getting drunk maybe I'lltryalcoholhave????s

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

bottlesempty

getting drunk maybe I'lltryalcoholhave????s

#1 Post by bottlesempty » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:58 pm

I run a11.25:1compression 406 on pump gas before the stroke I swappedthe 3310 750vacuum secondarycarb for a loaner 850 mechanical secondary barry grant carb and pickedup 8tenths in1/4mile my uncle spoke with my wifee about converting his nova to alcohol In response my wife offered to purchase me an alcoholcarb what are the benefits of alcohol vs gasoline ismethanol alcohol specs on carb say calibrated for methanolcan you spray nitrous with methanol does alcohol require higher cfm carb than gas for an application my motor ran so much better in upper rpm with 850 the methanol carb wifey found is950cfm would that work ok my combo is listed in this forum under topiOne more passtime for the kid is this 950ncarb compatable I have no experience with alcohol Iwas told it will make my car leave like a beast is it worth converting to run methanol is methanol alcohol?

HPDRIFTER

Re: getting drunk maybe I'lltryalcoholhave????s

#2 Post by HPDRIFTER » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:47 am

Here's about all I know about alcohol, in just a couple of lines:
You will need about twice the volume of alcohol that you do gasoline, so you have to have a fuel system that will feed it.
A common problem with switching to alcohol on a carburated motor is it leaning out on the top end. The logical thing to do is to richen the secondaries with bigger jets. This is where guys start pulling their hair, because the problem just gets worse. What's really happening is the fuel bowls are running dry because the bigger jets required for alcohol pull more liquid out of the bowl than the neddle valve can let in to replace it.

Three solutions that I know of:
1) Multiple carbs. A whole other set of problems.
2) Fuel injection. $$$s
3) PSI Dual Neddle Valve/Dual Float/Higher Volume float bowls. Neat set up.

One other option that I'm considering: Run E85 instead of racing alcohol. Much cheaper than racing gas or racing alcohol. Will run in high compression engines and requires fewer modifications to your fuel systems. Start by looking here: http://www.raceone85.com/

What ever you decide, good luck.

apacheracing

#3 Post by apacheracing » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Drifter makes very good points. I have seen some guys make the switch and do very well with the alky, and others that didnt gain a thing but their stuff ran cooler. There is no cut and dried answer if it will be an imporvement over what you have now. Let us know what you do and how things go. LATER, Apache

Speedster

#4 Post by Speedster » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:01 pm

maintenance! I have played with alky for quite awhile in the sprint cars and midgets and you need to spend alot of time doing maintenance if you want to keep your stuff clean and working right!
I have never used it in a carb only injection but i can tell you they are right about using much more alky then gas.
Also your compression might be a little low?
with injection you really put alot of fuel through the system so you need really good pump/pump's and big fuel line and return line.
then there is the whole barrel valve and pills and by passes? :smt002

Speedster

#5 Post by Speedster » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:05 pm

i forgot make sure before you put alky in the tank you pull any of the foam you may have in there or you will be picking little black chunks of it out of you whole system.
We ran 3 of the micro filters on our system to keep stuff out of the fuel system.

vegaracer

#6 Post by vegaracer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Methanol is alcohol. If you run a good top end lube in your fuel, you don't have to worry about all of the problems everyone is going to say you will have. The fuel system in my car is never drained, and my lines, fittings, nozzles and barrel valve still look good. And thats even after sitting all winter. Like others have said, you will use almost twice as much alochol as you would gas, the motor will run cooler down track, and it will also take longer to warm up if you don't have a method to lean the motor out. And yes, the car will leave harder on alcohol.
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

lightnin

#7 Post by lightnin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:47 am

we use klotz lube and like vegaracer said never had any issues like mentioned we run carbs and belt driven fuel pump never run out of fuel get youre pump with youre carb it will be made to match we got ours through BLP