Steering Wheel Cord for Trans Brake

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

Steering Wheel Cord for Trans Brake

#1 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Going to try going back to a steering wheel mounted trans brake button again. Last time I got irked with the cord getting strung up in the column all the time, but I was using a funky cable that wasn't very stretchy on a stock column with turn signal, etc. Now that I'm rid of that heavy stock column, I'm hoping it'll work better.

Anyone know which cables work best? I assume Biondo or someone carries them, just looking for a recommendation on what works good before I try it again...

Dave Yonemura

Re: Steering Wheel Cord for Trans Brake

#2 Post by Dave Yonemura » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:50 pm

I've used pigtail cords from old hair driers and curling irons! One on the bump down button is even PINK!

a1elec

#3 Post by a1elec » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:14 pm

john i used the jegs button and cord. i made a small loop at the button and cable tied it to wheel. this way cord can wind up on column and not pull on switch. john

chpcamaro

#4 Post by chpcamaro » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:37 pm

hey john how tricky would you be willing to get here is what we have done in the pass and i use on my car but i still have the stock colume but we have done this for the after market shafts with with removable steering wheel here is a quick drawing so you get a rough idea if you like it i can give you a full detailed info with where to get all the parts now this just a really basic drawing doing this there is no coil cord to tangle around the wheel and removing the wheel doesn't interfer with the wiring for the button anymore now remember this is a ground activated switch but thats no big deal sense it will go through a relay which is not shown in the picture and if you are using the colume with the think teflon sleeve it is even easyier to do
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:17 pm

That's an interesting idea, kinda like a horn button more or less. It's a bit late on that, column is all done etc.

I've used a microphone cord in the past. That worked so-so but not great. I'd like to find one like came with my shifter from precision performance. That one is nice and stretchy.

I don't want to do the Jeg's cord and combo button, I have my favorite trans brake button already mounted up, it's one of those microswitch deals with a very short throw.

HPDRIFTER

#6 Post by HPDRIFTER » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:44 pm

Jeg's has the coil cables in their catalog. They're heavy and ackward, but functional.
I bought a couple coiled chords at the Yard Store in Wichita that had a taper binding
plastic nut on them. Then I put the nuts on abracket inside the dash, nest to the
steering column. (I've got one for the trans brake and an extra for a push button shift option.)
I could pick you up one (or however many you need) the next time I'm down town.

camaroman9

#7 Post by camaroman9 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:50 pm

John, i used one of the tci button/cord assemblies on my wheel and it seems to work fine. I have a spare jegs brand one that i bought, but didnt use because it was too bulky.
C&S carbureted 388 SBC, PT106, TH400, e85
http://www.timsbodyandglass.com
Special thanks to:
Bentune Performance & Fabrication (417)483-5584
Performance Coatings + (417)439-0546
C&R Transmission (417)736-2191

chpcamaro

#8 Post by chpcamaro » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:46 pm

hey john it can be done with these colume also i wasn't sure if i explained right not just stock style columes
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CEE-5074/?rtype=10
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

apacheracing

#9 Post by apacheracing » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:24 am

I use the TCI setup, but I also wired in a momentary on push button switct, it kinda looks like a small dimmer switch, on the floor to actavite reverse with my foot so I can use both hands to back up. It works very well but I dont use to launch.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#10 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:50 am

Rob - Yeah I get the general idea and it's a good one. Not sure if it would work for what I'm doing using the ground to activate, I'll have to think about that one a bit.

Apache good idea on the foot pushbutton, that is kinda a pain to back up with them on the wheel.

Robert -hey if you want to throw that one you have in the truck with you tonight I might be interested in it and could check it out at MoKan. Not sure if it'll work or not, it's got to be pretty stretchy to reach my hook for the steering wheel though.

HPDrifter - I'm going to be in Wichita Sat, I might swing by the Yard store and look. Man it's been forever since I was in that place, I'd like to go sniff around there at bit.

Mike Peters

#11 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:12 am

John, where are you mounting your line lock button? Jeg's offer a 3 wire stretch cord that could be used for 2 buttons. You can purchase the cord by itself or buy a 2 wire cord with 18 ga wire if you have the line lock mounted in a different favorite spot. No need to buy the button/cord combo. Cord can be purchased separately.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

John_Heard
Site Admin

#12 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:41 am

My line lock is on the shifter.

I'm aware a lot of companies sell the cords, I'm just trying to find one this is nice and stretchy. My steering wheel hook is mounted off the funny car cage area, so it needs to be able to stretch out good.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#13 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:12 pm

Did a little research on these things today, I think I'm gonna roll with the Dedenbear 14ga cord they sell, has less voltage drop than the 18ga cables most sell and it's supposed to be able to stretch 10'.

HPDRIFTER

#14 Post by HPDRIFTER » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:59 pm

"HPDrifter - I'm going to be in Wichita Sat, I might swing by the Yard store and look. Man it's been forever since I was in that place, I'd like to go sniff around there at bit"

If you go - in the main building, walk past the checkout area and about half way to the west side of the building. Turn right and walk to the north end of the shelves. The cords, some with the clamps I mentioned are in a short cardboard barrel at the north end on one of the rows. $.75 each if I remember correctly. The clamp alone is worth that; but the cords have four very small wires for a microphone or something. No heavy enough for a trans brake solenoid.

a1elec

#15 Post by a1elec » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:59 pm

i have line lock on steering wheel and trans brake on shifter