Battery Kill Switch Setup

General Gauges, Wiring, Ignition..

Moderator: John_Heard

427belair

#16 Post by 427belair » Sat May 24, 2008 8:34 pm

yup, almost every time I fasten my belts I realize I forgot the switch. Maybe this year I'll be smarter.

dadnova

Re: Battery Kill Switch Setup

#17 Post by dadnova » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:39 am

Thats were the switch on the roll cage comes in handy, thats how we turn off the power, we never turn off the rear switch, its for the track personel to turn off the car if there is a problem.
Gotta plan, spend it before she can, and go as fast as you can.

evil16v

#18 Post by evil16v » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:46 am

I just ran the alternator ouput to the battery side of my trunk mount switch with 10 AWG. I ran an anti chafe sheath over everything. ranit inside the from rail for most the distance.

don't forget, your killing the diodes if ya disconnect the battery from a running alternator. Plus it won't pass inspection if it doesn't shut the car off.

I am starting to like the idea of the second cutoff near the driver. not sur e how iwould incorporate it with my scheme though.
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

FARRIGNO

#19 Post by FARRIGNO » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:56 am

since we are on the topic of battery shutoff's my track told me the on/off swith type is no longer accepted,you need the push/pull type,now does any body have pics of one installed on a 70-72 chevelle??? need some ideas thanks.
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

John_Heard
Site Admin

#20 Post by John_Heard » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:17 am

Since when did they make that rule?? What sanctioning body?

I know IHRA just modified their wording, but it doesn't say that on/off vs push pull is required, only changed that you have to have it labeled if it's not push off.

evil16v

#21 Post by evil16v » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:19 pm

FARRIGNO wrote:since we are on the topic of battery shutoff's my track told me the on/off swith type is no longer accepted,you need the push/pull type,now does any body have pics of one installed on a 70-72 chevelle??? need some ideas thanks.
I doubt if i have any pictures... but i bet the A body's were all the same at and under the trunk latch. I just used a 90* turn switch, made a clevis, put a piece of allthread and a knob on it. I then drilled a hole in the trunk pan somewhere around the trunk latch brace. it exits where the licence plate goes.
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

FARRIGNO

#22 Post by FARRIGNO » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:55 pm

John_Heard wrote:Since when did they make that rule?? What sanctioning body?

I know IHRA just modified their wording, but it doesn't say that on/off vs push pull is required, only changed that you have to have it labeled if it's not push off.
john, my tech guy told me that then again he don't seem to brite to me,he told me it was ihra ruling...suppose i should look into it before i make any changes!
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

John_Heard
Site Admin

#23 Post by John_Heard » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:41 pm

The new update is posted on the IHRA website, I don't recall where though. Yeah I'd read up on that before you go changing it all around.

Chi Town Brown

Re:

#24 Post by Chi Town Brown » Sun May 10, 2009 10:30 pm

79 Camaro wrote:
rustbucket wrote:does everybody go through the trouble to suit up, strap in, window net, gloves helmet and hit the ignition? About the time you realize the master switch is still cut off, all of your crew has headed to the line and their out of screaming distance.
I do it every trip to the track. Sometimes twice. it really sux.lol

LOL! Thats a good one!!! I do that at least once or twice a race!! :lol:
I hate that! :x HAHA!
The crew is always around if you have radios !!!!