Drag Racing Tech Article Index
Spark Plug Reading
- Spark Plug Reading 101 - How to read your spark plugs for optimizing fuel and timing.
- Blown Alcohol Plug Reading 101 - How to read spark plugs when using alcohol.
- Nitrous Spark Plug Examples - A collection of nitrous spark plugs collected over the years.
- Another good "How to read Spark Plugs"article
- Racing Spark Plug Cross Reference for Autolite, NGK and Champion
Ignition & Electronics
- How to setup a MSD Crank Trigger and Set Rotor Phasing - MSD's Flying Magnet Crank Trigger is pretty easy to setup with these instructions.
- MSD 7531 Troubleshooting - Collection of notes on troubleshooting MSD's Digital Ignition Boxes.
- MSD RPM Limiter and Retard Chip Resistance Value Chart - Check your chips to see if they are the correct ohm value to RPM limit or Retard what they should be doing.
- Nitrous Pressure Vs. Temperature Chart Handy Nitrous Pressure Chart, also has a PDF Version you can print out to hang in your shop or trailer.
- AN Reference Charts - Handy race car plumbing reference info such as Stainless Tubing OD to AN size chart
- NHRA / IHRA Approved Push Lock - Woven Hose Chart - Check to make sure that light weight hose you're buying will pass tech inspection!
- Drag Racing Tire Section and Tread Width Chart - Section widths of popular racing slicks and drag radials with different rim widths
- Racing Parachutes - Q & A with Bob Stroud of Stroud Safety, covers issues about installing, use and maintenance of a drag racing chute.
- Racing Seat Belts and Window Nets - Discussion on the use, care and application of racing seat belts and other restraints.
- Aluminum Master Cylinder Part Numbers - Automotive Parts Store PN's for race type master cylinders (Dodge/Chrysler)
- The Pros and Cons of Racing Vacuum Pumps - An in-depth Q & A with Greg Zucco, owner of GZ Motorsports.
- Powder Coating Equipment Review - Find out how easy it is to Powder Coat your own parts and get top notch results.
- Drag Racing Weight Reduction Ideas - Just a short list of things that can save weight.
- How to Make Nitrous Fuel Bleed Fittings - with pictures.
- How to install Big Block Chevy Valley Head Studs - Before your start your engine build, read this for some time saving tips on installing the "missing" inner head bolts on a Big Block Chevy.
- Nitrous Wiring Diagrams - Collection of wiring diagrams for Nitrous Systems.
- Video Software - Getting your movie up on the Internet.
- Kiss that Torch Good Bye - Get those nitrous bottles up to pressure the safe way.
Chassis and Suspension
- How Pinion Angle Affects Driveshaft Velocity - A collection of videos that help explain what happens when pinion angle changes and how traction devices such as Cal-Trac's benefit leaf spring race cars.
- Drag Racing Suspension Setup and Tuning - using Digital Video - Ready to record what you're doing at the race track? Read this series of articles to learn what to look for in a video camera, tips on videotaping your car and how to diagnose your launch.
- Using video to help setup your car and tune your Launch - Learn to tune your suspension using a video camera.
- Choosing a Racing Video Camera - Things to look for in a video camera.
The Budd Files
A great collection of chassis tuning and drag racing tech articles written by Patrick Budd when he was with ProCar Performance. This articles were orginally published years ago then the web site they were on went away, but we salvaged Patricks articles from it because they are great! Patrick agreed to let us reprint them, so enjoy...
- Wheelie Bars
- Top Ten, err... Eight, Avoidable Racer Mistakes
- So... You've got an old car, can't afford a new one, but ya just bought a nitrous 540 - what can ya do???
- Another angle on the nitrous camshaft selection process! The Camshaft as a Thermostat
- What's with all the double framerail talk?
- So, what's the secret to an arrow straight pass?
- Are You Adjusting Properly???
- The Sixty Foot Myth
- Four Link Tuning- IC's Versus Geometry