broken bellhousing th350

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

1320john

Re: broken bellhousing th350

#16 Post by 1320john » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:11 pm

fourtenposi wrote:Another vote for the driveshaft, But I think it may be too short. Had a buddy of mine, Got him some good shocks on the car that made it dead hook, 3 passes later, broke the case. So thinking it may have been just one of those deals, replaced the case again. 3 passes later, broke the case. So really started to look at things, noticed that there was probably over an 1/8 inch of play in the transmission yoke up and down. Replaced the case again, measured for new driveshaft , and new driveshaft came back 3/4 of an inch longer. Hasn't had a problem with it since.

I would get under the car with everything at rest and see if you can feel any significant play in it.
My car went all year i have over 240 passes on it before it broke this time. Before that i had rubber motor mounts and the ears cut off trans. Last year it broke the bell on its first outing so i had a balanced driveshaft made sold mounts and didnt cut the ears off the case. I am going to try the driveshaft angle gauge before i run it next year. thanks for the help

1320john

#17 Post by 1320john » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:31 pm

John_Heard wrote:My memory isn't great on this, but it seems to me his first problem was a broken tailhousing, maybe two of them, then he broke a bell housing. I believe he did the driveshaft change, added pinion snubber and put a different transmission in it all at the same time and problem went away. Hard to tell which one was actually the problem.

I believe it was a turbo 350
I am putting the trans in tomorrow going to drive it on the street to see if i have any vibration then back to the driveshaft shop to see what they have to say. rip shit or bust wish me luck

lightnin

#18 Post by lightnin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:16 am

same here was building a camaro had a 468 in it doing it a friends shop he dropped motor when i wasnt there bent flexplate replaced it with one he had but motor had no dowell he just bolted it on wrong i went through three bell housings before i found the problem turned the flexplate and added a dowell ran smooth no more breaking bell housings