CARNAGE!

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

nastynova

CARNAGE!

#1 Post by nastynova » Sat May 16, 2009 7:32 am

Well we took the Nova out last night to make some more passes on it since we've made the updates to the rear suspension, car ran excellent on the motor and we had a best 60' of 1.35 which surpassed our previous of 1.38, on our last pass we put the bottle in and pulled the timing and put in the 300 pills in the plate. Went through the whole routine in the box, staged, let the button go and Boom, bang, pow du dum du dum, clunk clunk clunk......wtf! Not sure where the failure took place, but we destroyed the driveshaft, slip yoke and the front u-joint which was all 1350 stuff, ripped the tail housing off the transmission TH400. Here's a pic of some of the stuff we picked up last night off the track that was cool enough to pickup, we didn't feel it necessary to show the 100's of needle bearings. LOL! Anyways, we were fortunate enough to be pitted next to Jamie Stanton from the NMCA which I might add is one of the friendliest and outgoing guys out there, my stomach and face still hurts from all the laughing we did with those guys last night, he was there doing some testing last night and he came over after the mishap an looked at our pile of parts and said it looked like the front u-joint no being a solid joint was the culprit, which when we had the drive shaft built we specified that it be able to handle in excess of 1000HP. He's done 5 or 6 shafts for us over the years and never one problem. We had a made a pass prior to that with the same tune and no problems. The only thing different was we put in the new ladder bars, but we set the pinion angle back to where it was before with 1 degree negative.

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: CARNAGE!

#2 Post by John_Heard » Sat May 16, 2009 9:34 am

Ouch... :shock:

wikd69

#3 Post by wikd69 » Sat May 16, 2009 5:08 pm

nastynova wrote:Well we took the Nova out last night to make some more passes on it since we've made the updates to the rear suspension, car ran excellent on the motor and we had a best 60' of 1.35 which surpassed our previous of 1.38, on our last pass we put the bottle in and pulled the timing and put in the 300 pills in the plate. Went through the whole routine in the box, staged, let the button go and Boom, bang, pow du dum du dum, clunk clunk clunk......wtf! Not sure where the failure took place, but we destroyed the driveshaft, slip yoke and the front u-joint which was all 1350 stuff, ripped the tail housing off the transmission TH400. Here's a pic of some of the stuff we picked up last night off the track that was cool enough to pickup, we didn't feel it necessary to show the 100's of needle bearings. LOL! Anyways, we were fortunate enough to be pitted next to Jamie Stanton from the NMCA which I might add is one of the friendliest and outgoing guys out there, my stomach and face still hurts from all the laughing we did with those guys last night, he was there doing some testing last night and he came over after the mishap an looked at our pile of parts and said it looked like the front u-joint no being a solid joint was the culprit, which when we had the drive shaft built we specified that it be able to handle in excess of 1000HP. He's done 5 or 6 shafts for us over the years and never one problem. We had a made a pass prior to that with the same tune and no problems. The only thing different was we put in the new ladder bars, but we set the pinion angle back to where it was before with 1 degree negative.
Sorry to see you having probs - did this hurt the trans-case or just destroy the tailshaft housing ?
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

chpcamaro

#4 Post by chpcamaro » Sat May 16, 2009 5:25 pm

ouch hopefully it will be easy and cheap to fix so you can get back to the track soon
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

supernova

#5 Post by supernova » Sat May 16, 2009 9:44 pm

1350 solid u-joint is the only way to go if your on a t-brake! I did the same thing with a 4 speed yrs ago. It broke in third gear at about a 100 mph and scared the crap out of me.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

79 Camaro

#6 Post by 79 Camaro » Sat May 16, 2009 11:53 pm

supernova wrote:1350 solid u-joint is the only way to go if your on a t-brake! I did the same thing with a 4 speed yrs ago. It broke in third gear at about a 100 mph and scared the crap out of me.
WOW I bet that was scary as hell :shock:

S
nastynova wrote:Well we took the Nova out last night to make some more passes on it since we've made the updates to the rear suspension, car ran excellent on the motor and we had a best 60' of 1.35 which surpassed our previous of 1.38, on our last pass we put the bottle in and pulled the timing and put in the 300 pills in the plate. Went through the whole routine in the box, staged, let the button go and Boom, bang, pow du dum du dum, clunk clunk clunk......wtf! Not sure where the failure took place, but we destroyed the driveshaft, slip yoke and the front u-joint which was all 1350 stuff, ripped the tail housing off the transmission TH400. Here's a pic of some of the stuff we picked up last night off the track that was cool enough to pickup, we didn't feel it necessary to show the 100's of needle bearings. LOL! Anyways, we were fortunate enough to be pitted next to Jamie Stanton from the NMCA which I might add is one of the friendliest and outgoing guys out there, my stomach and face still hurts from all the laughing we did with those guys last night, he was there doing some testing last night and he came over after the mishap an looked at our pile of parts and said it looked like the front u-joint no being a solid joint was the culprit, which when we had the drive shaft built we specified that it be able to handle in excess of 1000HP. He's done 5 or 6 shafts for us over the years and never one problem. We had a made a pass prior to that with the same tune and no problems. The only thing different was we put in the new ladder bars, but we set the pinion angle back to where it was before with 1 degree negative.
Sorry to hear about the carnage. Hopefully it didnt mess up the car any on the underside?
"THE THROTTLE IS THE DEVIL" By Mr. Willis
"ALL I SEEN WAS HOOD!" By Mr. Heard
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:
Total Removal Contracting-Tim Rogers

DL

#7 Post by DL » Sun May 17, 2009 9:35 am

been there!!! i was about 20 ft out drive shaft,thirdmember,exaust,took out some internal parts in the trans also,sounds like a bomb goes off under ur car :shock:
real-street fan

supernova

#8 Post by supernova » Sun May 17, 2009 10:42 am

DL wrote:been there!!! i was about 20 ft out drive shaft,thirdmember,exaust,took out some internal parts in the trans also,sounds like a bomb goes off under ur car :shock:

Yep it does sound like a bomb going off. I bet my car jumped 2 ft off the ground when it happened. It beat the hell out of the under side of the car too.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

gmracing355

#9 Post by gmracing355 » Sun May 17, 2009 11:35 pm

I did the same in my old malibu wagon.Removed everything from the back of the engine to rear,lol.Boy was it loud.
Greg

hugger73hatch

#10 Post by hugger73hatch » Sat May 23, 2009 11:25 pm

My driveshaft exploded on the street a couple of years ago...not fun and lots of damage....driveshaft, u joints, driveshaft loop, ring and pinion, posi, mufflers and pipes...it sucks for sure.
73 Nova Hatchback, 408 Small Block 13-1, Iron Heads, 6.972 @ 98.362, 1.468 60', 3450 lbs, still tuning
28 x 9 Slick, N/A

http://www.esquireservices.net

camaroman9

#11 Post by camaroman9 » Sun May 24, 2009 10:40 pm

DL wrote:been there!!! i was about 20 ft out drive shaft,thirdmember,exaust,took out some internal parts in the trans also,sounds like a bomb goes off under ur car :shock:
yeah, and because you broke, it started raining before i made it to the waterbox... :nutkick: :lol:
C&S carbureted 388 SBC, PT106, TH400, e85
http://www.timsbodyandglass.com
Special thanks to:
Bentune Performance & Fabrication (417)483-5584
Performance Coatings + (417)439-0546
C&R Transmission (417)736-2191