Dash fabrication

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

sverbus

Dash fabrication

#1 Post by sverbus » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:26 pm

Just like that turquoise machine in the "Checkout this Nova" threat, I want to eliminate my dash pad altogether and weld in the holes and smooth it over with fiberglass. I want to also eliminate the gauge cluster and fabricate some sort of insert that will house my gauges.

my question is a couple fold:

1. my dash is currently painted the purple of the car, and has the dashpad already installed. If I tape off and cover the painted part and do all the fabrication around it, any suggestion on how to add in a paint graphic to work in with my purple once the pad is gone?

2. Does anyone have any pictures of their own projects or cars they've seen that were nice and I could either take some know-how away from the picture or even a few ideas.

thanks guys..

Scott
'70 Nova
434 small block
Best so far of 10.51 @ 131mph with a best so far 60' /1.46

pro70z28

#2 Post by pro70z28 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:36 pm

I'm in the process of building my dash. If you thumb through this thread you can find some progress pics.
http://www.dragstuff.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... &start=480

pro70z28

Re: Dash fabrication

#3 Post by pro70z28 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:40 am

Well, it's another small step but I figured I better dust this thread off. The mold I made for the glove box way back when finally produced a part.

I cut the bottom of the glove box to the contour of the intercooler and glassed it in place.

Flipped it over, cleaned up all the overlaps & danglin' tabs and gave it a couple layers of cloth to hold it together.

Got it roughed in to a 100 grit state & gave it a light coat of primer

I think I'm going to stop here. I'll do the finish work later when I'm ready for final paint. This little project took months (a few minutes here and there). I think I'll work on the engine compartment for my next project. I have a header tube clearance problem to address and then I'll start reconstruction of the firewall. Hopefully I can pick up the pace some on that deal.....

The more I LQQK at the intercooler in this pic. I'm thinking I might change the outlet tube connection to a bolt together joint instead of the hose clamp set-up. I can see that thing blowing off taking the dash with it. That might be bad for me knee & ears too. :-[

wikd69

#4 Post by wikd69 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:55 pm

I was following your earlier build pix on your z28 and I have to say you do outstanding work. Wish I had your talent :)
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

pro70z28

#5 Post by pro70z28 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:34 pm

Thank You. I hope to get more done than I have the last few months. I just have too many irons in the fire I guess. :?

pro70z28

#6 Post by pro70z28 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:58 pm

So, I had some time this weekend & I decided I'd get the hose & clamp set-up replaced. I pulled out the old slab of aluminum and started whittlin' away.

Flipped one over & cut an o-ring groove

cleaned them up on the lathe & cut the mating surfaces for a nice air tight fit.

Finished and ready to install.

pro70z28

#7 Post by pro70z28 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:59 pm

My aluminum welding skills aren't the best, but I got 'em melted together.

Intercooler side with o-ring

all bolted together and back in the caah.

dash cover back in. No more hose & clamps. I feel safer with this set-up by my shin. I've seen some ugly footage of those clamps letting go.

That's what I did this weekend.

wikd69

#8 Post by wikd69 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:20 am

[quote="pro70z28Image
dash cover back in. No more hose & clamps. I feel safer with this set-up by my shin. I've seen some ugly footage of those clamps letting go.

That's what I did this weekend.[/quote]

Man, right now I'm feeling *so* inadequate.... lol
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

pro70z28

#9 Post by pro70z28 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:28 pm

;)

I had a couple hours last weekend, so I thought I'd get organized for the upcoming "Z" firewall build. I've got some sheet metal tools that have been under the bench for a good long while now. So, I chopped up an old attachment I had for my first track loader that was just collecting dust in the corner. It had some slip tubes on it (like a receiver for the hitch). I used some angle iron I had in the shed and made this deal up. I put it on an outside corner of the shop so I'd have plenty of workin' room.

I bought a stretcher/shrinker at a car show a couple years ago. No mount so it hasn't been used yet.

Harbor Freight Planishing hammer. Might call it new old stock. I've had it for a long time too, but never used it.

I've used the bead roller a couple times. Clamped it in the band saw when I DID use it.

I'm wondering about a wing (table top) on each side of the bead roller to help feed the stock through? or maybe it would just get in the way? Any thoughts?

I still plan to make an attachment to hold the bench vise, and one for a small welding table. I'm gettin' tired of saw horses......... :oops:

that's what I've been up to this weekend.

pro70z28

#10 Post by pro70z28 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:29 pm

I welded up the welding table tonight. I cut the supplies kinda' close. I have 1/2 pc. of filler rod left, 20 PSI of argon in the second tank & the 20''x20'' table top was the biggest pc. I could get out of what's left of a 4'x4'x3/16'' sheet of steel.

Bracing under the table. Gettin' low on that stuff too, but I got er' done.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#11 Post by John_Heard » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:15 am

Good ideas... That looks really handy..

pro70z28

#12 Post by pro70z28 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:19 pm

Thanks John. I just about have it done after yesterday. I got rid of the hand crank and put a bicycle wheel in its place. Local bike shop gave it to me, it's a little bent, but it works for this deal. I figured the bigger the wheel the better control. I had to try it out, works a whole lot better now. . I made an aluminum table for the exit side. Loosen 1 thumb screw at the bottom and it lifts off a couple pins on the top. I scribed some lines every 2" as guides. no fence yet. I think I'll use it this way first and add a fence later.

Got the Vice mount done. I made a knee brace for those times when I feel the need to beat on the vise. Same brace will work on all the attachments.

....and I got the rack finished up tonight. Everything in easy reach, tucked away behind the door. Oh, I bent up some scrap sign aluminum also, to protect the wall.

I think I'm ready to start on the "Z" firewall now. I have to put a quick disconnect in the planishing hammer air line so I don't have to drag the foot pedal around. It's a pain in the hose this way.

pro70z28

#13 Post by pro70z28 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:33 pm

Before I start the firewall I wanted to get the English Wheel built. Ran into a little snag though. I made up the bottom anvil assembly last night. Cut the frame parts out today. Got a couple pcs. clamped together to weld.......and then stripped the threads out of the torch head on the TIG. and it's saturday.
There goes the weekend. ...............

John_Heard
Site Admin

#14 Post by John_Heard » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Those look a bit to light to take the forces, can you make them bigger? :mrgreen:

pro70z28

#15 Post by pro70z28 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:06 am

I could throw some gussets on there. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's stuff I found on the salvage side of the local steel supplier, so I have to use what's available. Sadly the pickins are slim these days. The yard is usually full of steel, SS & aluminum that can be bought by the Lb. But not Ann E. Moore.