Need input on rules please.

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

nastynova

Need input on rules please.

#1 Post by nastynova » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:06 pm

To catch you up to speed here, we have a small podunk outlaw track here in our town, we've got so many guys here that do not have class to race in and we're trying to put something together so it will allow and car that is currently registered, inspected and insured a shot to race. Here are some generic rules we've thrown together but I'm getting crap from all sides that it's not fair. Any input would be great. We have no scales to weigh cars so we kinda threw the weight restrictions out the door right away. Again if you don't mind look over them carefully and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Heads Up Format .400 Tree
*1/8 Mile Racing w/2 Qualifying Passes
*Any CI. Allowed
*Any Single Power Adder Allowed, Nitrous Plates Limited to Single Stage w/unlimited jet size
*Mufflers are required
*Rear tires are limited to 29.5" tall with a 10.5" max. tread width as measured on slicks, no "W" Tires.
*Drag Radial Tires are limited to 29.5" tall with a 12.0" maximum width as measured on radials.
*Any Slick or DOT Slick tire is allowed as long as they meet the maximum size requirements.
*Fiberglass Limited to Hoods, Front Fenders, Deck Lids Only
*No Minimum Weight Restriction
*Current State Registration, Insurance, Plates Required & VIN Must match that of Car & Registration
*Any Rear Suspension, Stock, Leaf Springs, Ladder Bars, 4 Link allowed.
*Any Chassis, Round, Square, Stock Chassis Allowed as long other requirements are met.
*100% Pay Back to Winner & Runner Up of Event (70%-30%)

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Need input on rules please.

#2 Post by John_Heard » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:58 pm

That's around a 5 ohhhh or faster class right there.

The payouts will keep most heavy hitters from running it unless they're just messing around or something.

Oh - I noticed you have a restriction on Nitrous, but not on other power adders?

supernova

#3 Post by supernova » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Hmmmmmmmmm!
I don't know, It seems to open ended to me.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:49 pm

LOL, yeah I see it.. Guess we'll only run one plate, the other two stages can be foggers :twisted:

Actually I was being conservative, any of the outlaw drag radial cars would fit that class, or True Ten Five. So let's drop it down to the 4.70/Low seven's range.

ProCar

#5 Post by ProCar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:19 pm

At the risk of being a c*ck blocker...

You're drawing from a very limited pool of cars around here, you need to get the staging lanes full. I'd suggest letting foggers in, any tire with a 10.5 on the sidewall (yess, even 33x10.5's) but keep them backhalf. You may have a buddy with a chassis car, but the ability to get a 50/50 balance and get light will be dominant factors. I'd love to show up with a 582ci Chevy head engine and a plate in a chassis car, 2x3 whatever, even with the required steel it'd weigh 2850 and it would be scary fast on 29.5 10.5's. The weight balance and engine location alone is worth .05 in the sixty. A small block would make it worse, with no weight limit. Imagine Mikey T with 400 lbs. out of that Camaro....

It's easy to tweak the rules if you have 12 cars regularly, to get balance, harder to get guys to come if it's too narrow a scope in the first place. Perhaps a tire limit on blower/turbo... but you have to get them to come out. Odds are Tim Lynch won't be showing up, and I am sure you're nervous about a legit Outlaw car, but tracks like that have a way of offering enough traction issues to level some things.

It isn't much, but limiting the blower and turbos to small blocks only might help. I donno, it depends who will truly make the commitment to show, not the jerk-offs that talk then never show.

Sorry I don't have many positive things to add, I just got freaked over the chassis thing.

mytmouz

#6 Post by mytmouz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:11 am

At least you are trying to have rules. At my local track, they go by tire size, and that's pretty much it. If you can get it to hook with 5 kits, then it's OK... :nutkick:
Trucks are for haulin...

nastynova

#7 Post by nastynova » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:34 am

Okay here's the deal, I posted these to get input, nothing has been posted to the racers yet for final rules. I know they may be crude and pretty open but around here where I live there are no Heads Up Classes that the working man can afford to run in, nor do we want to drive 6 hrs. to the closest track to get spanked and sent home with our tails between our legs. Our shit does run fast for what it is around here, and I'm just trying to organize something regardless of the rules so we can get more people to the track to race. We don't have access to any scales to be able to put a min. weight on cars so that's out of the question. Basically yes they are crude but we have to work with what we've got, so if any of you guys want some easy cash and willing to travel 12-14 hours to race and walk away with the cash plan on coming. At least we're trying, no it may not be as well organized as the MAKO 10.5 or some other Org. but we'll make it work.

ProCar

#8 Post by ProCar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:21 am

In no way was I trying to be insulting. In my opinion, in many cases, the more open the better. With the NSCA I often tried to tighten things up so much I had no one in the staging lanes. That hurts. I think what you are doing is admirable, a good thing, and maybe I am reading the tone of your post wrong, but you wanted input and you got it.

You don't need scales, or a P and G, or anything else to have a rip roaring good time, that's for sure. What I found with the NSCA is that I would allow something to aid a loyal racer, and someone else with a similar, but taken to the limit combo handed me my ass by exploiting the loophole. It doesn't matter if you race heads up belt sanders, someone will spend a fortune to be the top dog. Sad but true.

Anyone willing to try and do something like this is helping the sport- but as I said, be successful with car count, and the 'personality' of the class will shine through. I think the local cars will have a ton of fun no matter what you line up for rules, kudos for the effort.

My worries with chassis cars is akin to the ADRL and their 10.5 versus ORSCA and theirs. Three tenths separate the two, the only difference is the chassis for the most part. It is in everyone's best interest in Central NY for you to succeed.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#9 Post by John_Heard » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:44 am

X2 with what Patrick said, I wasn't trying to make fun of your rules or nothing. Writing rules for a heads up class that will make it popular and be successful isn't easy for all the reasons listed above and then some. It's certainly a challange. One of our local tracks is currently discussing doing some more shootouts too, same deal.

How do you keep the rules open enough to get the car count up but avoid having somebody coming in and blowing everyone away and discouraging the other racers? Lack of payout is one way, but it's funny how much people will spend to win so little - but we all get carried away with that, some more than others.

Then there's the issue of putting spectators in the stands...

nastynova

#10 Post by nastynova » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:13 am

Thanks guys! I appreciate the words from everyone and no offense taken by anything anyone said, that's why I posted this. My only point was that though the rules may seem very open I'm faced with a very lmited pool of cars to choose fromwhen it comes to this kind of racing. It's like I told the one guy when he asked why I was letting full tube chassis cars in, I told him, if you can get a full tube chassis car, registered, current plates that match the VIN and inspected than they're more than welcome to come race. We're kinda backwoods down here where we are and well we do things a bit different! Again I appreciate the words of wisdom!

HPDRIFTER

#11 Post by HPDRIFTER » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:55 am

Here's something that seems to be drawing a lot on interest out here in the middle of nowhere.
You might get ideas some that you can use from it.

http://vampracing.no-ip.com/nuke/

Good luck. People seem to like the taste of the hand that's trying to help them.

TubbedTruck67

#12 Post by TubbedTruck67 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:13 pm

I would say glass bumpers should be alowed. I doubt anybody with glass fenders is going to have steel bumpers. 8-)

ytnova

#13 Post by ytnova » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:36 am

Make them drive a 30 mile cruise with a lead car and a tail car, if they pass the lead car or get passed by the tail car, then they are out. That will keep most of your super high doller cars out and let most of your "street cars" still be able to play.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.