MOKAN MAKO 10.5

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

#16 Post by John_Heard » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:52 pm

That's a beautiful Chevelle he's got there Phil.. I was drooling over his oil pan and aluminum 3rd member!

I don't really see a good reason to limit the car to 477 when we can go all the way to 638 with our rules?? I'd have to spin something that small pretty high to work I think. For the time being I'm set on a 598 or 632, have already started collecting parts. The rules very much favor the small blocks with an F2 on alky both for hp and weight breaks... if I was smart that's the way I should go. I hear Morris is getting 1700 hp out of those combos on a small block! Pretty hard to get there with a conventional head big block on a #4 line with the BB weight penalty.

gearjammer

#17 Post by gearjammer » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:23 pm

Beyond wrote:That's a beautiful Chevelle he's got there Phil.. I was drooling over his oil pan and aluminum 3rd member!

I don't really see a good reason to limit the car to 477 when we can go all the way to 638 with our rules?? I'd have to spin something that small pretty high to work I think. For the time being I'm set on a 598 or 632, have already started collecting parts. The rules very much favor the small blocks with an F2 on alky both for hp and weight breaks... if I was smart that's the way I should go. I hear Morris is getting 1700 hp out of those combos on a small block! Pretty hard to get there with a conventional head big block on a #4 line with the BB weight penalty.
Thats very true, but 8.80 N/A and a fogger says 7.50 :shock:
Phil aka Gearjammer
JPR Racing
1972 Nova
Drag Radial

gearjammer

#18 Post by gearjammer » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:28 pm

[quote="Beyond"]That's a beautiful Chevelle he's got there Phil.. I was drooling over his oil pan and aluminum 3rd member!

He just broke the 3rd member, he had to go to DTS for a loaner till his new one comes in next week.

He went to that new Drag Radial Slick and his car shook so hard it broke the carrier, he later found out he didn't have enough air in those slicks. He was use to running 14 - 18 ", with the Radials you have to run 20 - 24#

At 60' he shook so hard the rear view mirror came off and still ran 9.28 at 3,800
Last edited by gearjammer on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil aka Gearjammer
JPR Racing
1972 Nova
Drag Radial

John_Heard
Site Admin

#19 Post by John_Heard » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:44 pm

That video showed 9.40's something at 143? Old video or something? I agree if he's running 8.80's now then 7's are definately in reach on the bottle. That's pretty awesome for what looks to be what..3500lbs? You don't think he's BS'ing you about it being a 477 do ya?

gearjammer

#20 Post by gearjammer » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:42 pm

Beyond wrote:That video showed 9.40's something at 143? Old video or something? I agree if he's running 8.80's now then 7's are definately in reach on the bottle. That's pretty awesome for what looks to be what..3500lbs? You don't think he's BS'ing you about it being a 477 do ya?
No I know what is engine is, its a 4.500" bore GM Bow Tie block (pro stock), 15.1 compression and so on.

The class he runs is American Muscle which is an index class and he runs the 9.50 class. Trust me when I tell you that at 3,600# minus driver (200#) that is a very fast 3,800 pound 1965 Chevelle.

At Milan he runs the heads up NA class and does ok but if you dont run 8.50 or better you may as well go home.
Phil aka Gearjammer
JPR Racing
1972 Nova
Drag Radial

John_Heard
Site Admin

#21 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:44 am

8.80's with a 477 at that weight it is a very impressive motor by anyone's standards! You got anymore details on the motor? Heads, etc?

MOOSE

#22 Post by MOOSE » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:01 pm

We'll John if your not going to say it I will, I call BS on that 8.80 naturally aspirated. Either the cubic inch is wrong or the weight of the car is wrong. Don't take offense Phil, but that's hard to bite into.

MOOSE :D :D

John_Heard
Site Admin

#23 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:35 pm

I gotta say I have yet to see something that small run that fast at that weight. John Langer in NMCA Pro Stock is running 8.80's (record in that N/A Class) and I believe he's much lighter and bigger cu. in. than that. Stanton also is close to that ET, but again lighter and bigger I think. I would have to believe that Langer's and Stanton's motors are pretty much state of the art for what they are doing. Max cubes in that class I think is 525@3550? Guess it's not impossible but what's he doing in American Muscle?? I'd yank some weight out (3450 is legal at 477) and go bust up Pro Stock big time!

John_Heard
Site Admin

#24 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:14 pm

Got curious about this and ran across this video, pretty interesting

http://www.jimmybiggstv.com/yourway/Hol ... evelle.wmv

Phil sounds like it's a little lighter than you thought 3550 w/driver he said in the video, says it's a little over 900hp - which is pretty darn good for a 477.

MOKANRACER

#25 Post by MOKANRACER » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:39 pm

He said he was running 9.3,s something,not 8.80,s??On a 9.75 index?? Any way,nice ride,and awsome power on the mtr only.Yeah I heard him say 3550 with him in it.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#26 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:09 am

Phil - Get Scott over here and have him tell us a bit about this beast.. MOOSE don't forget those guys back east don't have to run in the shitty air we have around here and he's probably turning the crap out of that thing.

gearjammer

#27 Post by gearjammer » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:42 am

Beyond wrote:Phil - Get Scott over here and have him tell us a bit about this beast.. MOOSE don't forget those guys back east don't have to run in the shitty air we have around here and he's probably turning the crap out of that thing.
I will get more, but you guys are dangerous with a key board, this will be my last post on this board as nothing has been inflated. I guess only those of you in the middle of the US are the only ones that run well, to that I say come east on the 1st friday of each month to Milan dragway.

Here is the may 2006 new engine test results from Norwalk Dragway I received. John I will send you information via your email with regard to Scott but I will not subject him to being called a lier on this forum.

Bye John

again Ill contact you via email,

Guys,

All in all we had a really good day yesterday. There were only 25 cars there which meant no waiting in the staging lanes. A couple of guys must have made 25 runs, every time I looked up they were going down the track.

The combination of the added HP and the new tires was really giving me a fit. The car would leave good and once I got about 20 feet out it would shake the tires. This tire shake problem is very new to me, but after making small adjustments each run I believe I have a handle on it now. I think the biggest problem was that I wasn’t running enough air in the tires (more air pressure required for radial slicks).

Here is a run down of the runs:

1. Tires at 14lbs, timing retarted 4 degrees total and 2 more during the launch, tires shook really bad about 10 feet out, eased back into the throttle and ran in through to the 1/8 mile mark, no time, tree came down but the clock did not start.

2. Everything the same, tires shook really bad about 10 feet out, eased back into the throttle and ran in through, car felt really strong until about the 1000" mark and it nosed over a little, lifted and coasted through, I was figuring around a 10.00 pass, Mike pulled up on the scooter with a devilish smirk holding the time slip and said that that was the ugliest 9.50 he had ever seen. It ended up going a 9.500 @ 124.83 with a 1.67 60".

3. Tires at 16lbs, up 2 jet sizes in carb, and pulled 2.5 degrees more timing out during the launch, loosened up rear shocks, tires still shook but settled down quicker, better but still nosing over about 1000", Ran 9.45 @ 134.67 with a 1.53 60".

4. Tires at 16lbs, up 2 jet more sizes in carb, loosened shocks up a little more, timing same, tires shake still there but getting better, ran 9.41 @ 143.66 with a 1.44 60".

5. Made a drastic change with the tires to 20lbs, timing same, tires did not shake but I lifted for a split second about 15 feet out anticipating the tire shake and it never came, ran real good to about 100 feet before the lights and hit the rev limiter (rev limiter set up from last year for the .75 index). Ran a 5.85 @ 119 (best ever) in the 1/8 and 9.31 @ 146.98 with a 1.35 60".

6. Last pass, got greedy and put all the timing back in to make the last pass, tires same, bumped rev limiter up 300 RPMs, at the hit of the throttle the tires went up in smoke, lifted and eased back into the throttle to run a 11.12 @ 144 with a 2.12 60".

Turned out to be a very good test session! I learned a lot about these new tires.

There is definately more it since I had the timing retarded 8.5 degrees during the .31 run. Looks like I am heading out again this weekend to test some more.

Scott
Phil aka Gearjammer
JPR Racing
1972 Nova
Drag Radial

gearjammer

#28 Post by gearjammer » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:06 am

MOKANRACER, maybe you can read and understand the qualifying and eliminations ladder, if so you will see he races in the 9.50 index, if you look at the qualifying you will see him #2 with a 477.

John, Im sorry to be so blunt on your forum, it has nothing to do with you, I know Im an outsider and I will reamin that way.

Good luck John, Ill get the specs for YOU next week

Phil aka Gearjammer
JPR Racing
1972 Nova
Drag Radial

John_Heard
Site Admin

#29 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:43 am

Phil - this isn't a "local's only" forum, we've got guys here from all over the country. I know a lot of the guys are just not used to seeing something that small run that hard, makes it hard to believe. I'm frankly amazed at what the guys in NMCA Pro Stock run on the motor which is really the kind of combo it sounds like Scott has put together for an index class... or close to it. I hope you stick around and not let this discussion bother you.

Moose, think 18:1, very, very good cylinder heads, light weight everything and spinning it real fast.. I know it is still somewhat hard to believe, but there are a number of guys doing just that in NMCA Prostock.

MOKANRACER

Yep can read. Thanks for the data.

#30 Post by MOKANRACER » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:39 am

gearjammer wrote:MOKANRACER, maybe you can read and understand the qualifying and eliminations ladder, if so you will see he races in the 9.50 index, if you look at the qualifying you will see him #2 with a 477.

John, Im sorry to be so blunt on your forum, it has nothing to do with you, I know Im an outsider and I will reamin that way.

Good luck John, Ill get the specs for YOU next week

Appreciate you sharing the info. I,m new again to racing.I learned to read in 1946,that would be the (first-grade) for me. I raced back in 1957,than got the itch again last year,so have to be patient with my lack of knowledge.Roger AKA- MOKANRACER