Drag Racing Classes (San Antonio Dragway)

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

MustangJR

Drag Racing Classes (San Antonio Dragway)

#1 Post by MustangJR » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:23 pm

I'm interested in getting into drag racing, I live in Austin, Tx and the closest dragway is San Antonio. I want to either build or buy a drag car but was curious if anyone could give me some pointers on the different car classes in the IHRA world (I'm pretty sure SA dragway is IHRA). I'm interested in a 60's Mustang (I own a 66 Mustang that is street driven).

Thanks
MustangJR

ponybabe

Re: Drag Racing Classes (San Antonio Dragway)

#2 Post by ponybabe » Tue May 01, 2012 4:46 pm

The classes they run normally are 1/4 mile. Footbrake or Non-electronics is just that...no electronics of any kind allowed. You leave off the old foot brake. Any street car can usually run in that considering it's a bracket class. Then there is electronics - where you can pretty much run just about anything - I do think there is a cut off on the ET though. They are an IHRA track.

They also run some index classes - which allow pretty much anything as long as you are legal to run that fast. I'm from Austin as well, we run at Little River in Holland (about an hour twenty from us). I am running a true 10.5 race there called the Rumble at the River - heads up 1/8 mile. They also run brackets - IHRA track as well.

As for buying or building - that is up to you. You would probably do better to buy something turnkey and then just go racing or build it if you are not in a hurry. Racing Junk has many many options for you - I had a friend who was selling his car #2503782 on Racing Junk.
- Michele -
Allies Automotive
Rumble at the River Sponsor

MustangJR

Re: Drag Racing Classes (San Antonio Dragway)

#3 Post by MustangJR » Thu May 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Thanks for the info

MustangJR