Why is there a Lot of Muscle Car Bashing/ Dissing?

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

MXrider13

Why is there a Lot of Muscle Car Bashing/ Dissing?

#1 Post by MXrider13 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:46 pm

I may be only 19 but I always loved Muscle cars and Hot Rods, do to my Grandfather owning them and growing up in Florida near Garlits' Museum. Anyway it seems a lot on other car forums and where I live now there is a lot of Muscle Bashing. In my town there is a friend of my parents in his 40s who Drag Races a BMW M3 and he's always telling me how Muscle cars are slow, they are outdated, etc and when I show him the 7 second cars he always says "Those aren't muscle cars they are modified." Also at were I work at a car parts store, the manager who is in his 30s drag races a Lancer and hates Muscle Cars along with all of the other employees (I'm the only one who likes Muscle)...
Also my nearest Drag Strip during test and tune nights its mostly Imports and Mustangs rather than True Muscle cars who only come out for Index races and other events.
It seems on most other car forums people hate muscle cars as well.

For some reason I hear that modified Muscle Cars meant for drag racing don't count as muscle cars a lot which I'm starting to think is just some ricers excuse to try and say their cars are faster.

Whats with all of the Muscle Car Bashing and Dissing?

wikd69

Re: Why is there a Lot of Muscle Car Bashing/ Dissing?

#2 Post by wikd69 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:08 pm

My opinion:

I think its as simple as this: You like what you know, what you grew up with or what your peers are driving or bragging about. The idiots who turn those preferences into contentious back-and-forth dialogs are just that, idots. There's a lot to appreciate no matter what technology you prefer.

I like the look and technology of a lot of the stuff that’s coming out now. There is some really cool stuff on the market and some really cool stuff being done by the major manufacturers, both here and abroad. However, I would’nt trade my ride for any of the new cars. None of them provide what my Camaro does: hard core grunt, with all the obnxious smoke and noise and flames, etc. Most old school guys feel that way about their own rides I think.

However, even within the big iron crowd running 60's and 70's technology there is division. I run a roots blower and a lot of folks would'nt dream of putting effort into building something as old and obsolete as that. They would rather do turbos or centrifical superchargers or nitrous on top of their old iron blocks, rather than use the old style blower I'm running. I'm really into the old nostalgia stuff – my personal preference. One of these days I may get around to adopting EFI and a different type of power adder, but who knows ?
Last edited by wikd69 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

BracketNova

#3 Post by BracketNova » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:10 pm

In my experience...the only people who bash muscle cars are those who want one and don't have one, or, they own an import and are full of hot air - saying there car is faster...but wanting to take a whole mile to prove it :smt089

To each their own.
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

Hitchcock

#4 Post by Hitchcock » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:27 pm

Next time they say muscle cars are not fast, get on you tube and go to the pure stock drags channel. And ask them how many of the muscle cars they can out quarter mile.

But as Harry said, its a preference thing. At least you have good taste. :thumb:
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

chpcamaro

#5 Post by chpcamaro » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:44 pm

wikd69 wrote:My opinion:

I think its as simple as this: You like what you know, what you grew up with or what your peers are driving or bragging about. The idiots who turn those preferences into contentious back-and-forth dialogs are just that, idots. There's a lot to appreciate no matter what technology you prefer.

I like the look and technology of a lot of the stuff that’s coming out now. There is some really cool stuff on the market and some really cool stuff being done by the major manufacturers, both here and abroad. However, I would’nt trade my ride for any of the new cars. None of them provide what my Camaro does: hard core grunt, with all the obnxious smoke and noise and flames, etc. Most old school guys feel that way about their own rides I think.

However, even within the big iron crowd running 60's and 70's technology there is division. I run a roots blower and a lot of folks would'nt dream of putting effort into building something as old and obsolete as that. They would rather do turbos or centrifical superchargers or nitrous on top of their old iron blocks, rather than use the old style blower I'm running. I'm really into the old nostalgia stuff – my personal preference. One of these days I may get around to adopting EFI and a different type of power adder, but who knows ?
BracketNova wrote:In my experience...the only people who bash muscle cars are those who want one and don't have one, or, they own an import and are full of hot air - saying there car is faster...but wanting to take a whole mile to prove it :smt089
To each their own.

i agree we both above and as hitch has said tell the guy with the beamer to come to the track and we can make a pass side by side and then ask him why we own muscle cars and i bet before you know it he is out looking for one or he trys to build his beamer to the point it only breaks down all the time :smt003
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

MXrider13

#7 Post by MXrider13 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:37 pm

chpcamaro wrote:

i agree we both above and as hitch has said tell the guy with the beamer to come to the track and we can make a pass side by side and then ask him why we own muscle cars and i bet before you know it he is out looking for one or he trys to build his beamer to the point it only breaks down all the time :smt003
Even though his Beamer is fast (it runs in the 10s) but he does work on it a lot and something is always breaking in it.

MXrider13

#8 Post by MXrider13 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:41 pm

wikd69 wrote:My opinion:

I got nothing against preference (though I would prefer to see more people I know into muscle and Hot Rods) but it gets kind of annoying hearing "muscle sucks" or "muscle cars are outdated and old" at work everyday... Can't wait till I finish college just above min sucks.
Anyway I can't wait till my S10 is done and maybe that will get them to shut up

MXrider13

#9 Post by MXrider13 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:43 pm

Hitchcock wrote:Next time they say muscle cars are not fast, get on you tube and go to the pure stock drags channel. And ask them how many of the muscle cars they can out quarter mile.

But as Harry said, its a preference thing. At least you have good taste. :thumb:
Thanks I tired showing the beamer owner Larry Larson's Nova (hey is he a member here?) but he said that it was a "pro stock car" and "Pro stock isn't muscle..." Though its more of a Pro Street car on Steroids
Ill show him those.

Hitchcock

#10 Post by Hitchcock » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:28 pm

I know those cars arent running 10s. But mid 11s on stock 40 year old tech. Is pretty bad ass. How many stock bmw will go undet 14 flat.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

wikd69

#11 Post by wikd69 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:40 am

Here’s more of my perspective from the peanut section:

It's all in what you grew up with or developed an interest around. Wanting to try something different, starting back around 1979 I spent time dinking with Conference and SCCA road racing, at one time owning a little Datsun 510. At that point in time that was the killer road course car for the homegrown road race fanatic. That crowd, the road race guys, would haul out to the track and set up in the 'paddock' (they don't call it 'the pits') and would 'contend', not 'race'. Most of them looked at drag racers as greasy, mouth breathing knuckle-draggers <shrug>. Again, it's all in what you focus on. After not too many years I got tired of the inward focused and highly political road racing crowd and got back into the big iron stuff, big horsepower and drag racing.

And some history, again from my perspective:

In the late 60's and early 70's it was traction bars, air shocks, big tires, big tachs, headers with glasspaks and 4 speeds. Everybody watched and wanted to emulate the ProStock drag racers with their body-in-white factory late model race car builds. I worked for a guy who bought a brand new 69 Charger and stripped it so that he could acid dip the body to save weight. He said his wife almost divorced him over it and the frigging thing was so limber they could'nt keep glass in it for long. But, it was fast LOL.

The ProStock campaigns drove the evolution of the ProStreet thing in the late 70's and 80's. Later on, in the 90's and beyond, ProTouring took off with a lot of folks. Nowadays the hot ticket with old American iron is the G-Machine - lots of horsepower from late technology EFI systems and high-efficiency power adders, blowers and turbos, all combined with hard core suspension and chassis makeovers, designed for high lateral G road course and auto cross stuff.

Over time, fuel prices and laws also forced manufacturers to become more fuel efficient and drove the evolution of electronic engine management systems and a whole lot of other related technology. Out of that came the aftermarket performance ignition and EFI management systems. Now you can buy EFI in a box and combine it with all sorts of power adders and engine combos to make really big reliable and fuel efficient horsepower. What used to be ultra-exotic is now on the other end of a checkbook. Who knew ?

Like I said, theres lot of really cool stuff out there. Pick something you like and dive in. Ignore the idiots who pass judgement on your hobby or interest. For every guy who is actually doing someting, there are 50,000 wannabe benchracers out there, each with an opinion or critique on whatever it is you're doing.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

Hitchcock

#12 Post by Hitchcock » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:02 am

Bravo harry :thumb: :thumb:
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

John_Heard
Site Admin

#13 Post by John_Heard » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:32 am

Mega Budget Deficits, Cats and Dogs living together, Hating Muscle Cars, what is the world coming too?

Not worth your time trying to convince the import owners that they are retarded, just keep on doing your thing and enjoy it. Maybe some of them will see the light eventually.

At least your BMW loving Friend didn't try to argue that Larson's car "isn't a street car" lol...

MXrider13

#14 Post by MXrider13 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:07 am

wikd69 wrote:Here’s more of my perspective from the peanut section:

It's all in what you grew up with or developed an interest around. Wanting to try something different, starting back around 1979 I spent time dinking with Conference and SCCA road racing, at one time owning a little Datsun 510. At that point in time that was the killer road course car for the homegrown road race fanatic. That crowd, the road race guys, would haul out to the track and set up in the 'paddock' (they don't call it 'the pits') and would 'contend', not 'race'. Most of them looked at drag racers as greasy, mouth breathing knuckle-draggers <shrug>. Again, it's all in what you focus on. After not too many years I got tired of the inward focused and highly political road racing crowd and got back into the big iron stuff, big horsepower and drag racing.

And some history, again from my perspective:

In the late 60's and early 70's it was traction bars, air shocks, big tires, big tachs, headers with glasspaks and 4 speeds. Everybody watched and wanted to emulate the ProStock drag racers with their body-in-white factory late model race car builds. I worked for a guy who bought a brand new 69 Charger and stripped it so that he could acid dip the body to save weight. He said his wife almost divorced him over it and the frigging thing was so limber they could'nt keep glass in it for long. But, it was fast LOL.

The ProStock campaigns drove the evolution of the ProStreet thing in the late 70's and 80's. Later on, in the 90's and beyond, ProTouring took off with a lot of folks. Nowadays the hot ticket with old American iron is the G-Machine - lots of horsepower from late technology EFI systems and high-efficiency power adders, blowers and turbos, all combined with hard core suspension and chassis makeovers, designed for high lateral G road course and auto cross stuff.

Over time, fuel prices and laws also forced manufacturers to become more fuel efficient and drove the evolution of electronic engine management systems and a whole lot of other related technology. Out of that came the aftermarket performance ignition and EFI management systems. Now you can buy EFI in a box and combine it with all sorts of power adders and engine combos to make really big reliable and fuel efficient horsepower. What used to be ultra-exotic is now on the other end of a checkbook. Who knew ?

Like I said, theres lot of really cool stuff out there. Pick something you like and dive in. Ignore the idiots who pass judgement on your hobby or interest. For every guy who is actually doing someting, there are 50,000 wannabe benchracers out there, each with an opinion or critique on whatever it is you're doing.
DAMN! You have a lot of great stories! I always loved the Pro Street Look to the cars I remember in the late 90s going to the car shows with Grandfather and over half the cars were blown, had large Drag tires with full body flame paint jobs, I always loved the look.
There are a lot of bench racers out there.

OH btw I love your Camaro!

MXrider13

#15 Post by MXrider13 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:11 am

John_Heard wrote:Mega Budget Deficits, Cats and Dogs living together, Hating Muscle Cars, what is the world coming too?

Not worth your time trying to convince the import owners that they are retarded, just keep on doing your thing and enjoy it. Maybe some of them will see the light eventually.

At least your BMW loving Friend didn't try to argue that Larson's car "isn't a street car" lol...
Thats true he never did say it wasn't a Street car.