Winter Upgrades....

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

Winter Upgrades....

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:43 am

Ok, what is on everyone's "To Do" list over the winter?

I added a two step ( thanks Ray), rewired all my controls, getting ready to pull the tranny and put in a transbrake (thanks Don) and I'll be set for the new season.

My 60's area terrible, so I'm hoping the brake will help, but a stall change may be needed????

I also got on the side a forward facing air pan setup for Ray's car, which I'm going to have fun fabricating this thing up for him.

Then I can say, when he picks up a tenth, that's all because of me, but Ray will say it's all because of him....LOL

I never win with him!

Anyhow, my goal that I'm shooting for is 10.0's by the end of next season and I'm hoping it will happen, but any 10's will be a win, win situation in my book.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Winter Upgrades....

#2 Post by John_Heard » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:33 pm

We're debating that right now, trying to decide if we should destroke the engine so the car will be X275 legal or not. Technically it's only a few races around here that run those rules, so doesn't really make sense as the crank will be about $2k. We're going to freshen engine, rings, bearings, new rods, etc.

Would like to get some more weight out of the car, problem is we're at the point where anything significant will not be cheap. Probably work on the nitrous system a bit to see if we can get some more out that too.

wikd69

#3 Post by wikd69 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:13 pm

John_Heard wrote:We're debating that right now, trying to decide if we should destroke the engine so the car will be X275 legal or not. Technically it's only a few races around here that run those rules, so doesn't really make sense as the crank will be about $2k. We're going to freshen engine, rings, bearings, new rods, etc.

Would like to get some more weight out of the car, problem is we're at the point where anything significant will not be cheap. Probably work on the nitrous system a bit to see if we can get some more out that too.
2 grand for a crank ? Whose crank is that ?
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:25 pm

That's a rough cost for a Callies Magnum & balancing

bracketchev1221

#5 Post by bracketchev1221 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Like Bruce said, I am finally after 11 years of having a cowl hood, going to try a forward facing airpan. I have never ran a rear facing pan on this car because so many people have said they just did not make a noticeable difference. Hopefully the ram effect from the front will be enough to pick this thing up some. I am also trying to see if I can swing 4 new shocks and rear springs for the car. The current rears are single adjustable Strange shocks, and Koni SPA-1 shocks in the front. The goal is a double adjustable Strange for the rear and a single adjustable Strange for the front.

And if it picks up a tenth it will be all because of me. If it doesn't pick up a tenth, that will be because of Bruce. So he will get credit too!!!! :mrgreen:

Hitchcock

#6 Post by Hitchcock » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:33 am

Going to Dyno the motor, new alternator wire, new heavier master disconnect switch, get a shock mount moved (spring rubs the frame). Other than that, just some nut and bolt checks, systems tests, and any other things I need to be race ready in the spring.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

wikd69

#7 Post by wikd69 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:58 pm

John_Heard wrote:That's a rough cost for a Callies Magnum & balancing
Is the Magnum that much better than the Dragonslayer ? Whats the difference ? I've been looking at the Dragonslayer as a possibility for my new build.

bracketchev1221

#8 Post by bracketchev1221 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:25 am

wikd69 wrote:Is the Magnum that much better than the Dragonslayer ? Whats the difference ? I've been looking at the Dragonslayer as a possibility for my new build.
Realistically how much power are you looking to make?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#9 Post by John_Heard » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:59 am

I believe the magnum is the same forging, but with more lightening work done to it.

wikd69

#10 Post by wikd69 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:45 am

bracketchev1221 wrote:
wikd69 wrote:Is the Magnum that much better than the Dragonslayer ? Whats the difference ? I've been looking at the Dragonslayer as a possibility for my new build.
Realistically how much power are you looking to make?
1000+ HP maybe ? I just bought a new stripped 871 competition blower and I'm probably going to end running injection on top of a 540. I don't really know what sort of power I'll end up making but the build will be an 8.5:1 @ 14+ lbs of boost. This isn't like a turbo or even a procharger build - the horsepower with this roots system is immediate and brutal. You can make bigger horsepower with a big turbo build but I've heard it referred to as 'soft' power cuz it comes on more gradually than the roots stuff.

bracketchev1221

#11 Post by bracketchev1221 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:21 am

The dragonslayer will be fine then. A compstar crank could probably hold what you want to do if you stay around 1000.

Mike Peters

#12 Post by Mike Peters » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:32 pm

I've read good feedback on a few message boards about Howard's crankshafts. Forged in the U.S. at Louisville Forging and machine finished by Callies. Reading the description in the Competition Products description, their Pro Max version sounds like the same features as the Callies Magnum only less expensive.

Howards Pro Max 4340 Crankshaft 4.5" stroke $1,499.95
100% American Made! Starting with the finest high purity 4340 aircraft quality alloy. Many manufacturers state they use 4340, but very few use the same quality. There is a difference! Forged by the experts in American crankshaft forgings, Louisville forge in Kentucky (again, only a few can state this). These forgings have high quantities of nickel and chromium, which insures strength and long service life. These forgings are shipped to the leader in high performance crankshaft machining, Callies Performance Products. They are machined to the highest specifications, with roundness within 60 millionths and taper being held to within .0003" on all rod and main diameters. All journals have .125" Tru-Form fillet radii. 1" Angalite lightening holes in all rod throws. Callies "Deep Case" hardening produces a wear layer that remains intact even if reground .010" under (other cranks have a hardness depth as little as .003"). Journals are micro-finished to 5 microns or better. The best forgings, the best machining, and the best hardening. Which crank will you run? Requires chamfered bearings.

Callies Magnum Plus Crankshaft 4.5" stroke $1,753.00
The next standard in high performance crankshafts. They feature shaped and profiled counterweights for enhanced windage reduction. Of course as all Callies cranks they use high purity 4340 alloy forging, close tolerance machining, and heat-treat. All throws have Angalite lightening holes and pin arms profiled. Small block cranks also feature gun drilled mains for additional weight savings. Typical big block weighs 68-74 pounds. Requires chamfered bearings.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

Hitchcock

#13 Post by Hitchcock » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:54 pm

I think that's the same crank dad uses in the 59/dragster engine.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

DOTracer

#14 Post by DOTracer » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:07 am

John_Heard wrote:That's a rough cost for a Callies Magnum & balancing
Don't forget new longer rods or taller compression height pistons to make up for the stroke loss.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#15 Post by John_Heard » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:13 am

It's time to put in new rods, that's the only reason I'm even considering it now.

Those Howard cranks sound pretty good. Having trouble finding anyone that's used one though.

Todd good to have you back on here...