Points distributor help

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

BracketNova

Points distributor help

#1 Post by BracketNova » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:17 pm

Hello friends,

I'm trying to resurrect my grandfather's truck. It's been sitting for twenty years or so. I've replaced the coil, points, condenser, ballast resistor, cap and rotor. All setup, I have .5 ohms resistance from the battery ground to the wire coming out of the distributor.

When I crank it over it fries the points. It will melt any plastic that is touching the band and take the spring-e-ness away from it.

Tried two new coils. Both new ones will make it do this... The twenty year old one I found on the floor board does not. But it doesn't have good enough spark to jump from the rotor to the cap. The new coil has just under 3 ohms resistance across the neg and pos terminals.

The points spark real bad when cranking, but if I open then by hand it's what I would say is normal.

I'm going to try going from the battery ground to the coil and the coil to the ballast resistor tomorrow... Other than that I'm stumped.

Any thoughts? It's on a 56 Chevy truck... That has a 66 250 in it.

Thanks
Greg
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

jmarkaudio

Re: Points distributor help

#2 Post by jmarkaudio » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Likely the wrong coil and/or ballast resistor. Finding the right combination these days may not be easy, NAPA will probably be your best chance. Another option is to use the points to trigger an MSD.
Mark Whitener

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

mytmouz

Re: Points distributor help

#3 Post by mytmouz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Make sure you have 6 volts only going in...
Trucks are for haulin...