Welding and Fabricating

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

dbordeaux

Welding and Fabricating

#1 Post by dbordeaux » Thu May 12, 2005 3:52 pm

Hello, I am offering to narrow rear end housings for racers,I can not understand that I have almost no response,I have spent over $600.00 for an Alston jig,$500.00 for Tig welding outfit,have been certified for Tig,Mig,Stick,and cutting with Plasma arc,and cutting torch,I know theres got to be people out there who do not have all this.I have 2 cars completed right now to look at my work,I only charge $40.00 to narrow a customers housing and $140.00 + shipping if I supply a 9" Ford narrowed to fit customers car.What would you rather have one cut down to fit someone else's car and try to make it fit or have one made to start with to fit your car,Thanks for reading my thoughts on this,Dan.

MOKANRACER

Narrowed 9"

#2 Post by MOKANRACER » Thu May 12, 2005 7:16 pm

Sure sounds reasonable to me. Eventually I want to do a change on a 55 Chevy. Will certainly keep you in mind,also will pass the info along.

admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by admin » Thu May 12, 2005 9:45 pm

Yup, price is cheap enough. Feel free to post a couple pictures of some of your work.

John

mcss496

#4 Post by mcss496 » Fri May 13, 2005 5:24 am

Cheap? That's like for free!!!! I am thinking about back halfing my monte, If I do, you got the job. Will you also put a back brace on it? ( ford rear).
Monte Carlo SS....An iron fist in a velvet glove"

David Lemmond

#5 Post by David Lemmond » Fri May 13, 2005 9:42 am

Definately a good price. So good it may be scaring some people off?
I get $150 just so you'll have something to go by, but different areas demand different pricing.
You should post pics so people can have something to look at. You get a few out there and you'll have plenty of work.

David 8)
David Lemmond's Race Shop
Somerville, Al.
256-778-8888
Specializing in 10.5 tire cars chassis, suspension, and components.
67-69 Camaro, 68-74 Nova Tubular A-arms.
62-67 Chevy II tubular A-arms.

Ron Clark

rear ends

#6 Post by Ron Clark » Sat May 14, 2005 1:40 am

yes..40 bucks will scare folks off..people with experience want to know that you know all the angles...post a picture showing the work..explain that you understand about the process, and what happens to rearends under power..always add backbraces, most folks will pay a few dollars for them..say you use only the large tube "truck " housings with big bearing ends..the more info you can give, the better you look..where are you at?..for 140 bucks i'd take a chance..if i knew you were capable..as far as jigs go, we been doing this for years with just a chop saw and lots of talent..i'm sure jigs make it faster..making money selling "racing" services is a tuff way to go, i wish you luck... 8)

#7 Post by Guest » Sat May 14, 2005 5:31 am

Yep, makin money in this biz is a bitch, I had a speed shop for 12 years and it was always feast or famon. one of my best friends
had a chassis shop and we would just funnel the work between ourselves, with me doing al the engine work and him doing his thing.

Even the transport biz I have is tough, there is always somebody thats says I can do that cheaper but what are you really getting for your hard earned cash? Just charge what you have too and always provide superior services and people will pay you.

After all we are all into this thing of ours and we all have one thing in common, We only want the best for our toys.

dbordeaux

Welding and Fabricating

#8 Post by dbordeaux » Sat May 14, 2005 8:06 pm

Hello, I appreciate the response from my earlier post on narrowing rear end housings,What I am trying to do is reach people who would not otherwise be able to build a car with a narrowed rear.Most not all sounded like they have done this before. I probably was narrowing rear end housing and driving the cars I have built on the drag strip before some were born.I am not trying to match wits with people,I am just trying to help.Some said we are all in this together,like it or not like a union,we have to work together to live threw the high cost of drag racing and the cost to live.I still would offer what Moser Engineering does for $65.00,for $40.00+shipping or I would supply a 9" Ford housing built exactly to fit your car for $140.00+shipping to your door. I welcome you when you get it back to have it X-rayed for the unbelievers. I have 2 dragrace cars, lets do some drag racing, I am.Thanks Dan.

mcss496

#9 Post by mcss496 » Sat May 14, 2005 8:38 pm

I was the guest (forgot to sign in lol) that said we all want the best for our cars. Sounds like you have been doin it as long as I have. Like I said before provide excellent services and they will come... Thats what I have been doin for 20 years.

Oh yea, I just wanna beat up on my car as well. :wink:
Monte Carlo SS....An iron fist in a velvet glove"

MOKANRACER

HEY GUYS

#10 Post by MOKANRACER » Sat May 14, 2005 8:56 pm

:lol: OK...I,m gonna be 66 in less than 2 weeks.Dont tell me your as old as me??? I had my 1st car at 13. Had 24 of them before graduation. Still an old car fanatic. But do back yard maching,for sure. :roll: I enjoy reading your ideas,thoughts,and most of all,observing your talents. Way to go to both of you.Roger :wink:

#11 Post by Guest » Fri May 20, 2005 11:15 pm

I would like to see some pics of your work myself, I am getting ready to order a housing from moser. I need a hd housing narrowed with a back brace and ladder bar brackets installed. I also want to set it up for a wheelie bar but I probably need to do that in the car. My email Is rbc_racing@yahoo.com if you would like to send a few pics of your work to me.

MOKANRACER

Work

#12 Post by MOKANRACER » Sat May 21, 2005 5:55 am

If you click on my link above ,there are( 3 pages )of my current projects. Cars ,not just housing fabriction. As restoring classic chevys,is my thing. Current one is a 62 ChevyII ,Drag vehicle. Istalled a TCI front end,and Strange 9" in the rear. Calif I used to run D-Gas flat head rails,and Flat Bottom Boats on the Colorado river. Used to run a circle racer flat bottom at Lake Ming in Bakers Field.

dragman28

#13 Post by dragman28 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:09 pm

Hello Dragstuff members,It has been a while since here,I sold alot of 9" Ford housings narrowed to desired width,I do have a pic of one sold and I will try to post it here,Thanks Dan. :D
Attachments
39650008.JPG