Dash Pad Covers - Anyone use one?

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

Re: Dash Pad Covers - Anyone use one?

#31 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:03 am

She told me to tell you don't forget the clear coat...... :smt005 :smt005

How was the over-all quality?

I'm looking to get one but I'm using you as the guinea pig to see how things work out first.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#32 Post by John_Heard » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:25 am

Seems fine, I stuck it on top of the old dash pad and it fits nice and snug. I think it's made out of ABS plastic. Been looking at how to make some mounts for it in different ways and thinking about using Velcro strips to hold it down in some places, and maybe making some plastic tabs underneath to screw it down in a few places. Probably won't mess with it much till I get the car back from the paint shop.

Bruce69Camaro

#33 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:02 am

Hey John,

Get anywhere with the install?

Would panel bond adhere to these covers?
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#34 Post by John_Heard » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:18 am

Blue isn't here now, took her to the body shop Wednesday so the dash pad project is on the back burner for a while.

Dunno about Panel Bond... I believe the Dash Pad is ABS plastic and read somewhere that acetone will glue it real good. Was going to do some more research but haven't got back on it.

Bruce69Camaro

#35 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:47 am

That would be nice if you could use velcro strips and if you ever need to take it out, bingo.

Now that's got me thinking :scratch:

Guess I got me a new winter project :thumb:

Bruce69Camaro

#36 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Back from the dead....have you given anymore thought to how your going to install the cover?

I know I've been told to buy a factory one because you want the right look, but man, paying close to $300 for a repo dash pad is just a bit too much money for me.

JC Whitney, Accu Form covers cost me $60.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#37 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:31 pm

Not a whole lot, been working on other stuff. I had entertained the idea of attaching it with industrial Velcro so I don't have to put screws through it. The trick then is to get some pads where to put the velcro, it's made of ABS I think, so it wouldn't be too hard to "weld" some abs pads to the bottom of it to get the velcro flush with the main metal dash. Not sure if that makes sense or not..

Bruce69Camaro

#38 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:19 pm

I follow you.

I have an idea as well, but my way would be more involved if I had to remove it.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#39 Post by John_Heard » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:25 am

Super light dash pad cover in place. It fits, but not great. About as good as it's gonna get for something that was designed to go on top of the stock pad. The top edge is held in place with a full width velcro strip. That part worked ok, I had to make some brackets for it to mount to above the dash panel, and still working on best way to secure it on the lower side above the glove box. But, it'll work for a race car. Not something I'd recommend if you're concerned about a great fitting deal.

Carolina Kid

#40 Post by Carolina Kid » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:37 am

looks pretty good from here!
Now when is the first pass? :mrgreen:

Craig W.

#41 Post by Craig W. » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Looks good to me.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

John_Heard
Site Admin

#42 Post by John_Heard » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:14 pm

Carolina Kid wrote:looks pretty good from here!
Now when is the first pass? :mrgreen:
Thanks, first pass is hard to guestimate. Getting closer though, made a good dent in the todo list this weekend.

Bruce69Camaro

#43 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:59 am

Now you made my decision real tough....

I'm install a Accu Form dash cap in my in-laws 78 Firebird and that cap fit real good, no trimming, nothing. In fact, it looks real good just sitting there and it's not even glued in yet.

Let me ask you this, and this was one of my questions running through my mind. How is the cap going to react to heat, because there is no "dash pad" under it? Will it warp or "sink in" because there is no support from underneath?

I was asked to put my car in a car show out that our church is having and I really need a dash pad, so do I get a cap and a few other small items or go out and buy a repo dash? Like I said after I saw the cap for the Firebird, I was convienced to buy one but then the heat question came to mind.

By the way, you dash looks real good. Are you happy with the factory black or do you plan to spray it?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#44 Post by John_Heard » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:10 am

That's a good question, I would assume if the interior gets over 200 degrees or so that's quite possible. If I wasn't concerned about weight I would certainly look into a repop dash pad instead of this setup.

Bruce69Camaro

#45 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:30 am

Well I'm going with the Accu Form or Payco brand. Called my local Camaro parts guy last night, all but $300 for a dash pad.

Let's see, $64 vs. $300.....I thinks the $64 wins!

How did you attach the velcro to the cap? Did you just clean it as per the instructions and apply the velcro or did you use some sort of glue?

I also think I'm going to use gloss black vinyl spray on it to match the interior better.