Are Pro Street Cars the Modern Gassers?

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

MXrider13

Are Pro Street Cars the Modern Gassers?

#1 Post by MXrider13 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:15 pm

What do you think are the Pro Street Cars the modern Gassers?
http://kustomsandchoppersmagazine.com/2 ... n-gassers/

apacheracing

Re: Are Pro Street Cars the Modern Gassers?

#2 Post by apacheracing » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:58 pm

NO, There is no progressiom in to Gasser status. A gasser is a gasser. And pro street is Pro Street no matter what year the car is. If you straight axle an 80 Malibu just right, raise the front, leaf spring the rear, put in an old big block 427 with a tunnel ram and fender well exit headers it will be a Gasser. But if you tub and fat tire the same car, what do you have? Not a Gasser

MXrider13

#3 Post by MXrider13 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:38 am

Sorry I should of specified more, I meant Pro Street as in the NMCA style Pro Street that is a pump gas class that is still street legal though they are competitive race cars similar to the Gas classes of the 60s.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:05 am

NMCA Pro Street is certainly not a pump gas class, and they're nothing at all similar to Gassers? That article makes no sense.

MXrider13

#5 Post by MXrider13 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:42 am

John_Heard wrote:NMCA Pro Street is certainly not a pump gas class, and they're nothing at all similar to Gassers? That article makes no sense.
I think what was trying to be said is that the NMCA Pro Street is an all out race class that happens to use Street Legal Cars, much like the Gassers where. Sure the mods are different, but its a similar concept.

I thought in the NMCA Pro Street used Pump Gas, unless Gasoline just means any gas, cause all the rulebook on the site says is this:
"Gasoline as outlined here is the only acceptable fuel for use in this eliminator."

wikd69

#6 Post by wikd69 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 am

MXrider13 wrote: "Gasoline as outlined here is the only acceptable fuel for use in this eliminator."
I would think they meant as opposed to alcohol or nitro-methane.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:53 am

NMCA Pro Street = Top Fuel back in the 50's & 60's, not gassers.

apacheracing

#8 Post by apacheracing » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:06 pm

As you can tell, I didnt understand it either.

Hitchcock

#9 Post by Hitchcock » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:33 pm

When I hear "Pro Street" I always think of the car show crowd. They say crap like...

"Well, I have never ran it down the track but a buddy of mine has a set up similar to mine and his runs tens"
A sthey are touting thier "10 sec" ride. Those guys are almost as bad as ricers. God I hate car shows.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

Carolina Kid

#10 Post by Carolina Kid » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:57 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

wikd69

#11 Post by wikd69 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:54 am

Hitchcock wrote:When I hear "Pro Street" I always think of the car show crowd. They say crap like...

"Well, I have never ran it down the track but a buddy of mine has a set up similar to mine and his runs tens"
A sthey are touting thier "10 sec" ride. Those guys are almost as bad as ricers. God I hate car shows.
Hitch, my Camaro is a ProStreet ride. :mrgreen:

Hitchcock

#12 Post by Hitchcock » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:22 am

wikd69 wrote:
Hitchcock wrote:When I hear "Pro Street" I always think of the car show crowd. They say crap like...

But it also runs nines. And before that, it actually ran in the tens. :smt002 Not, my friend has one like it and it runs in the blah blah blah. :smt003 Sorry, somewhere along the way I got way bored at car shows. The pits at the track are the best car shows to go to. :thumb:
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

wikd69

#13 Post by wikd69 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Hitchcock wrote:
wikd69 wrote:

But it also runs nines. And before that, it actually ran in the tens. :smt002 Not, my friend has one like it and it runs in the blah blah blah. :smt003 Sorry, somewhere along the way I got way bored at car shows. The pits at the track are the best car shows to go to. :thumb:
I understand - car shows are like still-life galleries with loud mobile art. Most of the guys at the car shows don't really get what it takes to consistently turn fast ET's at the track. It's not their fault - you have to actually go down that path to actually "get it". Just owning a blower motor or back-half car doesn’t do it.

However, having been there myself, I will tell you that everybody going to car shows to look at all that 'loud mobile art' asks the same question - "What does it turn on the track ?". Somebody who just wrote a very large check to buy that pretty toy doesn't want to admit (or doesn't realize) the ride would not survive long on the track. Given that, they're left with providing the standard response, having to compare their build with something that *has* been on the track. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it must *be* a duck, etc., ad nauseum. Most of those guys literally don’t know any better. Writing them off and throwing rocks at them just doesn’t seem fair to me. Of course, there are the dickweeds in that group who are full of themselves because they have something with lots of chrome and a lumpy idle – those folks I would cheerfully throw under the bus all day long.

Just my 2 cents…

chpcamaro

#14 Post by chpcamaro » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:52 pm

i think it is like crotch rockets compared to harleys :?: :| both have there own place but can dewl in the same place
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com