Settin' up the 4 link, again

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

shookler

Settin' up the 4 link, again

#1 Post by shookler » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:14 am

Ok guys, let me refresh your memories here. I had the 84 Olds with the BBC that was running the mid 10's and decided to lower the front end and screwed it all up. Well, I went to Daves seminar and I finally got around to working on the car again. The car sets level (measured on the rocker panal). I set the lower bar just a little nose high and as close to level as possible and the top bar nearly level as well, to match the bottom one. My question is this: I adjusted all four bars so that they are nearly tight, meaning no threads are showing on the ends. Is there a particular way that I need to adjust the length? Or do I use them to adjust the pinion angle? I dont recall or have in my notes Dave saying anything about this.

Also, I love the ride height now, but I need to change the front springs because of the way we shortened them. Should I get the Morosos and cut them? or fool with dropped spindles?

Thanks

LShook
"Knockin on 9's Door"
84 Olds Backhaved
496 "HAVIN FUN"
WV

David Lemmond

#2 Post by David Lemmond » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:04 am

You will need to use the bars to adjust your pinion angle and preload-if needed. I leave about a quarter of an inch of threads showing at both ends of the bar after you get the initial 4 link tune up set before preload. This will let you make preload adjustments if needed and also move the bars from hole to hole without running out of threads. Very few times have I made a IC change on a car without having to make the bars shorter or longer to keep the same pinion angle.
David Lemmond's Race Shop
Somerville, Al.
256-778-8888
Specializing in 10.5 tire cars chassis, suspension, and components.
67-69 Camaro, 68-74 Nova Tubular A-arms.
62-67 Chevy II tubular A-arms.