Proform Starter Wiring

General Gauges, Wiring, Ignition..

Moderator: John_Heard

MMAX

Proform Starter Wiring

#1 Post by MMAX » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:31 pm

I was looking over a tech sheet on wiring a Proform gear reduction starter and it's extremely vague. The spade terminal to the starter switch (12 or 14 guage wire) is straight forward and it says to install the black lead (already attached to starter) to the lower terminal. The part I don't understand is the upper terminal. It says this goes to the battery...do both positive and negative wires attach to this upper terminal?

MMAX

Re: Proform Starter Wiring

#2 Post by MMAX » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:57 pm

Upon further investigation, the wire I thought went to the negative battery terminal actually goes to the master cut-off switch. Does this wire go to the top terminal along with the positive to battery wire?

sc racing

#3 Post by sc racing » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:10 am

Your master cutoff switch should be wired to the negative side of the battery not the positive. If you disconnect the ground there is no chance of power feeding back so everthing will shut off like its supposed to.

MMAX

#4 Post by MMAX » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:10 pm

Not necessarily...mine goes to the positive battery terminal, to the starter and one wire to the alternator to kill its field shutting down the car. Do you have any idea on wiring the starter SC?

sc racing

#5 Post by sc racing » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:07 pm

MMAX wrote:Not necessarily...mine goes to the positive battery terminal, to the starter and one wire to the alternator to kill its field shutting down the car. Do you have any idea on wiring the starter SC?
If you didnt have it wired yet going to the negative sidewould have been easier. I run the battery cable to the large lug on the solenoid and a wire from the starter button ( or key) to the neutral safety switch to the "s " terminal on the solenoid. I dont know of any other way it should be.

MMAX

#6 Post by MMAX » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:23 pm

I got it figured out.

HAULIN' IT

#7 Post by HAULIN' IT » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:19 pm

Sc, I found your post about cutting the negative interesting....I have never heard of anyone doing it that way. However any mechanical teaching says to disconnect the negative first, so is anyone else on here doing the negative side? The only thing I question is...How does the ignition get "chopped" when the switch is turned off? Thanks, Lorne

sc racing

#8 Post by sc racing » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:40 pm

HAULIN' IT wrote:Sc, I found your post about cutting the negative interesting....I have never heard of anyone doing it that way. However any mechanical teaching says to disconnect the negative first, so is anyone else on here doing the negative side? The only thing I question is...How does the ignition get "chopped" when the switch is turned off? Thanks, Lorne
If there is no ground nothing electrical can work.If you disconect the ground the circuit is not complete.This applies to car ,boat,home or anything electrical.A ground must be present for a completed circuit.

HAULIN' IT

#9 Post by HAULIN' IT » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:27 pm

Wouldn't the alternator keep feeding juice to the ignition & keep the car running? Not arguing, trying to make sense of it all. If you start most any car & unhook the battery terminals, the car stays running...this is what I'm getting at. You have eliminated the ground at the battery when the switch is off (so the car wouldn't start) but not the other grounds at the front of the car. It doesn't seem to me that your car would shut off once it is running & then switch shut off... Does it? Thanks, Lorne

CoMax Racing

#10 Post by CoMax Racing » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:08 am

I thought I read somewhere in the rule books NHRA/IHRA that they no longer allow a Negative cutoff, and all cutoffs must be on the positive side. I will read the rules and check.

MMAX

#11 Post by MMAX » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:49 pm

That's true CoMax, I just checked my rulebook and that's what it states.

sc racing

#12 Post by sc racing » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:44 pm

I didnt know there was a rule on the neg cut off. Mine is acutally on the + side but it didnt shut the car off until I put in a charging system shutdown relay kit from Painless in. I was going to put it on the neg side but I guess Ill leave it as is.