Anti rollbar ?s for my 69 nova

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

434 nova

Anti rollbar ?s for my 69 nova

#1 Post by 434 nova » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:28 pm

My mechanic told me i should look into a anti rollbar kit for my car. What is the benefits of having one ? Who makes a good product? Can the shocks that i have be reused they are new rancho 9000s our will i need a different ones. Will i be able to mount the shocks in stock location just the upper part will be moved in right? Thanks for any help i am new at this.

Dave Morgan

Re: Anti rollbar ?s for my 69 nova

#2 Post by Dave Morgan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:12 pm

The advantage of the antiroll bar is that it reduces roll-rotation during the launch and gear changes. This will help the car launch and drive in a straight line. Yes, you will be able to use your old shocks, assuming they were in good shape before you added the anti-roll bar.
Brand names: I'd look at bars that have splined ends on the torsion bar and adjustable arms with holes so that the link between the torsion bar and the differential housing can be placed closer to the torsion bar (which is stiffer), or further from the torsion bar (which is softer.)
You didn't mention how stock the rear suspension is, but you may wish to look at some of the anti-roll bars that replace OEM applications. This would be a non-adjustable bar that bolts to the housing with the links spanning to the frame. They are much easier to install than a universal anti-roll bar kit.
I hope this helps.
Dave
Author of "Doorslammers: The Chassisbook"
Drag Racing Chassis Seminars and Videos

434 nova

#3 Post by 434 nova » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:35 pm

My rear suspenion consist of caltracs with split mono leafs, bolton subframe conncetors that are welded and rancho 9000 shocks. I was looking at the trz one or the compettion enginering kits. Any brand in particular that you have great succes with? Thanks

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:12 am

Can you give us some more background on the car? How fast is it? Why do you think you need an anti-roll bar? Not nit-picking just trying to help ya make a good decision on this.

vegaracer

#5 Post by vegaracer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:23 am

I run a Bears bar, but its not adjustable on the arms like what Dave is talking about. And it may take a bit of cutting to work with your stock floor.
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

shookler

#6 Post by shookler » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:54 pm

I have the Comp Engineering one in mine. Was very easy to put in. What I did notice is the car launches near even every time. (level) I am not sure I have it adjusted completely right, but, since I am going back to one of Daves seminars this weekend, and I will have my car WITH me, I am sure I will get it checked. See you this weekend Dave.

lshook
84 Olds Backhaved
496 "HAVIN FUN"
WV

Dave Morgan

#7 Post by Dave Morgan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:22 pm

Nova,
That comment about cutting up the stock floor gave me a smile. I helped install a Dick Miller unit on a early-70's Buick and we had to hack the daylights out of the car. I haven't seen the Comp Engineering unit, but if it can be installed with a minimum of cutting, that's good. I would simply be careful not to buy an anti-roll bar that was designed for tubeframe cars. They can be made to fit by cutting the floor and they require a rear frame rail package as you would see on a backhalf car. I'll research this some and return to the post.
Dave

434 nova

#8 Post by 434 nova » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:53 pm

The car hasn't been to the track yet but i would predict it run low 9's it a 434 sbc with a 350 shot. My mechanic who has built lots of 8 second cars says i am gonna defently need one. He said that the car wont have that nasty body flex with and anti rollbar and highly recommened it to me.

shookler

#9 Post by shookler » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:39 pm

Mine went between the framerails and no hacking was required because I am backhalved on my olds. Dave said I needed it and I listened. We went from a 4 foot left front wheel in the air with a bumper dragging right rear to a very nice level leaving package. We did do some 4 link tuning along the way but I bet if I take it off I will be back to the high front left. We are easily in the 9's but still working on the comp lic. We did pass the chassic cert with ease though and now on to the next step.

lshook
84 Olds Backhaved
496 "HAVIN FUN"
WV

John_Heard
Site Admin

#10 Post by John_Heard » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:08 am

434 nova wrote:The car hasn't been to the track yet but i would predict it run low 9's it a 434 sbc with a 350 shot. My mechanic who has built lots of 8 second cars says i am gonna defently need one. He said that the car wont have that nasty body flex with and anti rollbar and highly recommened it to me.
At low 9's yes you'll probably want one. I've been using a Vanishing Point anti-roll bar in mine. I have heard that the ones with splines tend to not last long as the splines wear, but I haven't had any first hand experience with that. Here's a picture of how I mounted mine;

ytnova

#11 Post by ytnova » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:51 am

TRZ makes a rear anti roll bar kit made for our nova's, I think it runs around 300 bucks.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

Dave Morgan

#12 Post by Dave Morgan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:22 am

Mako,
That's a tidy setup you have there!
I haven't see the splines twist on those torsion bars, but have seen the holes elongate on the bolt-through design.
Dave

Ron69SS

#13 Post by Ron69SS » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:48 pm

434 nova wrote:The car hasn't been to the track yet but i would predict it run low 9's it a 434 sbc with a 350 shot. My mechanic who has built lots of 8 second cars says i am gonna defently need one. He said that the car wont have that nasty body flex with and anti rollbar and highly recommened it to me.
First, get it to run low nines.
I have the cal tracs, split monos etc. Mine does run low nines and it leaves dead straight. I don't have an anti roll bar.
I do have a full cage with the front bars. The car is damn stiff. It doesnt have any nasty body flex.
Seems to me that you can adjust the preload on the cal tracs to keep the car level.
I guess I'm puzzled why a leaf spring car with cal tracs would need one?
Ron
69 Nova, 498", 9.91 @ 133.63 with 4.10's
10.0's with the 3.73's, sometimes.
9.41 @ 143 with a 150 shot
Pump gas, NA, Driven to and from the strip

supernova

#14 Post by supernova » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:47 pm

I'm with Ron69ss on this one.
Leaf spring cars don't react like ladder bar or 4-link cars do. What I have found is that anti roll bars work on ladder and 4 link cars for a reason and that is because those rear ends are more free floating to the body of the car and can benefit from the anti roll bar. A leaf spring car rear end does not free float. I've seen that putting a anti-roll bars on a leaf spring car will tie the rear end down and not allow it to work as it should. In most cases the anti-roll bar only covers up bad suspension tunning of a leaf spring set up.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#15 Post by John_Heard » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:39 am

supernova wrote:I'm with Ron69ss on this one.
Leaf spring cars don't react like ladder bar or 4-link cars do. What I have found is that anti roll bars work on ladder and 4 link cars for a reason and that is because those rear ends are more free floating to the body of the car and can benefit from the anti roll bar. A leaf spring car rear end does not free float. I've seen that putting a anti-roll bars on a leaf spring car will tie the rear end down and not allow it to work as it should. In most cases the anti-roll bar only covers up bad suspension tunning of a leaf spring set up.
Don't know that I agree with that statement but...

I put mine on when I had some serious twist going on, enough to top out the left shock at full tight, but what it really needed was good shocks that could control the hit. It did make the car leave straight and level.

So I have to partially agree with what you're saying, a lot of the time an anti-roll bar is a cover up for poor shocks. On the other hand, I do think they're useful even with good shocks. Tell ya what, I'll leave mine in and you don't run one. First one that posts a low 1.20 60' wins...