Covans dash inserts

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

sc racing

Covans dash inserts

#1 Post by sc racing » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:44 pm

I cant find the thread that Scott V posted about these dash inserts but I thought Id post a pic of the one I did for a 67 Chevelle at the shop. It might look good in the pic but this is after hours of trimming , cutting the metal dash, welding a "box" in for the radio to mount and trimming for a/c vents. I dont like to bash products but for the price they charge they should just drop in and fit. I would strongly recommend not buying one for your ride.
Attachments
IMG_5644 (Small).JPG

sverbus

Re: Covans dash inserts

#2 Post by sverbus » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:36 am

Thanks man for the info...I've decided against it. I'm going to try and come up with something very unique. I'm not sure what that is yet :) but I'm gonna try.
'70 Nova
434 small block
Best so far of 10.51 @ 131mph with a best so far 60' /1.46

sc racing

#3 Post by sc racing » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:56 pm

sverbus wrote:Thanks man for the info...I've decided against it. I'm going to try and come up with something very unique. I'm not sure what that is yet :) but I'm gonna try.
Lots of carboard templates first :lol:

wikd69

#4 Post by wikd69 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:05 pm

Dunno if it's of help, but here is what I did with mine. I looked at the Covan and DSE inserts (along with whatever else I could find) and they were too limiting and too damn expensive.

The spaces where I mounted the gauges on either side were where the heater controls and AC vents had been in the original dash. The previous owner had filled the dash holes, etc., and it just worked out that I could mount the gauges like you see them. I used the 15 degree tilt rings to angle them in towards the drivers center and it worked out well. The only gotcha is the boost gauge in the center, due to the slope of the original dash surface. In order for it to present correctly I really should have used a 30 degree tilt ring to get the right angle. Problem was, I couldn't find one and ran out of time to fabricate one.

This isn't as slick or clean as one of the aftermarket inserts, but it let me keep my original speedo and fuel gauge, and retained some of the stock look to the dash. You may be able to something similar.

This shows you a view of the dash layout as it exists today. Pretty functional and cost effective in the way it came together.

And here's a view of the mix of orginal and aftermarket. I like it, but I'm more influenced by the amount of information available for the dollars spent. I don't have much artistic talent.

1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

Hitchcock

#5 Post by Hitchcock » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:11 pm

I like the stock dash look. My interior is gonna be stock wxcpet for the shifter. By the way WIKD 69, why is your blower hanging in limbo? Loaning it to a nova owner? :lol:
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

wikd69

#6 Post by wikd69 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:16 pm

Hitchcock wrote:I like the stock dash look. My interior is gonna be stock wxcpet for the shifter. By the way WIKD 69, why is your blower hanging in limbo? Loaning it to a nova owner? :lol:
Sure thing, just tell me where to ship it :mrgreen:

It was either going on or coming off, I don't recall which. I wimped out and used the hoist. My back (and knees and other old creaky parts) just isn't up to manually hoicking the damn thing off by hand...

Bruce69Camaro

#7 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:25 am

Hey Harry,

I like that look. What material did they use to fill in those area's and even down where the wiper switch would have been?

They are 2-5/8" gauges correct?

thanks

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

wikd69

#8 Post by wikd69 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:45 am

Bruce69Camaro wrote:Hey Harry,

I like that look. What material did they use to fill in those area's and even down where the wiper switch would have been?

They are 2-5/8" gauges correct?

thanks

Bruce
The main gauges are 2 5/8" and the smaller volt meter down below is 2 1/16".

They used fiberglass and thin veneer (1/8") plywood as a backing material. Lucky for me they didn't use cardboard or anything flimsy - that might have caused problems supporting the gauges, etc.

I designed the gauge layouts using graphics software (Visio) and then printed the dash layouts to scale on my laser printer. I cut the sections out using scissors and then lightly glued the templates in place, marking my drill locations very precisely. This made it super easy - all I had do do then was drill my pilot holes through the templates and then use a hole cuttter of the appropriate size. Easy, thougha bit nerve wracking. :mrgreen:

I mounted the AutoMeter monster tach down under the dash, in the center. I sort of liked the look of the tach on top of the dash but didn't want to drill through the new dash pad to mount it. I ended up hanging the tach down below and mounted my shift light on the steering column, out of sight from the outside. I like this current setup - having that big tach on top of the dash just seemed too much, somehow, with the blower sticking up in front of you as well. I have enough issues with line-of-sight now, without adding to it :lol: :roll:

Bruce69Camaro

#9 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks for the help. I'm not to good with fiberglass so maybe some 16 awg sheet-metal might get used.

Right now I have my water and oil mounted to the steering column and the volt guage mounted under the dash.

My tach is mounted on the pilar post using a mounting pod made by Autometer. That's a nice setup.

I'd like to try and mount my two of my three gauges on the side above the radio cutout. I'll see if I can get the
metal to work first and if not, drive out to Calif and borrow your setup... :thumb:

thanks buddy in advance.....

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

wikd69

#10 Post by wikd69 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:35 pm

Bruce69Camaro wrote:Thanks for the help. I'm not to good with fiberglass so maybe some 16 awg sheet-metal might get used.

Right now I have my water and oil mounted to the steering column and the volt guage mounted under the dash.

My tach is mounted on the pilar post using a mounting pod made by Autometer. That's a nice setup.

I'd like to try and mount my two of my three gauges on the side above the radio cutout. I'll see if I can get the
metal to work first and if not, drive out to Calif and borrow your setup... :thumb:

thanks buddy in advance.....

Bruce
:mrgreen: