Powder coating

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

Hitchcock

Powder coating

#1 Post by Hitchcock » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:15 pm

Does anyone here do it at home? I was trying to clean up the engine bay of the vette, and after a while I just decided it wont look like I want it to without some major work. I was wanting to but a parts washer and blast cabinet anyway. And I have a good compressor. The kits are pretty affordable, and ovens are a pletny around here. Any huge pitfulls that would keep one from doing it at home? I'm not looking for a show quality deal. But If the resources are that affordable, why not take advantage. What say Drag Stuff :scratch:
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

supernova

Re: Powder coating

#2 Post by supernova » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:48 pm

The powder coating process can be very time consuming and costly... I would find a powder coating shop close by and let the subject matter experts do what they do best......What you will spend gathering up what you need to powder coat with will cost you more than what it will cost you to have all your car's parts powder coated..... I have less than a $1000.00 in powder coating in my whole car......
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Hitchcock

#3 Post by Hitchcock » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:01 pm

There are places to do itaround here. For a grand, what all did you coat? I figured about 400.00-600.00 for all the crap I was talking about minus the powder itself. And then I have the oppertunity to make a litte cash from others here and there. Or just help out some buddies.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

supernova

#4 Post by supernova » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:14 pm

Hitchcock wrote:There are places to do it around here. For a grand, what all did you coat? I figured about 400.00-600.00 for all the crap I was talking about minus the powder itself. And then I have the oppertunity to make a litte cash from others here and there. Or just help out some buddies.
How about the oven to bake the powder coat on with, big enough for large parts. It has to get to 400* for an hour to cook the P/C on.... I had lots of thing done. The biggest was the sub frame. The smallest was the bumper brackets.

There are somethings that just doesn't pay to do yourself..... Powder coating is one of them in my book!

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

Hitchcock

#5 Post by Hitchcock » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:25 pm

If I do it, it will for only small stuff, like an intake, or A-arms, brackets and things like that. And I would just get a used kitchen oven. I would never even try it on a large scale. But like you said, cost to buy vs. pay someone else. And I only have a 2 car garage, so there is a lot of space to be consumed as well. It would be nice to have teh stuff to do it, but again, how often will I use it. Like I said, just rolling the Idea around.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

HPDRIFTER

#6 Post by HPDRIFTER » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:41 am

Hitch,
Try Performance Coatings + in Joplin: http://www.performancecoatingsplus.com/
I can't recommend anyone higher.
I think that Ralph and Kevin are sending something over this week. You might talk to them, also.

supernova

#7 Post by supernova » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:16 am

Hitchcock wrote:If I do it, it will for only small stuff, like an intake, or A-arms, brackets and things like that. And I would just get a used kitchen oven. I would never even try it on a large scale. But like you said, cost to buy vs. pay someone else. And I only have a 2 car garage, so there is a lot of space to be consumed as well. It would be nice to have teh stuff to do it, but again, how often will I use it. Like I said, just rolling the Idea around.
I thought about it also but came up with the idea that I don't have to do EVERYTHING on my car...... Sooooo I let the subject matter exports do that part. :thumb: :thumb:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

Bruce69Camaro

#8 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:19 am

Hey Hitch,

If you ever find yourself in need of an oven, I know a guy that builds ovens just for powdercoating.

I'll forward you his info if needed.

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

Dave Koehler

#9 Post by Dave Koehler » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:49 pm

I have one of those Eastwood Deals. Already had a electric oven free off of craigslist. It's not hard or expensive if you don't want to do it for a living. Making a living at it would require better equipment, more practice, yada, yada.

I powder coat things around the shop, some stuff for the wife, some stuff on the race car. The quality is good enough for my uses. It's not a case of whether I should send it to a pro but more a case of convenience. I have done enough stuff for myself to cover the initial investment. Like everything else. Cleanliness and preparation is the key to a decent finished piece.
Gathering up stuff now to teach myself anodizing this winter. Don't need to, just want to. Again for convenience.
Dave Koehler
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Master Software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know you are in a hurry"