rim screws

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

supernova

Re: rim screws

#31 Post by supernova » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:12 pm

There is so much more to the wheel screw thing then even Ed knows. (Special Ed)
I've seen video of some tire testing and wheel screw tesing in slow motion. Just the number of screws in the rim-tire combo can change how the tire will act on the track surface. The more screws that are in the wheel, lets say 12 on each side the closer the folds (or wrinkles) will be at launch to each other over just 8 screws installed. If you have ever seen a tire fold over itself at the contact surface you know that that's not a good thing. (It happens on bigger tires mostly, not smaller tires). You can change the way it folds over by adding wheel screws or adding more screws. More screws makes the wrinkles smaller, less screws make the wrinkles bigger. But it's all to a point the tire will wrinkle on it's own with out screws.

Now I bet even SPECIAL ED didn't know that!!!!!!!!!! Boy he's a smart one..........
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

wikd69

#32 Post by wikd69 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:26 pm

go to guy wrote:rim screws are always a fun topic! ;)

[If Charlie Wescott Jr. the NHRA National Record holder for the quickest and fastest SS/AH "Hemi" Cuda running 8.38 @ 157.08 and 1.156 60 foot at 3200 lbs. don't have bead locks or rim screws as fas as I know, YOU don't need them! ;) :lol:

John, looks like Wescott didn't get your 8 second car memo either and I'm certain Wescott Jr., his father and all their competors in SS/AH the most impressive cars in NHRA Super Stock WITHOUT rim screws or bead locks, are worried about spinning their tires off the rim! lmao2:
Hey GTG - is your name Ed ? If so, what, you just could'nt stay away after being booted the last time ?

If your name is *not* Ed, you might want to cruise through the *other* thread on rim screws and check out well *that* turned out. I'm just saying...
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

kyleracer

#33 Post by kyleracer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:22 am

Thanks supernova ! :thumb: That is what I had heard before but was not sure about if more screws caused more wrinkles and folding or less ? Or if no screws caused even less wrinkles and folding or more - etc ! I was told that info before but the old memory is not what it was. I should learn to write this stuff down :lol: See Ed that was not so hard to understand was it !! :nutkick:

kyleracer

#34 Post by kyleracer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:24 am

BTW what size screws should you us if you are going to us them ?? Does it make a diff ? :scratch:

supernova

#35 Post by supernova » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:38 am

kyleracer wrote:BTW what size screws should you us if you are going to us them ?? Does it make a diff ? :scratch:
Any wheel screw will do, I have Moroso brand and I run 8 per side with a drag radial. :thumb:

Even Ed might have learned something if he would have kept his mouth shut!!!!!!!!!! :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#36 Post by John_Heard » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:25 am

I think the bead lock is the ultimate in what we're looking for in regards to holding the tire on the rim as it evenly distributes the load on the bead - much better than screws. But the dang things are both heavy and expensive, so most of us make due with screws. Maybe glue (Hi-Tack) and screws is a better substitue than just screws? One thing to be aware of with screws is they do get dull. If you ever notice them not wanting to bite into the bead good - they can actually push the bead off the rim some when trying to go in. I do know a very sharp racer (MDRC) that puts new screws in with every change of tires to prevent that from happening.

Last weekend Sam (TubbedTruck) put his wagon up on three wheels several times before contacting the wall when it got all out of shape at MoKan. I couldn't help but think afterwards what would have happened if he didn't have his tires glued to the rim. Would one of them popped off when he was sideways over 100 mph? I'm glad we didn't find out.

Hitchcock

#37 Post by Hitchcock » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:31 am

John_Heard wrote:I think the bead lock is the ultimate in what we're looking for in regards to holding the tire on the rim as it evenly distributes the load on the bead - much better than screws. But the dang things are both heavy and expensive, so most of us make due with screws. Maybe glue (Hi-Tack) and screws is a better substitue than just screws? One thing to be aware of with screws is they do get dull. If you ever notice them not wanting to bite into the bead good - they can actually push the bead off the rim some when trying to go in. I do know a very sharp racer (MDRC) that puts new screws in with every change of tires to prevent that from happening.

Last weekend Sam (TubbedTruck) put his wagon up on three wheels several times before contacting the wall when it got all out of shape at MoKan. I couldn't help but think afterwards what would have happened if he didn't have his tires glued to the rim. Would one of them popped off when he was sideways over 100 mph? I'm glad we didn't find out.
Well, look at what Apache Racer said. He only saw it twice since 66. But both thise guys would have rather had screws than deal with what they had to. Odds are it will never happen. But it only has to happen once for a life changing event to occur. imho.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

supernova

#38 Post by supernova » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:01 am

I've only seen it once and that's all it took for me. As far safty goes I don't take chances.

I do agree with Jonh on bead locks but can't afford them right now. Tire screws it is!!!

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

dadnova

#39 Post by dadnova » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:59 am

I run the screws.
When we marked the tires at the valve stem to help see tire spin, after a few passes we noticed the mark was now at the opp. side of the rim *180 from the valve stem, so the screws went in.
Gotta plan, spend it before she can, and go as fast as you can.

vegaracer

#40 Post by vegaracer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:10 am

John_Heard wrote:Last weekend Sam (TubbedTruck) put his wagon up on three wheels several times before contacting the wall when it got all out of shape at MoKan. I couldn't help but think afterwards what would have happened if he didn't have his tires glued to the rim. Would one of them popped off when he was sideways over 100 mph? I'm glad we didn't find out.
This is off topic, but what happened to Sam's wagon? Is it real bad?
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

John_Heard
Site Admin

#41 Post by John_Heard » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:18 am

Sam's ok, he's got a dent in the wallet for sure. The wagon's going to need a new fender, frame straightened, etc. but all in all it's repairable and could have been a lot worse. I was very relieved to see him pop open the door when he finally got stopped. The car in the other lane is Rick Merriman who's also a Dragstuff member. Rick went on to win the 2nd Chance race... Sam should be commended for staying out of Rick's door...

wikd69

#42 Post by wikd69 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:20 am

John_Heard wrote:Sam's ok, he's got a dent in the wallet for sure. The wagon's going to need a new fender, frame straightened, etc. but all in all it's repairable and could have been a lot worse. I was very relieved to see him pop open the door when he finally got stopped. The car in the other lane is Rick Merriman who's also a Dragstuff member. Rick went on to win the 2nd Chance race... Sam should be commended for staying out of Rick's door...

Damn !!!!! I sure hate seeing that happen !!!! Glad he was ok, tho.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

Hitchcock

#43 Post by Hitchcock » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Oh no!, glad to see he was not hurt, man he almost saved it. My heart goes out to you man, that hurts! :(
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

Carolina Kid

#44 Post by Carolina Kid » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:55 pm

Sam's wagon sure looks good leaving the line.
Hate to see it messed up but am glad that he wasn't hurt.
Thanks for the video...

supernova

#45 Post by supernova » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:34 pm

Ouch!!! Glad no one was hurt. I though you were going to save it there for a second. Hate to see that. Your wagon looks like it runs hard. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Last edited by supernova on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs