Winter Upgrades....

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

Message
Author
User avatar
ytnova
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:21 am
Location: orlando, florida/ under a hood
Contact:

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#16 Post by ytnova » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:11 pm

John, you might try marine crankshaft in cali and see what he has to say. I have a LA Billet in my BBC and was refered to them by LA Billet for a rod journal repair due to mine being damaged when I bought it, it was a used crank. He repairs most of the fueler cranks and also fixes alot of other manufacturers cranks that are damaged or improperly machined when being manufactured, he might have some valuable insight and was very helpful to me when I was questioning whether mine was a paper weight or a useful item.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

User avatar
1320quick
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:51 pm
Location: Denver Co

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#17 Post by 1320quick » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:30 pm

Not really any big updates to my Nova, just repairing damage from our huge wheel stand at SCSN in November.

Image

At a minimum, it broke the transmission case and killed the headers. Got an appointment at a local chassis shop to have them tie in the SRC upper strut bars to the main cage instead of bolting the firewall. He is also going to build a set of fender exit headers for the car. I am thinking about converting my T400 into a Turboglide or at least change it so I can launch off the TB in second gear. I can't find anyone local that knows anything about the Turboglide or second gear launch so I will be calling Mark and M&M Transmissions to see what he has to say about them.

Planning more weight savings again this year. I took 130lbs out of the car last year but it was still 3300lbs. Going to try a glass decklid and lightweight steering column. Hoping those two things, eliminating the stock T400 transmission crossmember, the exhaust pipes and mufflers along with the driver losing another 20-30lbs I can get it down another 100lbs this year.
Ron
71 Nova - 3300lbs, stock suspended on a 275
5.35 132MPH in the thin Colorado air

User avatar
John_Heard
Site Admin
Posts: 5683
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 11:20 am
Location: Resume Speed, Kansas
Contact:

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#18 Post by John_Heard » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:52 pm

Cool pic, too bad it broke shit. How did you guys run at SCSN? I didn't get to watch that race.

User avatar
1320quick
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:51 pm
Location: Denver Co

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#19 Post by 1320quick » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:59 pm

John_Heard wrote:Cool pic, too bad it broke shit. How did you guys run at SCSN? I didn't get to watch that race.
It is a great picture, thanks to Steve Carlton for his great pics.

I was certainly not our best weekend. Had a leak in the fuel cell outlet when we unloaded the car. After pulling the cell and getting that all fixed up, we had a fuel line from the regulator to the carb that was leaking. It was an old line and started leaking in the middle of the line. :scratch: After we replace that and got the car running we tried to make a hit in the T & T session. The car would not do a burn out or go on the brake. It left at an idle, ran a 1.43 60' and went 5.33 @135 which was our personal best. Not terrible considering the 60 was 2 tenths off but it was certainly not right. I thought the transmission was hurt at that point but I was not sure. After looking at the data and talking to some friends, we decided that it was lean. I put 2 numbers of main jet in it and 1/2 pound of NOS pressure for Q1. The burnout was still not right but it did come up on the converter. Then it did that big wheel stand for Q1 so that ended our weekend early. That was our first ever bumper dragging wheel stand and I just didn't have any experience with that so I was not able to set it down gracefully. Another in a long string of learning experiences last season.

Still had a great time hanging out with my racing buddies from the west coast I don't get to see too often. Lover watching heads up racing so it was a great race to spectate. Wild street is really fast. There were 3 cars in the 4.5x zone. No way we can ever run with those guys so we have considered trying to run OL 8.5 next year to see if we can be more competitive.
Ron
71 Nova - 3300lbs, stock suspended on a 275
5.35 132MPH in the thin Colorado air

waterdog
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:01 am
Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#20 Post by waterdog » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Very cool photo for sure, sucks about the damage. I've got a bunch of stuff I want to do, but I've got a race coming up in 3 weeks.
1970 Nova SS 3580lb, Shafiroff 434 na, 9.94@135.8

User avatar
1320quick
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:51 pm
Location: Denver Co

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#21 Post by 1320quick » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:51 am

waterdog wrote:Very cool photo for sure, sucks about the damage. I've got a bunch of stuff I want to do, but I've got a race coming up in 3 weeks.
You are clearly no a Colorado racer. Lol. I'd love to live in FL so we could race during the winter. Do you ever run across Paul Klyczek down there. I believe that PK is close to Tampa. Good luck in your upcoming race. What class do you run?
Ron
71 Nova - 3300lbs, stock suspended on a 275
5.35 132MPH in the thin Colorado air

waterdog
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:01 am
Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#22 Post by waterdog » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanx Ron, I don't know Paul, but you never know who you'll run into. I have jumped into the 6.50 index stuff and am finding it a little challenging. My Nova is basically a street car with a race motor in it, I need to change some things to help me with the 4/10 tree. We've got 4 tracks with in a 2 hour drive, but we stick to Bradenton or Orlando. There is a bunch going on til summer, thats when its our off season. Walt
1970 Nova SS 3580lb, Shafiroff 434 na, 9.94@135.8

User avatar
Bruce69Camaro
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:07 am
Location: PA

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#23 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:00 pm

Well, I made some progress over my Christmas vacation of 2 weeks, I got the PG rebuilt with better parts and a brake, a new SFI flex plate, new locking tranny tube, rewired the car and added the 2 step, and now, Ray is dropping off some Strange SA coilovers with 130 springs.
I'm going to fire it up soon (once it gets about 32F) and see if PTC gave me the 5000 stall they claimed to have given me.
Also put on a evacuation system due to the oil blow bye.
Only thing yet to be done is install a new fuel pressure regulator on the NOS system.
Not going to have any earth shattering runs, but I'm really hoping for some 10's this year if all goes right.
That's it for now.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

User avatar
wikd69
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:42 pm
Location: Rocklin, CA
Contact:

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#24 Post by wikd69 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:40 pm

Bruce69Camaro wrote:Well, I made some progress over my Christmas vacation of 2 weeks, I got the PG rebuilt with better parts and a brake, a new SFI flex plate, new locking tranny tube, rewired the car and added the 2 step, and now, Ray is dropping off some Strange SA coilovers with 130 springs.
I'm going to fire it up soon (once it gets about 32F) and see if PTC gave me the 5000 stall they claimed to have given me.
Also put on a evacuation system due to the oil blow bye.
Only thing yet to be done is install a new fuel pressure regulator on the NOS system.
Not going to have any earth shattering runs, but I'm really hoping for some 10's this year if all goes right.
That's it for now.
Wow, you've been busy too !!! That ride is really turning out sweet ! It started out great, being a Camaro and all ( and *not* a Nova :smt003 ) and it just keeps getting better :) :thumb:
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

bracketchev1221
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:59 pm
Location: Mountville PA

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#25 Post by bracketchev1221 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:43 am

wikd69 wrote:
Bruce69Camaro wrote:Well, I made some progress over my Christmas vacation of 2 weeks, I got the PG rebuilt with better parts and a brake, a new SFI flex plate, new locking tranny tube, rewired the car and added the 2 step, and now, Ray is dropping off some Strange SA coilovers with 130 springs.
I'm going to fire it up soon (once it gets about 32F) and see if PTC gave me the 5000 stall they claimed to have given me.
Also put on a evacuation system due to the oil blow bye.
Only thing yet to be done is install a new fuel pressure regulator on the NOS system.
Not going to have any earth shattering runs, but I'm really hoping for some 10's this year if all goes right.
That's it for now.
Wow, you've been busy too !!! That ride is really turning out sweet ! It started out great, being a Camaro and all ( and *not* a Nova :smt003 ) and it just keeps getting better :) :thumb:
Of course its getting better!!!! It now has a lot of Chevelle parts added to it!!!!!

User avatar
Bruce69Camaro
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:07 am
Location: PA

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#26 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:58 am

Just the shocks....and they didn't make your car any faster so that's why you got rid of them......OHHHHH Busted :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

bracketchev1221
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:59 pm
Location: Mountville PA

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#27 Post by bracketchev1221 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:07 am

They were working this day. This was the day the ring and pinion was making funny noises. Who woulda guessed that more than half the ring gear teeth were cracked. LOL!!!

http://studio413.smugmug.com/Maple-Grov ... &lb=1&s=XL

User avatar
wikd69
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:42 pm
Location: Rocklin, CA
Contact:

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#28 Post by wikd69 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:24 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:They were working this day. This was the day the ring and pinion was making funny noises. Who woulda guessed that more than half the ring gear teeth were cracked. LOL!!!

http://studio413.smugmug.com/Maple-Grov ... &lb=1&s=XL
Wow, love that shot !!! Absolute GRUNT !!!
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

User avatar
Bruce69Camaro
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:07 am
Location: PA

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#29 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:48 pm

That's not even him driving the car...trust me, I've seen his face, that's all I got to say.....LOL
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

User avatar
Bruce69Camaro
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:07 am
Location: PA

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#30 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:49 pm

Hey Harry, guess because I'm getting these "shock" off of his Chevelle, that means my car is going to pull the front end off like that too....
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests