Cutting sheet metal?

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

DriveWFO

Cutting sheet metal?

#1 Post by DriveWFO » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:41 pm

What's the best way for a novice to make a nice straight cut on some sheet metal without any fancy tools? I need to re-do my rear firewall...gonna use a flange tool to make it look purdy.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:05 pm

I've never actually tried it myself, but I've seen some people use a chopsaw blade in a circular saw, works pretty good on large sheets I've been told. You could always probably take in to someone that has a sheer and have it cut for you.

Maliboost

#3 Post by Maliboost » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:44 pm

a shear is the way to go there. if you try using a chop saw you can only get the metal in there soo far before it hits the back (On mine @ least).

if your going to brake the edge of it over, then what do you care what it looks like? snips or a jig saw will work, depending on the thickness. I would use snips. just dont goto the end of the snips & it wont leave little rabbit bites in the cut.

bob

sc racing

#4 Post by sc racing » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:29 pm

nice cuts for corners and for long straight cuts use an air chisle with sheet metal bit it looks kinda like a fork, clamp a straight edge along the line for a guide and let the air chisle follow along. I saw on an old thread the firewall only has to be .024 thick minimum I'm not sure what gauge sheetmetal that is.

sc racing

#5 Post by sc racing » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:31 pm

I dont know what happened but the first part of my post is gone ??I asked if you had a compressor you could use an air nibbler for the tight cuts and and corners and the rest is on the post before this one.

DriveWFO

#6 Post by DriveWFO » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:56 am

Yes, I have a compressor. I think .024" sheet metal coincidentally turns out to be 24 gauge.