Question for those who have Plexiglass

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

Blade

Question for those who have Plexiglass

#1 Post by Blade » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:15 pm

Can you put it in the doors and have them still roll up and down?
1967 Camaro

Hey I gotta 9 sec car, in the 8th! lol

Jegs
Mike Curley Racing
Capital Raceway
Maryland International Raceway

427belair

Re: Question for those who have Plexiglass

#2 Post by 427belair » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:14 pm

Ive never seen it before. Not sure if its because of the flexibility of the lexan or if its something else. It would be realy nice to have the weight reduction and still be able to roll them down in the staging lanes to cool off.

Bruce69Camaro

#3 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:14 am

Blade,

Why would you want to use plexiglass over lexan?

Lexan is much easier to work with and you don't have the "cracking out", when drilling it or cutting it like you do with plexiglass, at least that is what I experienced here in our shop when working with it.

I know this sounds stupid, but I have seen a 67 Camaro that had the front windows installed with Dzus fasteners, so if he wanted to remove them, all he did was pop the buttons. Don't know if that's what your looking for or not.

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

K-Star Automotive

#4 Post by K-Star Automotive » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:02 am

You really need the lexan. Don't use plexiglass.

Most cars that have lexan windows that go up and down just use straight tracks and a simple seat belt under them to pull on to raise and lower the window. I really don't see any reason why you couldn't use the factory tracks and winder set-up and just glue the lexan in place of the glass. If it has a curved window you are going to need to find a way to curve the lexan to work in the tracks.

Keith

spib

#5 Post by spib » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:58 am

I could have done that maybee with my s10 blazer, my lexan is in the window channels but I didnt want the weight so I gutted out the doors
http://www.youtube.com/user/spib43
10.56 @128 best to date

sg7365

#6 Post by sg7365 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Yes
just like all the others said---use the lexan or polycarbonate or other shatterproof material, (Minumum 1/8" thick). 1/8" minumum is for the front windshield/windows although I ran 1/8" all around never had a problem. But if you choose to do the front-I know you didn't ask-no tinting allowed and I ran a one inch by 1/8" piece of strap metal for the center to keep the flex down.
Use of Lexan or polycarbonate with the right jigsaw blade----use a carbide jigsaw blade (no teeth) and you won't have a problem. Plexiglass is just not the way to go. Unless they did some improvements on this in the last five years--lexan is still the best bet. I've seen somebody who was at the track and just cut the plexliglass with a regular jig saw blade and man---did that thing looooook dangerous. You would have to wear leathers on your arm so you wouldn't get cut.
Be sure to bevel the edges so those sharp edges don't cut anything-a regular file will do but used some sandpaper.
I fully agree with all the others who responded.
Ron

sunsation540

#7 Post by sunsation540 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:08 am

I have some polycobarnate? what he said.. a shop here in okc molded it to my orignal glass sides and rear for proper curves, looks just like factory and the sides are installed to the regulators and roll up just fine,
make a plan and stick to it !!

John_Heard
Site Admin

#8 Post by John_Heard » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:53 am

What did they charge you to mold it John?

hsutton

#9 Post by hsutton » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:37 am

sunsation540 wrote:I have some polycobarnate? what he said.. a shop here in okc molded it to my orignal glass sides and rear for proper curves, looks just like factory and the sides are installed to the regulators and roll up just fine,
John, is that what Percy's Fastgl ass is made of?

Rick M

#10 Post by Rick M » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:15 pm

hsutton wrote:
sunsation540 wrote:I have some polycobarnate? what he said.. a shop here in okc molded it to my orignal glass sides and rear for proper curves, looks just like factory and the sides are installed to the regulators and roll up just fine,
John, is that what Percy's Fastgl ass is made of?
Harold, More than likely speedglass is made from marguard which is just a polycarbonate with a scratch resistant coating . Lexan is just a brand name . If you're looking to attach it to the factory regulators go to a local glass shop and ask for some tuff pak you just fold it over the bottom of the door glass(lexan) and drive it on with a mallet its just a pressure fit.
D/R 119 5.52@ 128.53

julven

#11 Post by julven » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:56 pm

I got molded Speedy glass from Percy's and they say I can roll it up and down.I have not got it installed we are working on stripping out some 74 Nova doors to use the guts and not run the wing to save weight from my 72.