nova

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

a1elec

nova

#1 Post by a1elec » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:46 pm

ok nova guys i finnally bought a nova. gonna pull motor out of bu. nova has a glide in it. i want to run turbo400 what needs to be done with trans crossmember? and does anyone make replacement front inner fender wells? thanks for the help john :D

DriveWFO

#2 Post by DriveWFO » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:44 pm

Take a look near the botom of the page: http://www.2quicknovas.com/tranny.html

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:34 am

Bah... Inner fenderwells just add weight!

Beware of aftermarket TH400 crossmembers, many that I've heard of over the few years have to be reworked to fit right (center mount). They are making them reproduction now, the same crossmember works for the 68-74 Nova as the 1st Gen Camaros. Maybe by now they have them fixed. Nothing serious but I had to cut the mount off of mine and reweld it about 1/2" over to one side. Dang Chinese don't know how to read a tape measure I guess.

julven

#4 Post by julven » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:42 am

Go to your GM dealer for the crossmember they can still get them I got one for a 68 Camaro a few months back.We never run inner fenders but have read some thing on turbulance with out them so on my Dad's car we got a set of fiberglass ones from glasstek and they fit nicely but his is a street car mostly.I am thinking about ordering some for my nova. What do you think about the turbulance thing John?

ytnova

#5 Post by ytnova » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:02 am

Damn, I thought I was the only one who got one of those miss welded crossmembers. I bought it direct from gm(chevy dealer) and it too was off, I thought I was seeing things. I just cut the mount off and moved it over also.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#6 Post by John_Heard » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:03 am

I would only be guessing on the turbulance thing, I have no measurements to prove pro/con either way but I do like having those fenderwells out of the way. It would be an interesting thing to learn more about. Anyone have a wind tunnel we can borrow???

sverbus

#7 Post by sverbus » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:12 am

Actually saw a show on I think American Muscle or something like that where they did that Project Nova (the black, tubbed 69) and it had no fenderwells. They took it to the strip to test and for some reason it was always leaning out and laying over at the top of the track.

Some big influencial person was there to help them test it and he found the problem right away. The turbulance under the hood was actually robbing the air from the carb and causing the fuel to do strange things. At high mph he said it can pull the fuel right out the top of the carb.

They put a air pan on to seeal it to the cowl hood and the car went like a mad man down the 1320. They also fabbed up some semi-fenderwells as well as the air pan to help with turbulance.

...just my two bits :)

Scott
'70 Nova
434 small block
Best so far of 10.51 @ 131mph with a best so far 60' /1.46

John_Heard
Site Admin

#8 Post by John_Heard » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:22 am

I've seen cars running 169 mph with no inner fenderwells without a 'leanout" issue. I don't really buy into that Project Nova excuse. Not that what they did didn't fix a problem, but I don't think you can generically say all cars with no fenderwells are going to see a problem like that. If that was the case, every Nova and Camaro you see at the races would be running them.

race9899

#9 Post by race9899 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:54 am

They are supposed to help with the Aerodynamics of the car at high speed

ProStockers run them even with the one piece frontends.

julven

#10 Post by julven » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:13 am

I am with you John on not having them in the way.I don't seem to have any problem from not having them but I am wanting to try a set of fiberglass ones and a air pan.I was also reading in Carcraft about putting somthing behind the grill and this guys nova always picked up a 2 mph.I am just wanting to play with this and see if any of it helps.Jason

CoMax Racing

Inner Wheel Tubs

#11 Post by CoMax Racing » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:45 am

Ya, I saw the same show not long ago. It was Hot Rod Television, the person who found the probllem was Roy Hill at his drag school. He does make a good point, without the fenderwells they said with the turbulance at the top end I has a tendency to pull fuel from the bowls and lean the motor out.

79 Camaro

#12 Post by 79 Camaro » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:01 am

Is that only suppose to be a problem with cars that have a Cowl Hood and no fender wells??? Or any type of hood?

Thanks
Adam

DriveWFO

#13 Post by DriveWFO » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:49 am

julven wrote:I am with you John on not having them in the way.I don't seem to have any problem from not having them but I am wanting to try a set of fiberglass ones and a air pan.I was also reading in Carcraft about putting somthing behind the grill and this guys nova always picked up a 2 mph.I am just wanting to play with this and see if any of it helps.Jason
Artis Houston uses a piece of plexiglass to cover his grill on his Nova. It was good for a few more mph.

CoMax Racing

Inner Fenders

#14 Post by CoMax Racing » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:45 pm

I would say the fuel control problem would be with cars that have a scoop with no pan to seal it to the hood or more factory set ups.If you have your carbs above the hood this would probably not be as much of a problem.

julven

#15 Post by julven » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:06 pm

Do you guys run air cleaners and do you think a air filter would help with stablizing the air? I have been going to try running with out.I have been running a 5-6" tall filter with a K&N filter top wich gets up in the cowl hood.