Fuel Pump

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

Omega Dude

Fuel Pump

#1 Post by Omega Dude » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:20 pm

My Carter Fuel pump died on the way to the track. I'm wondering if the 10% ethanol had anything to do with it, they say for gas only. It's been on the car for 20 years so no complaints there. It's the 72 gph 7 psi street/strip one.

I'm looking at the JEGS 130 gph on JEGS, it rated for gas and alcohol so that's a plus. :thumb: I would eventually like to run E-85 when it comes available here in Orlando.

Question: Can you mount a Holley/JEGS pump upside down ? Would make replacing my Carter alot easier if I can.

Anybody running the JEGS 130 gph pump ? Have you heard anything bad about them. I called, the tech dude said it produces 14 psi so I know I'm going to have to use a regulater close to the carb and set at 7psi.

Bruce

Hitchcock

Re: Fuel Pump

#2 Post by Hitchcock » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:31 pm

I have been told the jegs fuel pumps are made by holley.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

sverbus

#3 Post by sverbus » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:29 pm

Omega Dude...

I've got a Mallory Comp 140 with regulator that I'll sell! It was on the car for about 3 weeks and 1 pass. It wasn't big enough for my motor so I ended up going to the Magnafuel Quickstar 300.

PM me if you are interested. I do not know if you can run e-85 through it..I would think so.

thanks,

Scott
'70 Nova
434 small block
Best so far of 10.51 @ 131mph with a best so far 60' /1.46

Omega Dude

#4 Post by Omega Dude » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:40 pm

I called Holley tech and they said if I mount the pump upside down the gerotor would most likely have cavitation issues. What this means is the gas would get little bubbles in it as it moves through or over the gerotor which would cause the gas to boil, which isn't a good thing, and would eventually wear out the gerotor, not to mention cause fuel pressure issues as well.

If that wasn't reason enough not to mount a Holley pump upside down, then he explained that if the o-ring on the housing assembly was to start leaking it would cause a fire as it leaked on the pumps motor.

Called Federal-Mugal, they said the Carter pumps wouldn't have any issues pumping gas with 10% ethanol, so I asked, what about E-85 ? He laughed and said No, there's a big differance between 10% and 85%.

I guess I'll put another Carter pump on it again, since the last one lasted 20 years and Carter pumps are rated for constant use but this time I'll put their Black pump on, it's only 100 gph but it's rated at 14 psi.

Bruce