How to fix a generator that has no power

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

How to fix a generator that has no power

#1 Post by John_Heard » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:40 am

Saturday at the races my generator quit working. Started fine, but no juice. So yesterday I took it into John Deere to have them look at it, about 30 minutes later the guy calls back and says it's fixed. I figured it was a fuse or something, but he said all it needed was the field excited again. Later in the evening I drug out my big generator, a Honda EG5000 and low and behold it wouldn't put out any juice either.

So I figure maybe it's the same problem. Got to reading on the Internet and I guess it's a common problem for a generator that sits for a while, the field loses magnetism and then it won't work.

Here's the neat part, it's real easy to fix this. Just start the generator, turn the power on and plug a drill into the outlet. Next pull the trigger and spin the drill backwards with your hand. I tried it and a couple twists later it took off working just fine! Cool, saved a repair bill!

Might file that one away, pretty handy tip I thought...

Mike Peters

#2 Post by Mike Peters » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:34 am

Glad you found an honest guy to do the repair. Probably a lot of places would have replaced a few items. You gonna bring the big generator in that new enclosed next season so we can all plug into it? I've got a microwave and some floodlights that'll need some juice. LOL!!!
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:21 am

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out where to mount it in the trailer right now. Should have plenty of light around the pits next season!

MOKANRACER

Yeah Ya need the Big one.

#4 Post by MOKANRACER » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:45 am

Beyond wrote:Yeah, I'm trying to figure out where to mount it in the trailer right now. Should have plenty of light around the pits next season!
Ya need the big one, I just got a 200 ft ext cord,so I,m ready for ya.LOL

dadnova

#5 Post by dadnova » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:37 am

Its all the same no matter where you go. LOL :lol:
We have a guy here that has a huge double stacker that we all plug into as well. He doesn't mind as his Onen puts out plenty of power and runs all night night long any ways. :lol: