Did I mount my new belts right/safely? (pics)

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

J Murphy

Did I mount my new belts right/safely? (pics)

#1 Post by J Murphy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:34 am

There is no roll cage in my 69 Cuda, as I want to keep it semi-street appearing. I run it in the ET sportsman category, 12.6 @ 105. 360ci with M/T ET Streets and Flowmasters.

I had had the original seats and belt, but felt unsafe because of a mid-back seat. I bought new seats and belts. (see picture)

With no bars, the only way I saw to mount them was to just let them fall straight down from the holes in the back of the seat, mark the spot, and drill a hole. It uses 1/2" Grade 8 bolts, and a 360 lb rated hook in the floorboard. (see picture) Under the car, it is anchored as such: (see picture).

I checked the NHRA rulebook and it only mentioned securing these belts to a roll bar. What will they say when I get teched somewhere like ET Finals? Thanks everyone!

Craig W.

Re: Did I mount my new belts right/safely? (pics)

#2 Post by Craig W. » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:04 pm

That setup relies on the strength of the seat back, which may not even lock in the upright position. So I think in a wreck, you'd be eating the steering wheel like you weren't even wearing a belt.

You need to move the mounting point WAY back to create some angle to the belts. You might look at the rear seat belt mounting points as a potential location.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

J Murphy

Re: Did I mount my new belts right/safely? (pics)

#3 Post by J Murphy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:24 pm

Thank you for your answer, Craig. I had changed them from the stock belts and seat because I didn't feel very safe with the mid-back seats (neck injuries), but now I feel even more unsafe. :/