pm

Thats a great story. Unfortunately it sounds like you are hooked now!
What is really great is you have an actual time slip instead of "I dont want to mess with all the NHRA safety stuff it would take to actually go to a track but an expert told me it would have 700hp and run 9s" . How many times have you heard that one? :nutkick:
I know whats going on here now that I discovered that 2+2 = 3, NOT 5!

wikd69

#8 Post by wikd69 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:50 pm

When I built the drivetrain I specifically consulted the NHRA rulebook, not wanting to arrive at the track with all this exotic hardware only to be turned away at the gate (so to speak). So everything is SFI and legal, so I don't think I'd have any problem with my drivetrain anywhere I take the car to race.

However, I do have other challenges if I want to take it to a big national track and run. They're a lot more stick about things than my local track guys are.

Here's my new challenge....

I'm registered for the upcoming Pinks All Out event at Sears Point (Infineon Raceway) in September. Thats one of the reasons I finally got off my butt and pushed the hotrod down to my local track. I'd rather do do my stupid-rooky stuff (breaking, crashing, running over the starter, the tree, etc.) at a back-water test-n-tune session than on live national TV.

The new problem is my cage. When the Camaro was first built they installed the cage and then prettied up the welds before painting. The cage is good and stout but the tech guys at the bigger tracks can be pretty sticky about rule book interpretation. They have to be I guess, cuz its a big national track and they're under a lot of scrutiny.

So I need to decide how badly I want to do the Pinks All Out thing. I think it'd be fun but I also think that if I don't make it it would'nt be the end of the world. I'm out my $35 registration fee, big whoop.

If I do want to go I'll have to grab the old die grinder and wire welder and v-grind/re-weld my cage. That by itself is not a big thing, I'm competent enough at laying bead. The problem is all the time and work it'll take to mask off and protect carpet, dash, glass, trim, etc., inside the car while all the heavy lifting is taking place, then primer / paint / clearcoat again to bring it all back. Also, my cage side bars are very low and I'd probably need to add a new set of swing-outs on each side. It'll be pretty involved, all around. Don't get me wrong, I'm not averse to doing the work and I'm not concerned about keeping the car pristine. I'm just crunched for time between now and early September. I need to decide just how badly I want to do the Pinks event. It would be fun but would it be *that* much fun ?

Harry

Pegasus

#9 Post by Pegasus » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:33 am

As long as you stay out of the nines your cage will be ok .You can run tens all day with no problem . NHRA did kick serveral cars out of Pinks All Out in St. Louis when they ran nines without a chassis cert.

bvr421

#10 Post by bvr421 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:03 pm

When I had my 64 stickered the inspector (nhra regional safety director) didnt look at anything but the driver cage. Mostly just checked for all required bars and placement and diameter and sonic tested for wall thickness on the pipe. Basically from the back of your head to the firewall. Any tubing behind or in front is chassis and they only care about where the driver is for a sticker. Other than that the other safety issues are checked by track inspectors. Didnt care about welds at all except for as the rulebook says they must be at least 3/4 way around the pipe. For instance where you cant get a bead between the headliner and top of rollbar. Crappy looking welds dont matter. Grinding to smooth the weld bead is a no-no. Maybe thats what you mean when you say you have to redo them. If so bummer. The inspector has no way of knowing if a bead will hold or not, we have all seen beautiful welds you could break with a hammer and crappy looking beads that would pull a locomotive. So they pretty much ignore how pretty a weld is. The sidebars must pass between your elbow and shoulder, you can bend them down at that point if wanted.
Im sure you already know this stuff.

Pinks All Out
get ready for the worlds biggest cluster ƒ#$k. Ive heard some events are better than others but I didnt see any organization at all. Basically the racers and spectators are unpaid extras in a TV production. Sometimes over an hour between a couple cars going down the track. Lots of time outs for jerkoff "celebritys" to show off for the cameras. Truly idiot announcers. The downtime would have been intolerable if not for the amazing array of cars in the pits. The pit cruising made the event less creepy. I really enjoyed seeing SO MANY different ideas of how someone wanted to build a race car.
I hope you have a great time and get picked for the finals.

sc68z28

#11 Post by sc68z28 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Very NICE car Harry! I like it :thumb:

---Bill.
68 Camaro, 380ci, Procharger, G-force 5 speed, EFI, 7" 2 disc clutch, best ET 8.69 @159
Best 60' vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLzx5jBo4w

wikd69

#12 Post by wikd69 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:47 pm

sc68z28 wrote:Very NICE car Harry! I like it :thumb:

---Bill.
Thanks Bill :)

wow! I went for the nostalgia thing with mine but you went for hard-core, leading edge stuff with yours. Thats really a sweet build you have. I watched the YouTube at Irwindale and love that sound. That thing is beautiful and must be a pure E-Ticket ride !

I've been thinking about what motor I'd want to tackle next and it'd either be an injected twin-turbo or procharger build. This old fashioned blower motor of mine is a hoot but it's really pretty mundane compared to what can be done these days. I really like what you've done.

sc68z28

#13 Post by sc68z28 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:20 am

Thanks Harry, yours looks pretty hard core too!

Here is more vid from yesterday at the track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISMBSgMaWEM

---Bill.
68 Camaro, 380ci, Procharger, G-force 5 speed, EFI, 7" 2 disc clutch, best ET 8.69 @159

wikd69

#14 Post by wikd69 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:10 am

sc68z28 wrote:Thanks Harry, yours looks pretty hard core too!

Here is more vid from yesterday at the track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISMBSgMaWEM

---Bill.
Nice runs. What rear-end, carrier and gears are you running in the back, and, what slicks are you using ?

Mine has pretty deep tubs but my wheelwells haven't been stretched <yet>. I'm ordering a set of MT ET Drags, below:

Product Line: Mickey Thompson ET Drag Slicks
Part Number: MTT-3065
Tire Size: 29.50 x 13.50-15
Tire Diameter (in): 30.20 in.
Section Width (in): 16.00 in.
Tread Width (in): 13.10 in.
Minimum Recommended Rim Width (in): 12.00 in.
Maximum Recommended Rim Width (in): 14.10 in.
Tire Compound: M5

As long as I get a good matched set and the run-out doesn't get above 96 or so, I'm gold.

sc68z28

#15 Post by sc68z28 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:52 pm

wikd69 wrote: What rear-end, carrier and gears are you running in the back, and, what slicks are you using ?
As long as I get a good matched set and the run-out doesn't get above 96 or so, I'm gold.
I have two 9" Strange nodular iron center sections.
For the track 4.11 pro gear, 35 spline spool.
For the street 3.50 Motive, 35 spline Locker.
The Pro gear also has a 35 spline pinion, I broke a Motive 3.00:1, 28 spline pinion gear.

Tires I got lots of those too.
For the track only, 28" 10.5W MT ET Drags.

For street and strip, 28" 13.5 MT ET Streets.

And street only, these don't see much use anymore, 16" street radials (the pro touring look) not much into that now.

As far as roll out goes, I've had a hard time getting a pair of MT tires that match.
I wonder if the Hoosier tires are better at being the same size. I've had 3 sets of Mickeys and usually there is more than a 1/2" difference.

What is your rear gear, and rear suspension set up? I'm ladder bar now.

---Bill.