Pedals are done.

sc racing

Re: winter changes/upgrades

#287 Post by sc racing » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:38 am

Do you ever sleep?

DOTracer

#288 Post by DOTracer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:09 am

Honestly haven't gotten near the hours I'd like to work on it here recently. Lucky if I get a couple hours a week it seems.

Dave Yonemura

#289 Post by Dave Yonemura » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Will you be covering up the wires and brake lines behind and along the floor there?

DOTracer

#290 Post by DOTracer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:34 pm

Dave Yonemura wrote:Will you be covering up the wires and brake lines behind and along the floor there?
The ones behind the pedals?

If so, yes. The kick panels are going back in and the carpet should run forward enough to cover the lines running across (fire system lines).

DOTracer

#291 Post by DOTracer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Brakes have been bled, driveshaft sensor installed & wired, pressure transducers mounted, vacuum sensor mounted, main fuel line up front completed, brake light wire corrected, shock bumpers cut down and shocks remounted inverted.

Have the stock core support mocked up taking measurements to fabricated a chromoly tubular replacement. Oh yea, the new smaller/lighter radiator/fan assembly came in this week.

Carolina Kid

#292 Post by Carolina Kid » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Damn car is to purty to race!
Gettin close, when is the first shake down pass to be?
Wish I could be there to see it!!!
OUTSTANDING WORK :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

DOTracer

#293 Post by DOTracer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:44 pm

Don't know if it'll be done by spring or not. Would like to, but still a couple thousand $$$ to finish. :shock:

Gonna try, but we'll just wait and see.

DOTracer

#294 Post by DOTracer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Tried to have a productive weekend working on the car last evening and this afternoon. I wound up spending that time doing some rewire work on the power & ground cables.

Some of the professionals that saw the pics suggested I install a dedicated ground cable front to back in the car to attach all the ground circuits as the chromoly tubing & stock metal is not a sufficient ground plane.

Anyway, turned out to be quite a bit of work and was difficult to make the grounds look neat with as many connections there wound up being. Turned out alright I guess, but this case, form must follow function, so a properly grounded electrical system was more important than neatness.

The car previously had 1/0 power cable which I removed and replaced with 2 gauge cable and ran an identical size 2 gauge for the ground front to back.

In the passenger kick panel area I installed a pass-thru stud to allow me to ground the engine block & cylinder heads to the main ground cable. The block was tough to figure out since the diaper completely covers the block to the bottom of the heads. Passing from the frame to the block with the cable took some head scratching.

I also made up a harness leading up front to power the fan, head lights, parking lights and their respective ground circuits. I terminated that harness at the front of the frame rails with a 5 pin round Delphi weatherpak connector. I'll finish the rest of that once the tubular core support is built and I can install the front clip for the last time.

Other than the forward harness, the only other electrical components that need completing is connecting a couple data logger sensors to the engine.

Next project will be making a jig so I can then build the tubular chromoly core support.

DOTracer

#295 Post by DOTracer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:05 pm

Just had this forwarded to me in an e-mail.

http://www.dragzine.com/news/todd-geisl ... -makeover/

Didn't know anything about it...pretty cool.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#296 Post by John_Heard » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:17 pm

That's cool on getting the ink, and well deserved I might add.

What' that on the pass door bar, a lighter socket?

DOTracer

#297 Post by DOTracer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:25 pm

John_Heard wrote:That's cool on getting the ink, and well deserved I might add.

What' that on the pass door bar, a lighter socket?
Thanks John.

That is a jack for the download box of the Autometer data log dash. There's a box you plug into the port, then remove and plug it into your computer's USB to download data.

Had I known I was gonna use the Autometer piece when doing fab work, I would have welded a tab instead. I kinda left the decision go on conventional gauges vs the digital dash as I didn't know if I wanted to spend the money at the time.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#298 Post by John_Heard » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Sounds like good planning, even though it was an afterthought turned out looking nice regardless.

I'm going to figure out a way to put the Data Logger Serial and MSD USB cable sockets somewhere easy to get access to. Maybe glove box door or something.

DOTracer

#299 Post by DOTracer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:40 pm

John_Heard wrote:Sounds like good planning, even though it was an afterthought turned out looking nice regardless.

I'm going to figure out a way to put the Data Logger Serial and MSD USB cable sockets somewhere easy to get access to. Maybe glove box door or something.
Glove box would be a good idea assuming the car still has one. ;)

In the past I would plug the included MSD cable in the box and tie wrap up most of the slack into a coil and let it lay on the forward part of the floor. At download time, I kept a 50' cable in the trailer and ran it out to the car so I could keep the laptop on the counter in the trailer. Much easier to read the screen there, then trying to view with it sitting on the passenger seat or the roof of the car.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#300 Post by John_Heard » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Only bad thing about those 50' cables is people tripping on them walking around the car. I'd really like to have some kind of wireless setup, but hey the 50' cable is a lot cheaper.