Second trip to the track

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

wikd69

Second trip to the track

#1 Post by wikd69 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:23 pm

Hit the track on Saturday and made a bunch of single passes.

--> Best time of 10.84 @ 125 mph, 60' = 1.588

Overall I'm very happy - the car performed well and had no real problems at all, outside of some leaky acc pump gaskets, etc. Thanks to Al Alquire and Bill Creech for all the help at the track :)

I still need to work on my launch and clean up my burn-out routine... For some reason I'm rolling too far outside the water box and I'm not getting good smoke when I light em up. Like Bill sez: I need more seat time. :)

I earned my very first red-light when I forgot to switch into trans-brake mode prior to staging. I learned that my roll-stop will *not* hold the car under WOT at the line. d-uh...

When I go out again I'm prolly gonna turn the boost up a notch and dial my shift-points down a bit - I was shifting at 6400 and I'm told that these hydraulic rollers start falling off at about 6200, even with a blower feeding them. I'm thinking that more/earlier boost and lower shift points should put me into a better torque window for this cam. We'll see.

Here's a view of me making smoke :D Don'tcha just love burn-outs ?

I'll post more movies on YouTube as soon as I get the chance.

In the mean-time...

Below is my only in-car movie for the night - this was a 10.92 run @ 125 mph - sorry the quality is so bad - this was the first try at using an in-car cam and I didn't realize how dirty my windshield was - also, I'll set the cam over to one side the next time, instead of right behind the blower.

Stay tuned

Harry :D
Last edited by wikd69 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

supernova

Re: Second trip to the track

#2 Post by supernova » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:30 pm

Nice!!!!!!!!!!
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

sverbus

#3 Post by sverbus » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:53 am

Heck no I like seeing the back of the blower...I swear damnit I'm going to cut my hood one of these days and satisfy the boost gods....
'70 Nova
434 small block
Best so far of 10.51 @ 131mph with a best so far 60' /1.46

wikd69

#4 Post by wikd69 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:17 am

Ok, here's the collection of videos from my second trip to Sac Raceway.

The last one is pretty cool. Its from my little digital cam I hung from the roll bar in the Camaro. If I had known this worked this well I would have gotten more in-car footage. Sorry for the dirty windshield :-)

Sacramento Test-N-Tune, 07-26-2008, 7:45 PM - Light em up !!!!
Sacramento Test-N-Tune, 07-26-2008, 7:50 PM - 11.056 ET, 122.031 MPH
Sacramento Test-N-Tune, 07-26-2008, 8:35 PM - 10.865 ET, 125.375 MPH
Sacramento Test-N-Tune, 07-26-2008, 8:41 PM - 10.843 ET, 125.775 MPH
Sacramento Test-N-Tune, 07-26-2008, 9:14 PM - 10.992 ET, 125.235 MPH
Sacramento Test-N-Tune, 07-26-2008, 9:14 PM - 10.992 ET, In Car Cam

As you can see, I still have some distance to go in getting my routine down and getting more consistent. All in all, though, I'm pretty happy with how the car performs and how my build works.

Next time I'm probably gonna bump the boost up a bit and and play with my two-step launch RPM. That should help my 60's and drop my ET a bit. I have to admit that I did not include my very last run of the night where I had a red-light on the launch (running by myself no-less). d-uh... Switchology issue. Forgot to switch my button from Roll-Stop over to Trans-Brake mode. When I staged and nailed the throttle on the two-step it pushed through the lights. :oops:

Lastly, I *still*l find it hard to believe that my motor build works this well :lol: 427 BBC motors are pretty simple and bullet proof, I guess...

Fun stuff :D

sc68z28

#5 Post by sc68z28 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:47 pm

Very NICE Harry !!
I like that in car cam, I gota do one.
At 125.77 you are leaving about 3/10 et on the table, I'd say at the start line.
I'm seeing wheel spin at launch, more boost could make that worse :?:

Turn that boost up anyway, we want more power :!:

One question, how the hell can you make a pass at 8:35 and another at 8:41 ???
6 MINUTES !!!
Even if I could make the first turn out, skip the timeslip shack, went straight back to the lanes. It would take an hour for the other cars ahead of me to go, and thats if it's a less than normal turn out.
On a Street Legal day it takes atleast 2 hours between passes, I won't even go on those days! All day for 2 maybe 3 runs.
Are you getting in on a private track rental day?
---Bill.
68 Camaro, 380ci, Procharger, G-force 5 speed, EFI, 7" 2 disc clutch, best ET 8.69 @159
Best 60' vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLzx5jBo4w

wikd69

#6 Post by wikd69 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:52 pm

sc68z28 wrote:Very NICE Harry !!
I like that in car cam, I gota do one.
At 125.77 you are leaving about 3/10 et on the table, I'd say at the start line.
I'm seeing wheel spin at launch, more boost could make that worse :?:

Turn that boost up anyway, we want more power :!:

One question, how the hell can you make a pass at 8:35 and another at 8:41 ???
6 MINUTES !!!
Even if I could make the first turn out, skip the timeslip shack, went straight back to the lanes. It would take an hour for the other cars ahead of me to go, and thats if it's a less than normal turn out.
On a Street Legal day it takes atleast 2 hours between passes, I won't even go on those days! All day for 2 maybe 3 runs.
Are you getting in on a private track rental day?
---Bill.

I'm still working on my burnouts and having problems with 'street habits'. The first few trips down the track I was *lifting* after hitting third gear. d-uh, go figger. And with my burnouts I'm still feathering into them instead of launching full throttle. This keeps me from getting up on the tires and making good smoke sometimes. Because of this I'm getting inconsistent hook at the line. If I can get my routines down and get better on my launch I should be able to get better times on the clock.

As to turn-around at the track, I try to make it down there on Test-N-Tune or Grudge nites when the crowds are thin. And, the guys running the track like me :D My first day at the track I made 9 runs. Last time, 7 runs. Sorry. :D

I like to do two runs, back-to-back, then back to the pits to review. One of the big advantages of doing the quick tiurn-arounds is building heat in the motor. That 427 really likes to run when it's hot and seems to make more power at about 205 degrees. Dunno what it is. My buddy Bill Creech thinks maybe blower tightens up when it gets hot, making more boost, more power. Could be, dunno.

At any rate, next time I hit the track I'll tweak the boost up to 1-to-1 and work on getting more heat in my slicks, getting better hook, and hopefully getting better times. We'll see.

sc68z28

#7 Post by sc68z28 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:22 am

All things considered your doing great for only two trips to the track.

I still can't get over a 6 minute turn around :shock: The track guys must really, REALLY, like you!!

During my normal 1 hour wait in the staging lanes I also try and keep some heat in mine. While others are spraying water on there radiators, I'm starting mine every so often and let it run for a few minutes.
I like to see about 160* on the temp gauge so my EFI will be in closed loop and Procharger also states the blower should be at opperating temp before it sees any high RPM.

Keep me posted on your next outing, OBTW your new fuel lines look fine. My fuel sys is all Aeromotive, good stuff.

---Bill.
68 Camaro, 380ci, Procharger, G-force 5 speed, EFI, 7" 2 disc clutch, best ET 8.69 @159

wikd69

#8 Post by wikd69 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:55 am

sc68z28 wrote:All things considered your doing great for only two trips to the track.

I still can't get over a 6 minute turn around :shock: The track guys must really, REALLY, like you!!

During my normal 1 hour wait in the staging lanes I also try and keep some heat in mine. While others are spraying water on there radiators, I'm starting mine every so often and let it run for a few minutes.
I like to see about 160* on the temp gauge so my EFI will be in closed loop and Procharger also states the blower should be at opperating temp before it sees any high RPM.

Keep me posted on your next outing, OBTW your new fuel lines look fine. My fuel sys is all Aeromotive, good stuff.

---Bill.
Bring your hotrod out here to Sac :) I'll intro you to my other racing buds and you too can do endless round-robin blasts down the track :) And just so you know, the last visit to the track I did *three* back to back runs right out of the trailer @ 7:50, 7:55 & 8:01 PM. I turned 11.05, 11.12 and 10.99 with those passes. I didn't post all my 11.xx videos to YouTube, and I didn't get one for my 10.99 pass. :mrgreen:

I'm also in the middle of some re-design on the new regulator mount - I'm spinning it 180 degrees so that the supply line is not so near the blower belt - this was a concern before and after I did some thinking I decided I'd better be safe than sorry. I can provide a bit more protection for those tender AN fittings and maybe prevent a flaming fireball exit on the return road. :-P

I'd like to learn more about your EFI / ProCharger setup. I'm really interested in that stuff, thinking that may be the next motor I build. This blower motor is fun and makes oodles of grunt but it's all old school (which is what I intended, actually). It just has limits on what you can reasonably do with it to make power. Your ride is killer, and I'm really interested in seeing what you built up front.

The fact that you're turning the times you are with a manual trans still blows my mind. Sheesh !!

3rdgear:

I'm thinking either ProCharger or twin-turbo, with some type of EFI / EMS box I can tweak. That'd be a lot of fun to build and tinker with. I've written a ton of software in my life, lots of it in C and C++, so something like the MegaSquirt roll-your-own stuff might be a hoot to start with. If you're really creative, you can do multi-stage injection and design / create lots of custom tuning stuff with that box. We'll see. I have to tame the first beast before I build a new one :D

sc68z28

#9 Post by sc68z28 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:32 pm

7 or so hours to Sacramento is a bit far, but it does sound like fun.

With your IT background you would really be able to take full advantage of an EFI with any boost package.
I'm running the FAST XFI box, I hear the MegaSquirt or BigStuff3 are very similar.
There is MoTeC and Haltech on the high end. They are completely over my head. Heck I'm still working on understanding mine after almost 3 years.

It is nice to be able to look at the data log (inc in FAST box) after a pass, then make a fuel/timing change with your lap top and never open the hood. And because they work off manifold absolute pressure (MAP) they self adjust for DA and track elevation.

And your right about multi stage fuel or dual fuel systems, the ECU can control all sorts of things like multi stage N2O, AC clutch control, boost control, trans brake, individual cyl corrections for timing and fuel, and much more.

I'm no expert on these things but what ever you want to know, just ask.

Like I allready said with your back ground and attention to detail, you would have a kick a$$ time with tuning your ride.

Thanks again for the kind words about my car, there's still more in it. I'll get a better handle on it next time out, maybe Sept.

---Bill.

wikd69

#10 Post by wikd69 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:51 pm

sc68z28 wrote:7 or so hours to Sacramento is a bit far, but it does sound like fun.

With your IT background you would really be able to take full advantage of an EFI with any boost package.
I'm running the FAST XFI box, I hear the MegaSquirt or BigStuff3 are very similar.
There is MoTeC and Haltech on the high end. They are completely over my head. Heck I'm still working on understanding mine after almost 3 years.

It is nice to be able to look at the data log (inc in FAST box) after a pass, then make a fuel/timing change with your lap top and never open the hood. And because they work off manifold absolute pressure (MAP) they self adjust for DA and track elevation.

And your right about multi stage fuel or dual fuel systems, the ECU can control all sorts of things like multi stage N2O, AC clutch control, boost control, trans brake, individual cyl corrections for timing and fuel, and much more.

I'm no expert on these things but what ever you want to know, just ask.

Like I allready said with your back ground and attention to detail, you would have a kick a$$ time with tuning your ride.

Thanks again for the kind words about my car, there's still more in it. I'll get a better handle on it next time out, maybe Sept.

---Bill.

Hey, now there's something I never considered. Shows ya just how creative I am.

Trans-brake, two-step trigger, air-shifter, there's lots of stuff I could build in as routines with that. I was thinking of the standard old engine mgmt system stuff, and some advanced timing curve / boost / injection tweaking, but you're right, there's a lot of cool stuff you could do.

Hmmmmm....