Pinion Angle Test

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

John_Heard
Site Admin

#16 Post by John_Heard » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:19 am

LOL - sounds like a friend of mine who makes a major change and the car runs almost the same, don't ya hate it when that happens?

I was looking under the car last night and still haven't figured out a way to measure the twist. Video is about the easiest thing to do, I think I'll start there and see if I can at least see what it's doing. I'll rig up a place under the car for the camera this week and hope to have it out testing Friday.

csvette3023

#17 Post by csvette3023 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:12 pm

Here is info. from Mark Williams Ent. on driveshaft angle.

Operating Angle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating angles in a driveshaft are the angles between the pinion, driveshaft and transmission centerlines. The optimal angle for any driveshaft to run at is 0 degrees, where many vibrational and frictional problems are non-existent. In order to minimize power loss and vibration in an offset configuration, the pinion centerline and the transmission centerline need to be parallel. In general, the largest angle for racing applications should be 2 degrees and the centerlines should be parallel within 1/2 degree. If the centerlines are off too far, the u-joints travel at different speeds causing vibration (this is the same problem induced by poorly phased end yokes). This vibration is hard to distinguish from an unbalanced driveshaft.

http://markwilliams.com/driveshafttech.aspx
Matt Beumer
70 B/S 402/375 Nova
N.H.R.A./I.H.R.A.

"STICK STOCKERS ARE WAY COOL!"