Anybody ever bought a Shafiroff Short Block?

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

dennisracing

#61 Post by dennisracing » Fri May 16, 2008 4:40 pm

Well, to update on my SSRE situation, got the crank, 2 rods and 2 pistons. Rings and all the bearings replaced/ shipped for 500 bucks..I think I came out alright...Vinny was very pleasant to deal with actually...So alls good

John_Heard
Site Admin

#62 Post by John_Heard » Fri May 16, 2008 5:03 pm

Did you guys figure out what caused it to come apart?

dennisracing

#63 Post by dennisracing » Fri May 16, 2008 7:19 pm

Well, of course Shafiroffs not gonna admit fault.. but you can tell by looking at the journal of # 1 and 2 rods, that it was too tight clearance on # 1 rod... the half that is # 2 is hardly affected , right next to it the bearing is stacked .. Vinny said oil starved..Well of course, with too tight clearances... But i'm assembling it now, so If the new ones they sent are tight, i'll have them honed....
Like someone said above , they've become a motor mill, and just put out too many motors, and got careless..Mistakes happen I guess..
I'm hearing this happens quite a bit with Eagle rods..
But I got all new stuff now...i'm happy

MMAX

#64 Post by MMAX » Sat May 24, 2008 10:19 am

The news just keeps on getting better and better about Shafiroff, and I've STILL yet to fire mine up. Is it worthwhile to take it to a reputable machine shop for disassembly to check clearances? You wouldn't think you'd have to buying from a big name like Shafiroff but you never know.

Canadian Guy

#65 Post by Canadian Guy » Sun May 25, 2008 8:37 am

MMAX wrote:The news just keeps on getting better and better about Shafiroff, and I've STILL yet to fire mine up. Is it worthwhile to take it to a reputable machine shop for disassembly to check clearances? You wouldn't think you'd have to buying from a big name like Shafiroff but you never know.
Well I have some good news about my 582ci Shafiroff! Its been running well with no other issues after the oil leaking out of the block which has been fixed. I have about 700 miles on it and just did my first oil change. The magnetic drain plug only had a little bit of metel mud collected on it, no metal pieces at all. :D Seeing as you are a Canadian customer and they give us NO warranty you might want to have that done, at least on the bottom end just to be sure. Good luck with your engine! :-)
71 Camaro
My first car - owned 31 years now
582 Shafiroff BBC 768HP + 726TQ
Best so far 10.49@130

MMAX

#66 Post by MMAX » Sun May 25, 2008 9:23 am

When are you planning on racing it?

Canadian Guy

#67 Post by Canadian Guy » Sun May 25, 2008 9:41 am

MMAX wrote:When are you planning on racing it?
Was going to last weekend but it was a washout here. :( This weekend I had other things going on (local car shows) but the next two weekends are race weekends for me. I race with the ONDR (Ontario Nostalgic Drag Racers). Hoping for very low 10's out of it. 8-)
71 Camaro
Best so far 10.49@130

MMAX

#68 Post by MMAX » Sun May 25, 2008 10:26 am

You should be able to get low 10s easy.

dennisracing

#69 Post by dennisracing » Sun May 25, 2008 5:35 pm

Well, my news isn't that great :? I recieved my parts Fri. 2 new rods, a new crank, main and rod bearings...I told them I needed cam bearings. didn't get cam bearings. They put the old pistons ( that they glass beaded) in the new rods( I'll get to that story in a minute :cry: )
The crank which was balanced was all full of metal , I would clean it anyway, just principle/ they didn't care.. I went and bought cam bearings.. and was all ready to get it put together this weekend.. We maticulously measured everything thoroughly, and good thing we did..Oh I forgot.. I had to pay 500 dollars for all of this, so they weren't out anything.. anyway, The rings weren't anykind of file to fit or anything... generic out of the box put them in rings... endgap huge.. measured the original #1 piston they sent back , 10 thousands smaller than the others.. 17 thou total piston to wall clearance.. due to the piston hitting the head...they didn't even care.. I told them this, thats why I sent it back to them.. and both pistons ring grooves had spot the rings wouldn't fit around..and would have to fix...
So, i'm ordering 2 new pistons from from Wiseco , my motor will be right...I wouldn't let Shafiroff build a motor for my grandmothers station wagon...WTF
Good Luck guys
I'm out
Dennis Racing

MMAX

#70 Post by MMAX » Sun May 25, 2008 8:10 pm

Makes you shake your head and wonder what the hell is going on there.

dennisracing

#71 Post by dennisracing » Mon May 26, 2008 12:13 pm

I guess thats what happens when your mass producing motors.. That doesn't make it right though...I won't recommend them.

MMAX

#72 Post by MMAX » Mon May 26, 2008 8:16 pm

You look at the price and you think holy shit! If I was to build that same engine here in Canada it would probably cost me $20000 to $25000. Too bad the quality isn't there. I'm really wondering now about mine since they don't offer any warranty up here at all...sounds like the warranty is a big joke anyway. I'd really like to hear what Scott himself says about all this.

Canadian Guy

#73 Post by Canadian Guy » Mon May 26, 2008 8:55 pm

MMAX wrote:You look at the price and you think holy shit! If I was to build that same engine here in Canada it would probably cost me $20000 to $25000. Too bad the quality isn't there. I'm really wondering now about mine since they don't offer any warranty up here at all...sounds like the warranty is a big joke anyway. I'd really like to hear what Scott himself says about all this.
I'm hoping they actually make some good ones and after my initial problem that mine will be good to go (so far so good)! It makes lots of power and has the parts in it that they said it does. I tried to get past the people on the phone and talk to Scott Shafiroff and Bill Mitchell at World Products about my problems but that did NOT happen. I wanted to hear what they would say but only got in second hand. The warranty only applies to there street line of complete create motors and not to short blocks and only in the US I think.
71 Camaro
Best so far 10.49@130

dennisracing

#74 Post by dennisracing » Tue May 27, 2008 7:16 am

I didn't expect any warranty, since I only bought a short block, but really 14 eighth mile passes, and spun #1 like that, with a new oil pump, priming and all.. I've always built my own motors, and never had any issues.. I knew it was an error on there part, and they didn't want to take care of anything, or admit anykind of fault.....Oh well.. that only makes them look bad..

MMAX

Re: Anybody ever bought a Shafiroff Short Block?

#75 Post by MMAX » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:24 pm

I finally turned the key on my Shafiroff 582 tonight. Sounded awesome, ran it for about 20 min and had no leaks of any kind...except for coolant. In the 20 min it ran it got up to 240F and overflowed catch can. Any ideas on cooling the thing down--I can't remember my 461 ever getting that hot. Griffin 31X19 rad, Meziere 35gph H2O pump, twin electric fans.