BurnOuts!

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

79 Camaro

BurnOuts!

#1 Post by 79 Camaro » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:15 am

Hey guys

I have a few questions. I have watched a ton of racers do there burnouts. I was wondering why MOST racers like to spin there slicks IN the water box and then move forward to there burnout. I would think that this would throw water up in your fenders and then drop on your slicks before you launch.

I have a TH400 and the only tip that In have been given is to make sure that I am not in 2nd gear when I let loose of the line lock to roll out of the burnout. So I always make sure that I am in 3rd when I start rolling out.

Also I have seen alot of racers also do there burout to when they are rolling out and still smoking the tires they wait til the tires grab really hard. How hard is that on things? I realize that they want to make sure they are out of the water box and make sure there is no water left on the tires, but just thought I would get some other suggestions. Let me know your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you

Adam

jacobgiles

#2 Post by jacobgiles » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:11 am

i would like to hear more about this too. im wondering what i could improve on my burnout and what im doing wrong and if im going to kill my trans :oops:

CoMax Racing

Burn Outs

#3 Post by CoMax Racing » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:32 am

Keep in mind a lot of what I am going to say is "my opinion". Here goes. As far as where you start your burn out, I like to roll through the water and coat the tires then stop just past the box. I don't think the little amount of water in the box would drip off you fenders, but it is a theory. The reason you want to come out of the water in high gear is it puts the least amount of strain on the sprag in the tranny. I always advise people to do your burnout hard and fast, get into the throttle quick do a short burn and roll out of the water. You also should attempt to ease out of the throttle and not snap it closed this puts alot of strain on the sprag as well, so when you feel the tire start to grab ease out of the throttle under control. Some drivers like to do dry hops as well to clean the rubber off the tires but that is also personal preference.

I guess the biggest thing is choose a style of burnout and stick to it, get a routine.

I look forward to all the other answers to come.

Hope this helps

jacobgiles

#4 Post by jacobgiles » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:59 am

so if i have a th350 then i need to do my burnout in 3rd?

79 Camaro

#5 Post by 79 Camaro » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:37 am

From what I have been told..TH400's are the ones that are bad about the 2nd gear sprag going out. And I think that they mean, you dont have to start your burnout in 3rd(because I think that is pretty hard on your clutches and converter), but you want to make sure that you are in third before you let off your line lock and roll out of the burnout(I think).

Adam

CoMax Racing

Burnouts

#6 Post by CoMax Racing » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:26 pm

79 Camaro hit it right. You always want to come out of your burnout in high gear. This goes for all transmissions. I use a 3 spd Lenco in my car and Lenco says to finish your burnouts in high gear to avoid damaging the sprag. So even the strongest trannys can be damaged if you don't drive them right.

79 Camaro

#7 Post by 79 Camaro » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:15 pm

Anymore INPUTS :D ???

sc racing

#8 Post by sc racing » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:50 pm

I ran a th350 w/ TCI valve body and they gave instuctions on how they wanted the burnout done.I used to (I havent beeen to the track in a long tome) spin in the water,pull up out of the box use 1st gear just to get the rpm's up smoke the tires in 2nd shift into 3rd and roll off the throttle. Like CoMax Racing said its just my opinion but I think were all on the same page.Also in my opinion dry hops should never be done I think your "wasting" tire hook. Ive heard tire manufacturers recommend 3 second burnouts max after that your overheating the tire and wasting tread another thing if the white letters on your tires turn brown its an indication of overheating.Has anbody else heard that?

Squeeze

#9 Post by Squeeze » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:18 pm

I like to stick to a routine as well, just run thru' the water then start the burnout and when you feel the tires start to bite ease out and then I do do a dry hope,Ive found the if you over heat your tires this will peel off the snotty rubber and give you a good solid face to launch on.I run a turbo 400 and always get the same 0 to 60 times

BBNova

#10 Post by BBNova » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:47 pm

When I first pull into the water box I 'pop' the throttle and turn the tires over to coat them. Then roll out and start the burnout. I use the same routine as sc racing. I run a TH350 and use 1st gear just to initially get the tires spinning, burn through 2nd, and pull out of it in 3rd. I usually feel the tires get hot and start to grab. I have also heard to pull out of it in high gear to avoid tranny wear.
The only time I heard anything about water dripping off the fender is if you run a tire with tread. I used to run a street tire and was advised to drive around the water box. When I say street tire I don't mean a drag radial, I mean an actual full tread street tire. Don't know if that is true or not, but it makes sense to me.
I hadn't heard about the letters getting brown, but since I read that I looked and my 'Hoosier' is getting brown at the top. I am going to have to tone down the mosquito clearing burnouts..........maybe :smt077

CoMax Racing

Burnouts

#11 Post by CoMax Racing » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:11 pm

Actually, I had forgotten about it but I have also heard if the side wall lettering is getting brown you are doing to much burnout. I also seem to remember if the tread portion of the tire is taking on a scalloped look (rubber starting to peal) you are burning out to much. You start to create marbles of rubber on the tire that cause a loss in traction.

I also had forgotten that the dry hop concept is (or was) used more in the stick cars (clutch cars) to put some heat in the clutch before a run.

julven

#12 Post by julven » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:15 pm

I am by know means a pro but I have read and always been told to start your burn out in third if you have the motor to do it if not start in 2nd then to third on th350/400.I have blown alot of th350 up and it is always in 2nd gear and when I say Blown UP I mean can't be used again.So as for the burnout gears I strongly feel it should be done in 3rd if you can and I am not made of money but some clutches once a year isn't that bad compared to some hard parts and a converter flush or more.As for the tires I always try to spin my tires over then pull to the edge of the box and do my burn out then shut the line lock off and let the tire spin pull me out.Is this right, ??? I don't know but it always works fine for me.Jason

79 Camaro

#13 Post by 79 Camaro » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:12 pm

Thanks guys for all of your inputs. I have learned alot on this topic. But if there is anyone else that wants to suggest something then please do so. Thanks again

This is a burnout done by Brent Martin who is a former MAKO10.5 Racer as of last year. I really miss watching this car. He gets that motor singing in the burnout box. I have a ton of MAKO10.5 Vids from last year and a few from this year. Thought you guys might enjoy this vid. I have tried to be at all the MAKO races and I suggest you go to one if you live near Tulsa OK. Awesome Heads-up race and you can watch our local friend John Heard tear up the track at these races also :lol: . GO GET'EM JOHN!

Enjoy(I hope this link works :? )
http://media.putfile.com/BrentMartinBurnout

Adam Wright

John_Heard
Site Admin

#14 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:52 am

Good video Adam... The black bat is still in competition over in NMCA Xtreme Street, Tim Hendricks? bought it from Brent and is running it this year. It went on the bumper again at their last race..looks like that car is still up to it's old tricks LOL.

79 Camaro

#15 Post by 79 Camaro » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:25 am

Thats awesome!LOL :lol: . Glad to hear ol' Tim is keeping it real in the ol' Black Bird.