79 Firebird/ Trans Am

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

79 Firebird/ Trans Am

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:03 am

Anyone on here know about 79 Firebirds or Trans Am's?

My brother-in-law bought what he was told was a Trans Am and from what I've seen, it looks like it is just a Firebird with a TA hood and scoop. It looks like a fresh paint job and they applied the bird decal on the hood.
whomever had this car, really did a sell job because it has been nothing but a money pit and now, he's coming to me to do work on the car.

I think it has a 400 motor in it, but the tranny was changed from 4 speed to auto.

He wants to change the interior color from red to black. Did TA's come with red interior?

What things could I look for to tell me if this is a TA or just a clone?

Also, how hard is it to install a new dash pad in one of these cars?

Thanks

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

slightly tweeked

Re: 79 Firebird/ Trans Am

#2 Post by slightly tweeked » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Bruce69Camaro wrote:Anyone on here know about 79 Firebirds or Trans Am's?

My brother-in-law bought what he was told was a Trans Am and from what I've seen, it looks like it is just a Firebird with a TA hood and scoop. It looks like a fresh paint job and they applied the bird decal on the hood.
whomever had this car, really did a sell job because it has been nothing but a money pit and now, he's coming to me to do work on the car.

I think it has a 400 motor in it, but the tranny was changed from 4 speed to auto.

He wants to change the interior color from red to black. Did TA's come with red interior?

What things could I look for to tell me if this is a TA or just a clone?

Also, how hard is it to install a new dash pad in one of these cars?

Thanks

Bruce
Hey Bruce,Look up the vin number or call a local gm dealers parts dept and give them the vin.They can tell you sounds like it could be a formula firebird. :scratch:
72 Nova
548 cu in,900hp
Turbo 400
5600 stall
Ford 9in,457 gears
3640 lbs,all steel car.except hood.
Runs low 9s in 1/4.High 5s in 1/8.