Getting more Teens into Drag Racing and Hot Rodding

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

MXrider13

Getting more Teens into Drag Racing and Hot Rodding

#1 Post by MXrider13 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:03 pm

As someone who is 19, and I have been into drag racing and hot rods since I was in middle school I have always wondered why the NHRA, IHRA, NMCA, etc is not starting programs to try to get high school teens more into drag racing. Sure there are a few that are here and there but not a lot like how it was in my grandfathers day in the 50s or for those in the 60s and my dad in the 70s where most high school guys had a car and drag raced. Theres a small import group (most of my generation sadly likes imports) but they only want to street race...
I've tried contacting the NHRA, IHRA, and the NMCA about this all with no luck (I can even get anyone to talk too just either I get put on hold or told to call back later or get sent to a full mailbox :pissed:)!
I have also always wondered why haven't Hot Rod Magazine or Car Craft, or any of the other Rod Magazines ever done anything in the last 10 years geared towards getting kids in teens into Hot Rodding? There are affordable cars out there that can be made into modern hot rods like the Chevy S10, the Chevy 1500 trucks, the 80s Monte Carlos and Malibu's, the 80's and 90s T-birds, the Dodge Mirrada's, the Aspen's etc. Yet it seems like no one has made an effort to even get teens into Hot Rodding or Drag Racing and I have always wondered why this is.
What do you think should be done about this?

Dave Yonemura

Re: Getting more Teens into Drag Racing and Hot Rodding

#2 Post by Dave Yonemura » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:43 am

IHRA has a teen racing program. It's a 1/8 mile, 13-16 year olds drive with Mom or Dad riding shotgun!

Blade

Re: Getting more Teens into Drag Racing and Hot Rodding

#3 Post by Blade » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:54 pm

There are some high school around the nation that have a class building cars.
1967 Camaro

Hey I gotta 9 sec car, in the 8th! lol

Jegs
Mike Curley Racing
Capital Raceway
Maryland International Raceway