Wide slicks under new cars

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

StayClassy

Wide slicks under new cars

#1 Post by StayClassy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:13 pm

Here's a question I've wondered for a long time. Tube frame or not, how on earth do you guys get such deep and wide wheels on the rear end of the car, shortened axles or what? I'm planning on being weird and building a late model drag car if I can find a car I want for cheap enough. :scratch:

StayClassy

Re: Wide slicks under new cars

#2 Post by StayClassy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:36 pm

Another thing, once you have the transmission tunnel taken care of, how hard is it to convert a front wheel drive car to a rear wheel drive car?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Most cars have the rear end narrowed, and in many cases with big tires that requires either a mini-tub or fully replacing the wheel tubes for the larger width. Converting a front wheel drive car to rear isn't likely going to be a bolt on affair. #1 thing you might think about is how many aftermarket parts are available for it. Not to discourage you from building something different, but there are a lot of parts made for Camaros, Chevelles, Novas, Mustangs, etc. that save a lot of fabrication time.

In general converting one over will be a major project. Another thing to consider if you want to race this car in an shootout or heads up type series, most do not allow that kind of car. They typically need to be based on rear wheel drive models.

StayClassy

#4 Post by StayClassy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:04 pm

Hmmmm, so then I guess my best bet, if I did wanna do something different would be to find a 4 wheel drive car and convert it to rearwheel, since it'd be quite a bit easier in general and would already be essentially set up for RWD. By the way, I'm going to school for restorations and customs, so fabricating parts wouldn't probably be terribly hard to do.